Is anyone missing travelling or even not being able to plan anything?

Keyser Soze666

24 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I can shuttle back and forth between my condo in Chiang Rai and my GF's village.

I would like to go down to Chiang Mai to catch up with friends and buy some stuff I can't find in CR, but I don't want to get caught up in any quarantine or Immigration BS. On hold until the situation is clearer.

Similarly, I have done 3 trips between Chonburi and Buriram.

No issues. At the army controlled border point, coming into Buriram, they took my details (passport, phone number, address, photo of me with the car). My Buriram Healthy sticker remains untouched in my passport.

6 hours ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

But it's still gonna be social distancing in the bars and restaurants there, so your trips won't be the same as before, not for a long time, if ever.

Wrong, most places in Vietnam are fully back to normal.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I’m stranded in Australia. In January booked a 6 month trip to Thailand and Europe, $6,000 lost, maybe get a bit back from Airbnb, but probably nothing from airlines.

I’m not a very social person, when in Australia mostly just watch TV, read, and play computer games, so lockdown involving closure of restaurants and bars doesn’t affect me at all, as long as I’m allowed to exercise outside (revenge of the nerds?). I do love international travel though, around 8 months every year in the 9 years since I’ve been retired.

The only part of lockdown that does affect me is the ban on international travel. So, since Australia probably won’t open its borders for at least the next 2 years, that’s how long lockdown will last for me.

20 minutes ago, Ron jeremy said:

Wrong, most places in Vietnam are fully back to normal.

Utter nonsense. Have you got a source for this claim, can you put it up? This is from Vietnam news on 24th April..

People in Vietnam are beginning to resume activities that were banned for more than three weeks following an outbreak of COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus.  

As the sun rose in the sky Friday, a glass noodle vendor smiled because she could finally admit customers again. Elsewhere, a group of friends took advantage of the lifting of restrictions to go to the tennis courts and play. 

Now that employees are returning to offices, officials say the transition will be gradual and limited to stave off the resurgence of a virus that has been unpredictable.  

Restrictions include fines for people who do not wear masks outside, a maximum of 20 people in any gathering, and continued closures for some businesses such as bars. 

Salons, zoos, festivals and other businesses deemed to be entertainment or luxuries remain closed as well. Beyond those sectors, other businesses are not sure how they are categorized, so they are waiting for the green light from authorities to resume operations.  

7 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Me too, missing my trips to Cambodia and Vietnam.

Don't get me wrong, the misses and the kids are great, just miss the whoring, smoking, $1 beer drinking sessions in Cambodia and Vietnam every few months.

Don't need the planes to fly, just the Poipet/Aranyapratet land border open will do, I can get the bus.

You taking the misses , with you to Cambodia , and  Nam ...555

Edited by elliss

39 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Nah, I think that´s just your negativity taking charge and suppressing your will to explore the surroundings.

Ah ok, great wisdom. I'll go and explore the surroundings, will get my Mum to prepare me a packed lunch.

3 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Ah ok, great wisdom. I'll go and explore the surroundings, will get my Mum to prepare me a packed lunch.

Lucky you! Living with your mum in Thailand. Take her with you out. She will enjoy it. ???? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, elliss said:

You taking the misses , with you to Cambodia , and  Nam ...555

I learned my first year out here, not to truck women around, 'cos there's always plenty of hungry ladies wherever you go in Asia.

I don't pay my misses enough for her to afford to go on holiday.

I must admit to being quite down. I was in the process of giving up my flat in BKK and moving on from Thailand and going back to Taiwan on March 29 where I had work lined up and a flat paid through the end of the year. Then March 18th got word Taiwan was closing but bungled it and couldn't get a flight out before midnight and work most likely gone. Normally my life requires international mobility. Now I'm stuck in my flat in Bkk with 80%+ of my stuff in storage and don't know when I can get back to my home in Taiwan. I usually only spend 4 months a year here and am not here for the worst of the summer. I am more depressed than I have been in quite some time.

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, samtam said:

I feel no desire to travel at all. My last trip away was over a year ago, to Shanghai. Shortly thereafter I started a major renovation of our apartment, which took up until the end of 2019, and for the duration we were staying in an upmarket serviced apartment, (which was a change in itself to living at home). I went on site every day for 6 months. After completion I redecorated (the interior design), and during that time there were snags to be sorted. Then everything was tickety-boo, except there were signs in January/February that things were going awry from Chinese visitors and the (then much-less) known about CV19.

Now we are able to enjoy the "new" flat, (sans pool and gym, sadly), and I have had little problem self-isolating for 6 weeks, (asking the maid not to come in, altho' still paying her in full), and that experience has curbed my appetite to be in any crowd, (especially ones associated with air travel, or travel at all). I find my daily routine is filling every waking hour; cleaning all the balcony doors this morning, (which are one side of the apartment) was a major workout in itself. 

Take one day at a time. Make everything work now. 

Luckily I am in a happy relationship of 35 years, and we are able to enjoy the flat, cooking and prepping for dinner with a cocktail or two...stirred not shaken. 

And to be honest I'm happy to be in Thailand where the CV epidemic has be far better managed than in the USA or the UK.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Well getting out is really no problem if you have a car or decent motorbike. Been on several short road trips from Hua Hin and never been stopped. Typically a smile and a wave through at a checkpoint. I'm not talking about Pattaya or Phuket of course. Once you're out in the countryside people are very friendly and helpful. Plenty of noodle shops and local restaurants open and emergency food is always available at good ole 7 eleven. I carry emergency rations (beer and wine) in the event of native unrest....Enjoy the rest of the movie !

• Like 2

I understand we are all good through the end of July concerning expiring Visa Extensions. My original

O-A Visa Extension expires July 7th. The plan is to exit Thailand with our a Re-entry Permit. Re-enter Visa Exempt, apply for 90 Day and then new "O Visa" for retirement. Biting my nails starting in June ... exit permitted? Re-entry permitted? Yikes!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can renew up to 45 days in advance of your expiration date per immigration. I spoke with them last week while doing my 90 day check in. Coming back visa exempt has always worked before they may even give you a hug .  

My dad was meant to be here now and I'd planned a nice trip including suphanburi, pitsulanok, phrae, nan, lampang, lab lae, lopburi, Nakhon Pathom, ao manao and hua hin. Instead the only thing to look forward to now is waiting for my new French press and coffee beans to be delivered.

A good friend just got here from Phrae yesterday by car and reports no issues. Only a couple of checkpoints and they rarely look up from their phones. It's fairly obvious the cops are thoroughly bored with the whole charade as well...put the window down, smile and wave but a crisp salute works better. They love the acknowledgement .

20 hours ago, seasia said:

Hi

Yes, very similar feelings to yourself.

I usually have a trip to Italy every year, then sometimes tag on 1 or 2 other European countries.

I stay in a small town near the city of Como ( north lakes area), 10kms. from the Italy/Swiss border  so an easy day trip.

Stunning scenery, clean air, great food etc.

I liked the stay so much I had decided to re locate from Thailand to Italy. This year.

Not currently possible, maybe later this year I hope although I do not really want to arrive nor stay in the winter months.

More locally I think I would prefer to spend some time in Vietnam, prefer it over Thailand.

Hope not too long for each of us to have more travel freedom.

Ah yes  Como used to drive from there up to Silvaplana in Switzerland to stay at my surgeon friends house back in the 80''s.

slidess (1773).JPG

21 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Agree 100%

Not got to the depressed stage yet but I fully understand the growing frustration.

Today, we should have been flying to Spain for a month. With the temperatures around here touching 40c your words resonate with me.

For many reasons I am happy to be here, but it doesn't prevent me having the same thoughts as you.

Add me to your list please, i do not want to go anyplace but do not like the feeling that i cant.

I too was hoping to go to the UK this year - first time in two years.  Can't go now and don't know when I will be able to go.

Having said that at least it is warm here, can see my friends and plenty of food available.  Also toilet rolls -55555555.

Better here than in the UK - just wish I could get off the island.

20 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Yes, i've travelled 1100kms in the last 5 days, going away again soon.

There's loads of cars on the road, it's nothing like it was 3 weeks ago.

I assume your NOT in Phuket as cant see how you you would get off the island as only those seeking to return home( Bridge just opened for this)  are given permission to travel and up 10 days ago, we were in a lock down of the sub districts

Edited by zzzzz

8 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

I assume your NOT in Phuket as cant see how you you would get off the island as only those seeking to return home( Bridge just opened for this)  are given permission to travel and up 10 days ago, we were in a lock down of the sub districts

You assume correct.

We had a trip booked to Australia leaving on May 1 planned a year ago cancelled.

A further trip to the UK late August advised today outbound and return flights cancelled.

There is no point worrying over something you cannot control.

On 5/10/2020 at 1:49 PM, hotandsticky said:

For many reasons I am happy to be here, but it doesn't prevent me having the same thoughts as you.

Bit the same here, no depression or frustration, other than the refunds, mainly disappointment.

We were due to fly to UK 5th May, it was my grandson's 2nd birthday on Saturday. We were then booked to fly to Morocco on Wednesday for a week, had really been looking forward to that.

Also had another trip booked for the 1st August but wouldn't mind if that goes back a couple of weeks, since I booked it found out my second grandson is due 1st week September.

I think the only certainty in the uncertainty is that it will take a long time for things to be straightforward, if ever. International travel may well become a luxury few can afford, again.

2 hours ago, Greg O said:

My mate went to UK Yesterday. No issues if you're a UK citizen or resident but only a couple of flights a week as of now...

I'm in the other boat - my house and and all possessions are in Thailand and I'm now stuck back in the UK after visiting family in February.

This is the longest I've stayed back here in over 30 years. Simply no idea when I can even look at getting back (I'm sure the milk in the fridge might be off by now :-0) but, as StevieAus wrote, there is no point in worrying about something we can't control right now. At least we're still kicking around, farting and burping.

Right, now back to A Place in the Sun just to torture myself...

• Like 1