Is anyone missing travelling or even not being able to plan anything?

Keyser Soze666

8 minutes ago, Greg O said:

Hua Hin beaches never closed. Most hotels closed but several guest houses and Airbnb, Oyo are available. Many restaurants are open now as well. Come on down ...

Thanks, but Hua Hin would be our first pit stop for 1-2 nights, then onto Ao Nang for 1-2 nights, then Ko Lanta for 9-10 nights then back to Hua Hin for a night to break the 20 hour total journey into too upon our return.

We spent a week in Hua Hin last year, nice place, and we try to see new places each trip, that said Ko Lanta from what we hear is basically closed and your not allowed to travel yet and the hotel chain that we would be staying at in Hua Hin as we did last time are closed, as is the same one in Ao Nang, those hotels are family friendly and suite out needs.

Edited by 4MyEgo

The wife has had to cancel a couple of flights to her hometown to see her mum ,and i was going to fly to the UK later ,but to be honest not a greatproblem ,just wish there were flights so my royal mail stuff could leave Heathrow , lets hope it gets better in 3/4 months , but who knows . 

2 hours ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

It will if that bar never opens again and the girls have gone. Don't kid yourself, things won't be the same for a very long time.

The thing about Vietnam, there's no hiso owning every building and demanding high rents.

The shops all have a family living out back, and they sell whatever they can.

One week it might be a bar, the next week mobile phones of fruit.

And there are loads of freelancers cruising the streets and parks.

I'm absolutely certain, if they open the borders the girls will still be there selling what they have. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BritManToo said:

My last trip to Saigon in an afternoon bar (only customer) the girl had taken me from outside seating to inside seating with the door closed in about 2 minutes. So we could be more private ........ don't think that's ever gonna change.

3 hours ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

It will if that bar never opens again and the girls have gone. Don't kid yourself, things won't be the same for a very long time.

It's amazing how a shot of reality can pop an overinflated balloon.

2 hours ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Sure, maybe still better than nothing, but think I would find the whole experience frustrating, and it's very much settling for second best. And no bars or restaurants are selling beer, so left with the 'back door' option, sorry but just don't see the point.

I found nothing frustrating about the 7 provinces i drove through.

I also had beers at several different place.

I certainly see the point but up to you...

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

have you done it? 

i don't think they want anyone traveling unnecessarily until the state of emergency is over.

Yes, i've travelled 1100kms in the last 5 days, going away again soon.

There's loads of cars on the road, it's nothing like it was 3 weeks ago.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Yes feeling it very hard of late, never one to ponder or be depressed, but being cooped up in the house since the kids (4) started school holidays around 5 March, although we do have a big house, it's cool and the kids have lots of gadgets, games and toys to amuse themselves with, albeit it the 2 girls have their cat fights daily....lol.

We did have plans to go south to Hua Hin, Ao Nang and then onto Ko Lanta when the kids school holidays started, but we didn't book anything as we waited to see how this Covid-19 was panning out, then they closed the waterholes down on the 20th March that I frequented at least 3 times a week, then the following month they banned alcohol sales for 3 weeks as we know, not a big drinker, but was starting to worry if they extended it because I was down to my last nips, then they lifted the ban, hip hip hooray, I like to know I have the option to pour me a drink at night when watching TV, the thought of not having one when I want one, wasn't pleasing, that said I do go nights without, so I am no alcoholic.

The weather of late hitting the 40's is yuk, but like I said, indoors it's cool although had put on 2 A/C's around 12pm and 2 pm just to send that cooler feeling throughout the house.

I miss going out to the waterholes and listening to the BS and the local gossip, playing pool, as opposed to staying home, although not complaining, have a fantastic energetic wife who doesn't stop cooking, baking etc etc and both the foods and sweets she makes are to die for. We sit at the front and have our morning coffees, talk, and then have a game of badminton for 30 minutes before it gets to hot, then she will go for her workout while I hit the laptop.

We are now planning to go down to Hua Hin, Ao Nang and onto Ko Lanta for 10-14 days, 10 will be on Ko Lanta, just want to sit on the beach under some shade sinking a couple of cold ones, dropping in and out of coma's while the kids have fun on the beach, eat at restaurants, look at some eye candy, get a massage and maybe a boner ????

I also don't want to sound ungrateful as we have all the luxuries one would want in a village in Isaan and when I see my neighbors and how they cope in this weather in their timber huts with iron roofs, I tell myself that prison life in our big prison cell is good and we will get out of here soon, hopefully by the end of the month.

Went and got my flu and pneumonia vaccine today, so ready to go, and when the Dr was jabbing me, I said can you also give me the Covid-19 one as well, she looked at me, thought about it and then started laughing, who said Thai's don't have a sense of humor ?

Hang in there, we are all in the same boat and we are all going to the same destination. An old Greek saying my mum used to say to me when things were down, e.g. "as long as we have our health, nothing else matters", a lot of truth in that.

When do you plan to go to Ao Nang?

Could you pls report back with what hotels / restaraunts / beaches and islands are open, i plan to go end of the month if all good.

Thx,

• Like 1

Agree 101 percent. Life is not worth living if I'm unable to go wherever I want whenever I want and get hold of whatever I desire at any one time especially when I have the dough for it. Whatever the world/economy/human race have to suffer is beyond my control, besides it doesn't concern me one bit since I'm not the culprit. But this is too far worse than concentration camps or the black plague (either of those were beyond my time and I could only imagine.) Anyway, I'm already beginning to look for an alternative. Arrivedeci mia caro dolce vita (pardon my Italian.)

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

lol

Why would i lie?

Like i said up to you, i'll go out and restore some form of normality while you stay at home scared.

Enjoy.

Yes, that's right. You are normally travelling all over and finding 'several' places to drink despite a blanket alcohol ban in all bars and restaurants. Just like normal times.

Like I said, i believe you.

As for me being scared lol. We can't all be tough guys braving these (boring) provinces lol.

Enjoy.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mulambana said:

I am already two months overdue in Thailand. Usually I stay here for 6-months. It is already 8-months and possibility of returning to Las Vegas or Benidorm in the new future.

How do you find Benidorm, out of interest. I've never been, but seems to be a bit like Europe's Pattaya, ie many look down their noses at it, and say it isn't even Spain? I love Spain.

1 hour ago, HashBrownHarry said:

When do you plan to go to Ao Nang?

Could you pls report back with what hotels / restaraunts / beaches and islands are open, i plan to go end of the month if all good.

Thx,

We plan on going as soon as they open the gates, "and their racing"...........

As we have 2 girls and 2 teenage boys, we want the girls with us and find the family room at iBis to be perfect as they provide a double bunk for the girls in the room, and it's about 30m2, big enough with a balcony, only thing don't like is there is no window in the bathroom and it is a bit tight, that said, the breakfast is plentiful, and the pools are good and there is always parking, so would recommend iBis depending on your budget and how many kids you have. The teenagers get their own room across the hallway as that is what we request and it works out well.

There are plenty of beaches to go to, just a matter of driving around, or walk down the side street of iBis and you will find one about 300 metres away.

Google maps is a good tool to use to find places, like hotels, restaurants, and beaches. 

I believe 1 June is the date they will lift the restrictions, so best keep an eye on TVF for updates, then get out of the gate.

5 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

As we have 2 girls and 2 teenage boys, we want the girls with us and find the family room at iBis to be perfect as they provide a double bunk for the girls in the room, and it's about 30m2, big enough with a balcony, only thing don't like is there is no window in the bathroom and it is a bit tight, that said, the breakfast is plentiful, and the pools are good and there is always parking, so would recommend iBis depending on your budget and how many kids you have. The teenagers get their own room across the hallway as that is what we request and it works out well.

There are plenty of beaches to go to, just a matter of driving around, or walk down the side street of iBis and you will find one about 300 metres away.

Google maps is a good tool to use to find places, like hotels, restaurants, and beaches. 

I believe 1 June is the date they will lift the restrictions, so best keep an eye on TVF for updates, then get out of the gate.

HashBrownHarry doesn't need gates opened and restrictions lifted, oh no. Didn't you see he just roams around the country as normal, even finding 'several' places to drink beer, while the rest of us stay at home 'scared'

• Haha 1

Interesting to read how you spend your time through the year. - Myself not having been abroad since seven years. Though occasionally missing a trip to a different country, Europe or Africa, but then a bit lazy to board a plane and to not have the comfort as here. - In Thailand however often on road trips, and commuting from the East coast to the North twice a year, where I live in a hut for the rainy and cold season, in the midst of green, whereas I am in the midst of Wongamat towers in the hot season. - Often on remote roads, off road and mountains, and in remote cities or the countryside, that I like. 20'000 km a year or more on average, in quite a cool four wheel car that is light and fun to drive. 

Spent these last weeks indoors mostly, or then training my woman friend how to drive well, motorbikes and car,s. Was surprised to see the extremely low tariffs of rental cars, not imaginable, a great time to send the woman practising driving on her own, with occasional instructions. - Also cooking and baking new things, a hobby, and then on weekdays following the financial markets, stocks and some other items. 

But now badly missing hitting the road, hotels and restaurants, new places. 

1 hour ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Yes, i've travelled 1100kms in the last 5 days, going away again soon.

There's loads of cars on the road, it's nothing like it was 3 weeks ago.

The info above gave me quite some relief, and I will soon hit the road if that is so as said by HashBrownHarry to see what can be done presently. 

Is there another thread on the forum about just road trips in Thailand?

Edited by inwardglee

36 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Yes, that's right. You are normally travelling all over and finding 'several' places to drink despite a blanket alcohol ban in all bars and restaurants. Just like normal times.

Like I said, i believe you.

As for me being scared lol. We can't all be tough guys braving these (boring) provinces lol.

Enjoy.

You have no idea, do you, i'm merely stating facts, beleive what you will.

You also prove how little you know if you think all provinces are boring.

No idea....

22 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Nice one, thanks for the info.

No kids, just the wife.

17 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

HashBrownHarry doesn't need gates opened and restrictions lifted, oh no. Didn't you see he just roams around the country as normal, even finding 'several' places to drink beer, while the rest of us stay at home 'scared'

That's right, like many of the Thais have been doing for several weeks already.

You should really get out more and find out what's going on in the real world.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

How do you find Benidorm, out of interest. I've never been, but seems to be a bit like Europe's Pattaya, ie many look down their noses at it, and say it isn't even Spain? I love Spain.

Benidorm has something for everyone - in that regard it is a bit like Pattaya (except for the entertainment industry).

Kiss me quick hats, British style pubs, promenade full of mobility scooters with UK benefit claimants.................. plus a delightful old town with exceptional tapas restaurants and bars.

I can shuttle back and forth between my condo in Chiang Rai and my GF's village.

I would like to go down to Chiang Mai to catch up with friends and buy some stuff I can't find in CR, but I don't want to get caught up in any quarantine or Immigration BS. On hold until the situation is clearer.

5 hours ago, Greg O said:

The concept of social distancing is absurd in any business and complete lunacy in an airport or airplane

this sums it all up nice and neat. i am also baffled by all of this garbage. i went to yaowalat yesterday and there was so much social distancing i had to rub my eyes in disbelief. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

That's right, like many of the Thais have been doing for several weeks already.

You should really get out more and find out what's going on in the real world.

Haha that old chesnut. The real world? What like Nakhon Nowhere, drinking cheap beer and eating mama's noodles out of a roadside hut,  pretending to be all Thai in your vest and sandals. Nah, you can keep the real world.

Oooh, look at me I'm so different...and extremely boring I have no doubts!

13 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

No problem at all. Just look in the province you are living or staying in. I am pretty sure there will be at least 100 places to visit and things to do that you never thought about.

Erh, i think you have two too many zero's.

10 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Haha that old chesnut. The real world? What like Nakhon Nowhere, drinking cheap beer and eating mama's noodles out of a roadside hut,  pretending to be all Thai in your vest and sandals. Nah, you can keep the real world.

Oooh, look at me I'm so different...and extremely boring I have no doubts!

Hilarious.

Are those conditions better than yours? lol