What have you learnt ??

Also, 'learnt' ain't really proper word.

Ah - the innocence of the foreigner ???? (sorry American...)

'Learnt' is correct British English for the past simple tense of 'learn', just as 'burnt' is the correct form of 'burn'.  I digress - this isn't a grammar thread ????

Edited by simon43
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For me, the most important lesson has been how viruses such as this are transmitted. Like most people I'm prone to getting flu once in awhile but for the most part I could never understand where, when or how I was picking the virus up. Now I understand that something as simple as touching a supermarket trolley that someone may have sneezed on and then inadvertently rubbing my eye, which you do without thinking is more than enough for a virus to spread. I'm now much more vigilant about what I touch and obsessive about washing my hands with soap and hand sanitizer. 

Edited by Dmaxdan
  • Like 2

I have learnt to wear facemask, even I hate it.

I have learned not to use public transprtation, (bus, train) flights the same, but know I had to do some airflight trips, then I will be in deep water diver equipment.

I have learned not to give hands, no kiss to people I do not know, only s.x with my mrs (dam it).

Avoid crowded places.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Haha, yea righto. I'm really missing out eh, you big cringebucket.

Not missing out, sorry that you struggle to learn new things though, especially during these circumstances... 

Plenty of other threads to enjoy though, if you think this is cringe.. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Actually, on reflection, there is something I've learnt. Do not get stuck outside the country where you reside and where your family is during a pandemic. Knew there was something ????

See, you and me both...

We was also having problems with water lack off, the well was running dry the city water goes off for days we never rely on that, during lockdown I had to buy a tank more than likely paid over the odd's for it, we did have a spare pump and managed to get a guy to set it all up the same day now at least we can buy water and some where to put it, now it's not stopped raining for the last 2 days here in Phuket.

The other thing I have learnt is, not so much about the amount of money you save, to me it's about the amount of money I've wasted paying for overpriced junk food the restaurants here are getting more expensive than in England Im sure it's made more people think who live here about the amount of money they spend

Realised that I hate working from home. It is truly soul destroying not being outside and properly interacting with people throughout the week. I cannot understand how people can do it full time. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I've also learned there are people on TV who would probably be stark raving bonkers if they did not have TV to express themselves during a pandemic. And a few that have achieved that condition already.

I agree, but I think that we have opposing views of the people that are stark raving bonkers:-)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BobbyL said:

Realised that I hate working from home. It is truly soul destroying not being outside and properly interacting with people throughout the week. I cannot understand how people can do it full time. 

I learned that I prefer not to have contact with other people. Too many people have <deleted> me in my life, and being left alone means that it's not still happening.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

the restaurants here are getting more expensive than in England Im sure

I very much doubt that unless you are going to very expensive restaurants in LOS.

In London's China Town they were charging one POUND per STICK of satay. In LOS I was getting 10 sticks for 25 baht.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, kokesaat said:

I learned that having a plan B in life, no matter where you live, is a good thing.  Having lived in Thailand for 23 years, but now marooned in the US because we can't get return flights, we were always ready for something like a coup or other government intervention that might put a dent in our plans to float our ashes down the Mekong.  We never imagined the pandemic might be the possible end to our life there.  

We bought land and built a house sensibly.....didn't overly invest.  I always told my wife that if need be, we could pack a few suitcases and leave everything behind to be covered over by jungle.  I've seen too many expats who sell the farm then invest most everything they have in Thailand.....only to eventually want to leave, but can't because they don't have the funds to do so.  Plan B.

So that's you with the Plan B signs on all of those buildings in Bangkok, damn I wish I had thought of that first.  You must get quite the assorted royalty checks then.....

Prayer is a waste of time, even for those who do get a reply. Eve, especially, has a lot to answer for.

There are important things in life:

Air

Water

Food

Family

Friends

Gold.

The rest is just luxury; and we can do without it.