The week that was in Thailand news: The end of the beginning - trepidation as we grapple with what the "New Normal" might mean

rooster59

You should have decamped to the wife’s family up here in Loei Rooster. Life has barely changed. The only noticeable difference is that more people (not everyone) are wearing face masks and some shops have sanitisers at the entrance. Beer was getting difficult to purchase towards the end of the ban, but could be found if you hunted around.

Last week we had an inaugural opening of a ban phu paid for by a now wealthy ex-resident. It was attended by at least 100 people all huddled closely together in the available shade. One of the few people to wear a mask was the phu yai ban, but he discarded it once the after show party (complete with music, booze and 30 somethings) commenced. 

Covid-19? Not up here thank you very much. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, PaDavid said:

You should have decamped to the wife’s family up here in Loei Rooster. Life has barely changed. The only noticeable difference is that more people (not everyone) are wearing face masks and some shops have sanitisers at the entrance. Beer was getting difficult to purchase towards the end of the ban, but could be found if you hunted around.

Last week we had an inaugural opening of a ban phu paid for by a now wealthy ex-resident. It was attended by at least 100 people all huddled closely together in the available shade. One of the few people to wear a mask was the phu yai ban, but he discarded it once the after show party (complete with music, booze and 30 somethings) commenced. 

Covid-19? Not up here thank you very much. 

Not for me thanks. Mrs R is threatening to go for the last month of the school "hols", that'll be break enough. I shall stay in the land of the living. Bangkok has been peaceful, clean and pleasant. The countryside has never been for me. However, I might pop up for a few days if the rains come and the temperature drops below 35C. 

Rooster

• Like 1

14 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Talking of people making mega bucks reminded me about the guys who made a mint running some private bus companies.

Their idea to self-publicise their success story with a website went through the roof after they registered the name bigbustycoons.com

A bit like the person trying to help people with their problems who had difficulty with the space bar. The rapist.

Rooster

• Haha 2

Another great edition Rooster, Thanks.  I read the story of the old expat getting arrested

for being on the dreaded toxic beach of Pattaya, and then wonder how TAT and the 

Thai government is going to get tourists to come back to Thailand?  Seeing the taped off beach         area in Jomtien beach as well, I keep thinking that there will have to be a different slogan for

the new tourism in the future.   At least the PM and government ministers have the brains

to wear their masks when close to other public people.  The US president and VP seem to

have no respect of others even their war veterns by standing close to them without masks.

I think that America and maybe Russia will end up having the most cases and deaths from

the Covid19 virus, as they will not even social distance, let alone wear masks or gloves to try            keep safe from the virus.   Anyway good luck to all the Thai people and expats there and have

a drink or two, when the benelovent government sees fit to give all of you a bit more

freedom. Cheers and Chok Dee!

Geezer

• Like 1

On 5/10/2020 at 3:59 AM, Samui Bodoh said:

The Thai Social Compact (the 'Unwritten Rules' of society) is a complex and nuanced organism, and one that I do not fully understand. That said, it is clearly hierarchical and every hierarchical organizational structure has a few common elements to it. Those at the top receive respect, deference, power, flattery, a few privileges, etc. BUT, in return for those perks/benefits, there is a corresponding obligation to 'take care of' those below. It seems to me that this provision of the Thai Social Compact is beginning to fray because the Rich and Powerful aren't keeping their end of the bargain. And, people are noticing. 

Did they ever ??

It was only the extreme growth of the asian tiger economy years and Tackys economic decentralization / expansion of development out to the provinces which caused a dribble down effect to the lower echelons.