Life in a quiet/ crazy Issan village

colinneil

1 minute ago, CharlieH said:

When you're in the boonies its always good to kerp a length if pipe, elbows, connectors and a tin of glue in the cupboard .

With the "spares" and stuff I got I reckon I could open a bloody shop ! 

Amazing what you learn to keep and aquire when living in the countryside.

Great idea Charlie, if it was just the pipe he broke it could have been easily fixed, i have pipe, bends , glue etc.

Problem was he broke the connection at the meter, not the pipe, so nothing i could do.

How he managed that i have no idea, its about 450 mill above the ground.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, colinneil said:

Great idea Charlie, if it was just the pipe he broke it could have been easily fixed, i have pipe, bends , glue etc.

Problem was he broke the connection at the meter, not the pipe, so nothing i could do.

Not so easy to get a new meter, have to be a drive to mom n pop builders place to get one for us. There aint no one to call here, gotta sort it yourself or know a man who can. ????

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, colinneil said:

He's obviously got it down to an art. Well some sort of artist anyway.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

When you're in the boonies its always good to kerp a length if pipe, elbows, connectors and a tin of glue in the cupboard .

I have two big barrels full of the stuff,anything you can imagine!

Somehow when i want to build something or even a repair,the part i need is not there and i end up going to the shop again.Lately not much going on.

We have underground 2' plastic pipe and i always have to tell the gardener to watch out and not break a pipe while digging  somewhere.He forgot a few times but now he realizes he is the one that has to dig it all up and fix it.

• Like 2

My kid ripped the outside water pipe out of the main feed to the house earlier this week.

Down to the local plastic shop ........ 2 glue joints 20bht, pot of PVC glue 20bht, hacksaw 60bht.

It was a stupid place for a tap anyway .............. holy poop, that was hot work!

IMG_20200505_114929.jpg

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, CharlieH said:

My emergency glue (of any kind) is always solid when I need it.

My local plastic shop is only 600m away, no need for me to keep any parts.

• Like 1

Moved out of my tiny, 'quiet' village, Village No 18..........cannot stand the noise.

Motorbikes, rice tractors, cocks (various types), temple speakers, village speakers, hawkers with PA systems, 5 day funerals, personal music systems, dog fights.....never mind the charcoal cooking and constant bonfires for no apparent reason.........moved into a Thai 'resort' (a no tell Motel).....heaven at B500/day.

Free electricity, free water, room cleaned and new towels and linen everyday, proper shower and toilet....sorted.

Edited by Surelynot

58 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My emergency glue (of any kind) is always solid when I need it.

My local plastic shop is only 600m away, no need for me to keep any parts.

Simply store it in the fridge. I always had this problem with the super glue. With the fridge it holds years after being opened. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

58 minutes ago, cmsally said:

Well lets see you had "fire" the other week, "water" this week , so I think that leaves earth and air! Watch out for wind damage next week maybe ! :w00t:

Or another quake!

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Daffy D said:

The other day watched a neighbor do some pipe work at his place. 

He had a pair of special cutters, a bit like garden sheers, to cut the blue plastic pipe, made the job dead easy.

I'd never seen these before, always used a hacksaw, but that has the problem of cleaning up the rough edges and all that. This tool made a nice clean job ready for gluing, AND had the advantage of using in confined space, like the ground, where a hacksaw is notoriously difficult to use. 

Shall definitely be looking for one of these on my next trip.

Nah, you gotta sand the pipe anyway, otherwise there's bound to be grease on it, so you won't get a good joint.

Confined space, you just take the hacksaw blade off, wrap some tape around one end, and use it free hand.

There's no tool smaller than a bare hs blade.