Life in a quiet/ crazy Issan village

colinneil

11 hours ago, Daffy D said:

Edited by geronimo

This is why I prefer condo living, no grass to cut.

At my GF's house in the village, I give her father 200 baht occasionally to do a bit of gardening. He's 87, so not much gets achieved, but it's important to him to be doing something. He can still squat on his haunches for a couple of hours weeding.

No way I would give him any kind of power tool, apart from defeating the purpose of the exercise, he'd probably kill himself or someone else with it.

On 5/10/2020 at 12:58 PM, CharlieH said:

When you're in the boonies its always good to kerp a length if pipe, elbows, connectors and a tin of glue in the cupboard .

With the "spares" and stuff I got I reckon I could open a bloody shop ! 

Amazing what you learn to keep and aquire when living in the countryside.

I used to keep a pickaxe handle at my door in the UK, though never had to use it, but no need for it here.

Sister in law wanted one of the small bushes on side of house. Of course without asking... what is mine is theirs so they think..

yep she broke the water line....  even worse had 6 full scrubs 2-1/2 meters tall on side blocked looking at the neighbors house...

get up look outside papa decided to move them to the front wall....

and everyone dead as a door nail...

Like many things in Thailand, stuff just doesn't last, but water pipework in my experience is the worst, closely followed by electrics.

I've lost count how many broken pipes, leaks that I have had to either repair, or be replaced. Now we're not in Thailand full time we always have the local 'jack of all trades' ready to respond to any reported fountain or flood.

In the rest of my life from houses I've either owned or rented in the US, China, Singapore, Taiwan, I can only ever remember two water events

Edited by GinBoy2

On 5/12/2020 at 6:13 PM, GinBoy2 said:

Like many things in Thailand, stuff just doesn't last, but water pipework in my experience is the worst, closely followed by electrics.

I've lost count how many broken pipes, leaks that I have had to either repair, or be replaced. Now we're not in Thailand full time we always have the local 'jack of all trades' ready to respond to any reported fountain or flood.

In the rest of my life from houses I've either owned or rented in the US, China, Singapore, Taiwan, I can only ever remember two water events

You would think that when they install  water meters outside a property, the final 2 foot should be made of thick stainless steel pipe. Strong enough to withstand a hit from a weedwhacker. 

• Like 2