Any idea if Yanks can return in July or just Chinese

10 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

With a score of maybe over 100'000 deaths in July,

USA very probably will be in the last group of countries

authorised to come back in Thailand... IMHO  (Seems logical)

Which would be unfortunate because not every part in the US is affected equally, In my county in FLorida which has a population of 116,000 people, we have 127 confirmed cases and 2 deaths. 

17 hours ago, garygooner said:

Actually, tourists from countries who have the virus under control could be allowed back sooner ie China, South Korea, Japan. 

You could add Australia to that list, except that the government here won't let citizens and PR holders leave. The world's largest open prison. 

Initially I thought Thailand would not allow countries that are at the highest risk to arrive. America is at the top of that spectrum and my initial thoughts were Americans wouldn't be allowed to enter until the cases improve.

I then remembered that Thailand let the doors open to the Chinese people right when CHina was at the peak of COVID-19. I do understand that China is near the top of the list in regards to tourism, but that showed me how much Thailand needs tourism (unless there are some 'ill scratch your back/you scratch mine' deals between China and Pra Yoooot).

America is in the top 10 for countries to arrive in Thailand (and yes they spend), so it wouldnt surprise me if they are still allowed to come. Do I expect this to happen? Not at all. In fact, chances are Americans will be excluded.

But on the COVID-19 cases chart...there is a trend recently for the cases dropping. If that rate continues, USA may just luck out to where the cases are bearable for Thailand to allow.

I think testing on arrival, COVId19 health insurance, 2 week quarantine APP tracking, may have Thailand open the doors to Americans and thats if the cases to continue to trend lower as well (lower highs, lower lows on chart).

On 5/11/2020 at 9:52 AM, Yellowtail said:

Well for me, I've lived in Thailand for the last 19 years and right now I'm having to wear a f'n mask, drive a rental, staying at a Hampton Inn in SoCal waiting to get back to my family. 

No beach access, no bars open and no nightlife here either....

I look upon this isolation ,  as a opportunity to test my relationship , with my wife .

Quality time together ..

22 hours ago, sirineou said:

Which would be unfortunate because not every part in the US is affected equally, In my county in FLorida which has a population of 116,000 people, we have 127 confirmed cases and 2 deaths. 

Scale that up to Thailand's population of 75 million, that is 82,000 cases and 1300 deaths. We're on 3000 cases, 56 deaths. Stay away. You're 20 times more likely to be an asymptomatic carrier than I.

34 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Why do people here seem to believe people in the US are at particularly high risk of being infected?

What is this thinking based on?

Based on the fact they're in the US, one of the worst hit countries. Country has zero infections, zero chance someone coming from that country has it. Someone comes from the most infected country in the world, bigger chance they got it! Bigger than most!

On 5/11/2020 at 11:27 PM, Mitkof Island said:

Maybe someone has a REAL life besides hanging in bars and with the very foreigners they left behind.

When I am in a bar, foreigners are not the people I am hanging with (or on).

Edited by timendres
  • Haha 1

On 5/12/2020 at 5:23 PM, BritTim said:
On 5/12/2020 at 7:54 AM, garygooner said:

Actually, tourists from countries who have the virus under control could be allowed back sooner ie China, South Korea, Japan. 

Possibly, but would they come when this means they must submit to 14-day quarantine on return to their home countries? China, for example, is going to be very selective in the countries it allows Chinese tour groups to visit, when and if they are allowed at all.

I wonder if there will be a tier system for returning tourists based on the risk profile they present.

Once Thailand opens up I can envisage a situation whereby tourists from China (obviously favored) would are allowed to come and go as they please, Tourists from other countries where the Covid-19 numbers are low may also be able to travel in and out as tourists.

For an initial period I suspect that those of us in the UK, US and much of Europe (i.e. areas of higher Covid-19) numbers will be initially prevented from entering Thailand until the numbers of these countries are sufficiently low to permit travel into Thailand after which time insurance and Covid-19 free certification may be required.

To summarise: I suspect there may be some different treatment between those from Asia and particularly Asean nations and those from Western Nations based purely around the numbers.

I suspect the 'allowance' will be evaluated every 14 days or so.

Thus: I predict flights to resume from 1st June (for Thai's and those with Non-Imm Visas only).

Mid June, tourists from South East Asian nations and China, Korea, Japan will be permitted entry with a Covid-19 free certificate.

Following that, if cases of Covid-19 have not increased in Thailand I suspect it may open up its borders more widely to tourists from any nation (i.e. timing around 1st July)....

Just a guess - but Thailand wants its industry and tourism to get back on track as soon as possible.

Edited by richard_smith237

5 hours ago, naboo said:

Based on the fact they're in the US, one of the worst hit countries. Country has zero infections, zero chance someone coming from that country has it. Someone comes from the most infected country in the world, bigger chance they got it! Bigger than most!

Why are you assuming the US is one of the worst hit countries?

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

Why are you assuming the US is one of the worst hit countries?

Perhaps by total number of infections. On a per capita basis yes, it is well down the list but still high. 

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Perhaps by total number of infections. On a per capita basis yes, it is well down the list but still high. 

How many countries had don as much testing on a per capita basis?

More testing = more infections, yes?

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

How many countries had don as much testing on a per capita basis?

More testing = more infections, yes?

You ask a lot of questions, you seem as capable as me to do your own research.

Hrm. This virus did come from the Chinese, and it appears they're still being dubious about their infection and recovery numbers.

Then there were those "zero dollar tours", where Chinese forced their compatriot tourists to buy overpriced souvenirs.

Then there was that boat accident, on the craft of dubious quality.

Then there was that call center that just got shut down, where some generous Chinese were offering 5000 baht loans to Thais having trouble getting this assistance money from the govt.

Yet, they are still the high quality tourists they prefer.

• Like 1

I had reservations to Seattle on EVA Air since January.  Today I received notification of cancellation.  Probably due to lack of seat infil.   I'm giving up on the risky

notion of visiting the states for a while.

Good luck to the OP if you still try it.

6 minutes ago, sletraveler said:

I had reservations to Seattle on EVA Air since January.  Today I received notification of cancellation.  Probably due to lack of seat infil.   I'm giving up on the risky

notion of visiting the states for a while.

Good luck to the OP if you still try it.

That flight requires transit in Taipei which is not allowed currently.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2020 at 4:19 AM, thai006 said:

just put 14 days for everyone who coming here 

Why not just test-on-arrival, or better yet, just before boarding the plane?  The testing is down to minutes, now - and 2 mo from now, the machines should be in sufficient supply.

Then, if staying 7+ days, another test to make sure you weren't exposed just before the initial test?

This would solve the problem, with a minimal amount of hassle for the visitors.

Note those Thais 'testing positive' in recent days are all tested on-entry.  Most probably never had, nor ever will, have any symptoms.  We have no idea how widespread the virus is in the general population.

22 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

That flight requires transit in Taipei which is not allowed currently.

I don't get this.  I can understand not allowing people to go into the airport / "giant shopping mall" - but why not allow people to switch planes through a tent on the tarmac?

Transit through Taipei is all airside normally - doesn't involve passing through Taiwan's immigration, anyway (which is a nice thing about it).

Edited by JackThompson

10 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

Note those Thais 'testing positive' in recent days are all tested on-entry. 

That does not appear to be the case - the positives cases yesterday had returned to Thailand a week earlier from report I heard (from Pakistan).  

• Like 1