Amazing Thailand for the Thais: Is Domestic Tourism a solution?

webfact

23 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

I would suggest that Europeans post a greater risk. 

The last batch of of 6,000 tourists from Wuhan didn't do much damage to Thailand.

If there had been no tourists from wuhan there would have been no pandemic

• Like 1

In my last job I used to meet a number of international people,when ever I met Thai women (well to do ) got into conversation and mentioned I visit Thailand when I was asked what part and said pattaya it killed the chat stone dead.

8 hours ago, GAZZPA said:

I don't frequent place like walking street, so try again. I am out of Pattaya now and good riddance. I am a very well travelled person both in my career and work life so again try again. Oh and I frequently travelled around in a Toyota Alphard with a driver, that is not the preserve of the rich. There will always be someone with money everywhere, what I am saying to you is that Pattaya is not a destination for the rich people of this world, you won't ever convince me otherwise because I know better, so don't bother trying. If you want to believe that Pattaya is a rich person hot spot then that's up to you.

Ok, so, no you don't live in Pattaya.  So, yet another poster who doesn't really know Pattaya that well but is certain that no wealthy Thais would come to Pattaya.  And, you changed my comment while you were at it.  The thread is about domestic tourism and I said wealthy Thais already come to Pattaya--not 'the rich people of this world...'--although some of them come, as well.

You're right, you can hire a car and a driver, but is he taking your family to your 20 or 30MB Pattaya beach condo?  The rich Thais I am talking about are here in condos you probably have never heard of--because they are tucked away, usually beachfront, and the projects are smaller, often with Thai names, and have very large condos of 3 or 4 bedrooms or more. 

Condo projects like Pingpha, or Baan Rimpha, with 2 condos for sale--one for 65MB and the other for 105MB.  Or Saranchol, with prices ranging from around 15MB to 68MB.   Silver Beach, 17MB to 47MB.  Garden Cliff with most of the units from 14MB to 25MB.  

In Pratamnack, there's Baan Haad U Thong--definitely not named to appeal to non-Thai buyers!  Like all of the above, direct beachfront and large units, most just 2 to a floor.  Around 16.8MB to 23.5MB.  You probably have heard of Royal Cliff--15MB to 40MB.  A little more affordable in Na Jomtien is Baan Somprasong at around 12 to 20MB.  Other Thais own places in condos like Ocean Marina, as well as private houses scattered around in all areas.

Thailand Property says there are 364 condo projects in the Pattaya area so I have just scratched the surface.  Many perhaps not wealthy but upper-middle class Bangkokians have bought in projects like Baan Plai Haad, Park Beach, Seaview, Centric Sea, and others.  My partner and I met a very nice female college professor when we lived at Park Beach--she just wanted a beach place to get away from Bangkok.  

You'll scoff, I'm sure, but they come to the Pattaya area primarily for family time--often bringing the grandparents so they take the large van with a driver rather than the Mercedes or BMW.  You see them at the pool teaching their child to swim and they go out every evening to one of the many seafood restaurants on this or that beach--The Glass House, for example, or the big one with the Thai name I can never remember in Naklua.  They aren't coming to Pattaya because it's a 'rich person hot spot'--and I never said that, either, by the way.  Rather, it's for relaxed, family time away from their hectic lives in Bangkok.  They can do all that and avoid the nightlife areas--just as they avoid the nightlife areas of Bangkok.

I think it is worth promoting Thai destinations to Thai people, as I would assume that those Thai having that kind of disposable income would have likely been off to Korea or Japan for a getaway. As that is currently not possible perhaps they might travel inside Thailand, however, I am not sure how this would be quantified, nor do I think it would make up for the loss. It could perhaps ease some local pain if these somewhat affluent Thai spend.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WalkingOrders said:

I think it is worth promoting Thai destinations to Thai people, as I would assume that those Thai having that kind of disposable income would have likely been off to Korea or Japan for a getaway. As that is currently not possible perhaps they might travel inside Thailand, however, I am not sure how this would be quantified, nor do I think it would make up for the loss. It could perhaps ease some local pain if these somewhat affluent Thai spend.

I think it will definitely help Pattaya somewhat.  In an earlier post I focused on the wealthy Thais who have getaway condos in Pattaya.  Far more numerous are Bangkokians of the middle and upper middle class who also have Pattaya getaway condos.

The Bangkok floods of 2011 brought many Bangkokians to Pattaya for likely the first time in years, if ever.  They discovered a Pattaya that was a lot nicer than they had thought--that even had a very nice Central Festival.  Imagine.  Plus loads of nice restaurants.   And, just 2 hours away by a good motorway.

What Pattaya didn't have at that time was a large supply of condos geared to middle class and up Thais.  Yes, it had those pricey ones I mentioned in the 15 to 100MB range  but not much new in the 2MB to 13MB price range.  The View Talays were shells that had to be finished and appealed more to farangs.  Some other unfamiliar, no-name projects here and there but not a lot of choice or what they felt comfortable buying into.

Enter the well-known, familiar, Bangkok builders.  Lumpini.  Sansiri.  Supalai. Trust.  Raimon Land.  SC Asset.  Each proceeded to build at least one large project in Pattaya geared, in part, to Bangkok Thais.  Lumpini built 4,  Sansiri and Raimon Land 2 each.  Sales were mainly done in Bangkok, to Bangkok buyers.  When Sansiri finally hit town with its sales office for The Base, it was almost fully booked already by Bangkok buyers.  They could have skipped building the sales office altogether.

These are the condo projects where you go to the annual meeting and it's almost entirely conducted in Thai.  The first Park Beach AGM I attended I think there were maybe 6 farangs in attendance in a condo project of 1800 units; the rest were Thais, many from Bangkok. 

With foreign travel curtailed, I think many of these Bangkok owners will take advantage of having a Pattaya getaway condo and they will start coming more often since they can't go abroad.  It will be the reverse for my partner and me.  Since we can't travel abroad, either, we will be going from Pattaya to our Bangkok getaway condo more often, too.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SupermarineS6B said:

n the end you'll have to come up with the fact that tourism was built on westerners and it ran just fine until the latest bunch of chancers took over.....

One of our most cherished TVF myths. Actually it ran better:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, kingdong said:

In my last job I used to meet a number of international people,when ever I met Thai women (well to do ) got into conversation and mentioned I visit Thailand when I was asked what part and said pattaya it killed the chat stone dead.

???????? I bet it did. There is a guy in TVF trying to convince me that Pattaya is a high end resort attracting the elite traveller. Unfortunately Pattaya has 1 reputation only which is for a sex tourist location. They even had a documentary in my country about Walking Street,,, terrible. Now of course when you live there (as i did) you don't have to live that life (I didn't, I was working with a factory in Laemchabang so convenient location), however it is all it is known for.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, newnative said:

I think it will definitely help Pattaya somewhat.  In an earlier post I focused on the wealthy Thais who have getaway condos in Pattaya.  Far more numerous are Bangkokians of the middle and upper middle class who also have Pattaya getaway condos.

The Bangkok floods of 2011 brought many Bangkokians to Pattaya for likely the first time in years, if ever.  They discovered a Pattaya that was a lot nicer than they had thought--that even had a very nice Central Festival.  Imagine.  Plus loads of nice restaurants.   And, just 2 hours away by a good motorway.

What Pattaya didn't have at that time was a large supply of condos geared to middle class and up Thais.  Yes, it had those pricey ones I mentioned in the 15 to 100MB range  but not much new in the 2MB to 13MB price range.  The View Talays were shells that had to be finished and appealed more to farangs.  Some other unfamiliar, no-name projects here and there but not a lot of choice or what they felt comfortable buying into.

Enter the well-known, familiar, Bangkok builders.  Lumpini.  Sansiri.  Supalai. Trust.  Raimon Land.  SC Asset.  Each proceeded to build at least one large project in Pattaya geared, in part, to Bangkok Thais.  Lumpini built 4,  Sansiri and Raimon Land 2 each.  Sales were mainly done in Bangkok, to Bangkok buyers.  When Sansiri finally hit town with its sales office for The Base, it was almost fully booked already by Bangkok buyers.  They could have skipped building the sales office altogether.

These are the condo projects where you go to the annual meeting and it's almost entirely conducted in Thai.  The first Park Beach AGM I attended I think there were maybe 6 farangs in attendance in a condo project of 1800 units; the rest were Thais, many from Bangkok. 

With foreign travel curtailed, I think many of these Bangkok owners will take advantage of having a Pattaya getaway condo and they will start coming more often since they can't go abroad.  It will be the reverse for my partner and me.  Since we can't travel abroad, either, we will be going from Pattaya to our Bangkok getaway condo more often, too.  

???????? The place is known globally as nothing more then a sex tourist destination, fact my friend. you can live in denial as much as you like but fact is fact. If you google Pattaya you will be greeted to countless videos / blogs etc describing it as the worlds sex city capital (check out one of the links below). It is NOT a millionaire tourist hotspot. No amount of "nice" condos will make it so. Im not sure if you are ignoring this because you don't want to admit you have invested to live in such a place. At the end of the day if you don't live that life then you can live around it and not get involved, doesn't change that it is there on your doorstep of course, the beeches are lined with hookers every night to remind you.

Pattaya: The Real Sin City (2017) - IMDb

• Confused 1

16 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

???????? The place is known globally as nothing more then a sex tourist destination, fact my friend. you can live in denial as much as you like but fact is fact. If you google Pattaya you will be greeted to countless videos / blogs etc describing it as the worlds sex city capital (check out one of the links below). It is NOT a millionaire tourist hotspot. No amount of "nice" condos will make it so. Im not sure if you are ignoring this because you don't want to admit you have invested to live in such a place. At the end of the day if you don't live that life then you can live around it and not get involved, doesn't change that it is there on your doorstep of course, the beeches are lined with hookers every night to remind you.

Pattaya: The Real Sin City (2017) - IMDb

I never said Pattaya is a 'millionaire tourist hotspot'.  You keep saying that it isn't and I totally agree--something we agree on.  Few beach communities in the world are.  Myrtle Beach, South Carolina is very popular in America but not a 'millionaire tourist hotspot', either.  Ditto for Ocean City, Maryland, Rehoboth, Delaware, Panama City, Daytona Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, and about any other Florida beach resort.  For every Palm Beach there are dozens of just regular beach resorts.

The thread is domestic tourism and I'm simply making the point that there are wealthy Thais, many from Bangkok, who have getaway condos in Pattaya.   And, middle class and upper middle class Thais, many from Bangkok, who also escape the city and come to their beach condos in Pattaya.  That's a fact, despite your thinking otherwise.  That's a fact, despite you, yourself, not wanting to visit. 

Yes, there are hookers in Pattaya and there is a lively nightlife available if one wants it.  Not a deal breaker for me in choosing Pattaya.  I liked Pattaya 10 years ago and I like it even more now.  Could have moved any time if I wanted to.  In the 10 years I have been here much of the ticky-tacky has been replaced by a lot of new and nice development, such as Terminal 21.  Old replaced with something better.  Not just nice condos but also nice hotels, resorts, restaurants, golf courses, housing developments, hospitals, and shopping.  And, things like Cartoon Network Water Park, the Dolphinarium, Silver Lake, Ramayana Water Park, and D'Luck Theater.  All this new development is far away from Walking Street because the new development is aimed at the growing visitors to Pattaya for whom WS is not an attraction or an interest.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, newnative said:

I never said Pattaya is a 'millionaire tourist hotspot'.  You keep saying that it isn't and I totally agree--something we agree on.  Few beach communities in the world are.  Myrtle Beach, South Carolina is very popular in America but not a 'millionaire tourist hotspot', either.  Ditto for Ocean City, Maryland, Rehoboth, Delaware, Panama City, Daytona Beach, Ft. Lauderdale, and about any other Florida beach resort.  For every Palm Beach there are dozens of just regular beach resorts.

The thread is domestic tourism and I'm simply making the point that there are wealthy Thais, many from Bangkok, who have getaway condos in Pattaya.   And, middle class and upper middle class Thais, many from Bangkok, who also escape the city and come to their beach condos in Pattaya.  That's a fact, despite your thinking otherwise.  That's a fact, despite you, yourself, not wanting to visit. 

Yes, there are hookers in Pattaya and there is a lively nightlife available if one wants it.  Not a deal breaker for me in choosing Pattaya.  I liked Pattaya 10 years ago and I like it even more now.  Could have moved any time if I wanted to.  In the 10 years I have been here much of the ticky-tacky has been replaced by a lot of new and nice development, such as Terminal 21.  Old replaced with something better.  Not just nice condos but also nice hotels, resorts, restaurants, golf courses, housing developments, hospitals, and shopping.  And, things like Cartoon Network Water Park, the Dolphinarium, Silver Lake, Ramayana Water Park, and D'Luck Theater.  All this new development is far away from Walking Street because the new development is aimed at the growing visitors to Pattaya for whom WS is not an attraction or an interest.  

Now your just making me laugh. It is a sex tourist hot spot, it is globally known for it, everybody knows it. I have worked with companies all over Asia and met and know many very wealthy people and Pattaya is NOT on their wish list for places to go. Yes there are exceptions and some Thai people may have second condos there but OVERALL it is not a place that caters for the wealthy. It will never attract big money from wealthy tourists,, never. You can claim all you like but I lived there for many years and I know what kind of place it is. There are countless places where millionaires frequent throughout the world, you seem be to focusing on the USA (which is i guess where you are from), however there are many much closer to Pattaya. for example,, Hong Kong in the Peak and many on Kowloon side as well such as Sai Kung, Discovery Bay, Central, Stanley etc. Then you have Singapore which is full of millionaires, Taiwan and of course China itself with Shenzhen becoming notorious for millionaire hotspots with luxury high end living and Shanghai in places like the Bund. In Europe there are also many many places in almost all countries in the Med (google them and see for yourself). In the UK there are many places in London of course and around the coast such as Sandbanks in Dorset. I am 100% confident that none of them will view Pattaya as a place to visit and enjoy themselves. That really is all I want to say on this matter.

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

Now your just making me laugh. It is a sex tourist hot spot, it is globally known for it, everybody knows it. I have worked with companies all over Asia and met and know many very wealthy people and Pattaya is NOT on their wish list for places to go. Yes there are exceptions and some Thai people may have second condos there but OVERALL it is not a place that caters for the wealthy. It will never attract big money from wealthy tourists,, never. You can claim all you like but I lived there for many years and I know what kind of place it is. There are countless places where millionaires frequent throughout the world, you seem be to focusing on the USA (which is i guess where you are from), however there are many much closer to Pattaya. for example,, Hong Kong in the Peak and many on Kowloon side as well such as Sai Kung, Discovery Bay, Central, Stanley etc. Then you have Singapore which is full of millionaires, Taiwan and of course China itself with Shenzhen becoming notorious for millionaire hotspots with luxury high end living and Shanghai in places like the Bund. In Europe there are also many many places in almost all countries in the Med (google them and see for yourself). In the UK there are many places in London of course and around the coast such as Sandbanks in Dorset. I am 100% confident that none of them will view Pattaya as a place to visit and enjoy themselves. That really is all I want to say on this matter.

Once again, you are focusing on millionaires.  I have already said that Pattaya, and most beach-focused cities the world over, don't necessarily attract millionaires.  I am not a millionaire but I enjoy living in a beach town.  While not attracting millionaires, Pattaya is, however, able to attract many others like me to live here and, at the same time, also attract tourists, visitors, and part-time residents in increasing numbers to support new hospitals, new shopping, new attractions, new hotels, new restaurants, and big projects like Terminal 21, none  of which would have been built if Pattaya was only attracting sex tourists.   Those days are long gone--perhaps when you were last here.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kingdong said:

I have learned never to mention the word pattaya while travelling anywhere in SEA. You're immediately looked down upon. Even in Australia while visiting my sister, by customs officials,  anywhere, the place has a nasty reputation. 

26 minutes ago, newnative said:

Once again, you are focusing on millionaires.  I have already said that Pattaya, and most beach-focused cities the world over, don't necessarily attract millionaires.  I am not a millionaire but I enjoy living in a beach town.  While not attracting millionaires, Pattaya is, however, able to attract many others like me to live here and, at the same time, also attract tourists, visitors, and part-time residents in increasing numbers to support new hospitals, new shopping, new attractions, new hotels, new restaurants, and big projects like Terminal 21, none  of which would have been built if Pattaya was only attracting sex tourists.   Those days are long gone--perhaps when you were last here.  

???? I have been gone just over a year. Still the beeches were lined with hookers, gogo bars alive and kicking and people talking about their exploits with local hookers... those days are long gone? I don't think so. It is not the place to attract, lets say wealthy tourists, as it is primarily a sex tourist place. Just because they have built terminal 21 shopping centre doesn't change that, even sex tourists go shopping. You go on kidding yourself, not sure how old you are but I assume beyond retirement age so too late for you to take a new direction in life. If you are happy then fair play to you, me I am happy to be be out of there... stay safe

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

???? I have been gone just over a year. Still the beeches were lined with hookers, gogo bars alive and kicking and people talking about their exploits with local hookers... those days are long gone? I don't think so. It is not the place to attract, lets say wealthy tourists, as it is primarily a sex tourist place. Just because they have built terminal 21 shopping centre doesn't change that, even sex tourists go shopping. You go on kidding yourself, not sure how old you are but I assume beyond retirement age so too late for you to take a new direction in life. If you are happy then fair play to you, me I am happy to be be out of there... stay safe

I said the days of Pattaya only attracting sex tourists are long gone, not that the sex tourists are gone--they aren't, of course.  They have been eclipsed, however, by the changing tourist demographic.  It's no accident that all the nice, new development, such as Terminal 21, is far from Walking Street and, instead is in north Pattaya, Wong Amat/Naklua, Pratamnak, Cosy Beach, and Jomtien.  Hotels, retail, restaurants, condos, and entertainments are betting with their money and projects that the future is not Walking Street.  Stay safe, too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, newnative said:

I said the days of Pattaya only attracting sex tourists are long gone, not that the sex tourists are gone--they aren't, of course.  They have been eclipsed, however, by the changing tourist demographic.  It's no accident that all the nice, new development, such as Terminal 21, is far from Walking Street and, instead is in north Pattaya, Wong Amat/Naklua, Pratamnak, Cosy Beach, and Jomtien.  Hotels, retail, restaurants, condos, and entertainments are betting with their money and projects that the future is not Walking Street.  Stay safe, too.

Well with over 50 years of sex trade industry at its heart and judging by the bar girls I see almost everywhere it will be long after we have gone before they shake the reputation and I'm sorry but I still do not see Pattaya attracting wealthy tourists anytime soon, a terminal 21 shopping centre and some new condos are not going to cut it. Another topic but it was very hard for me to sell my condos to get out of there, I had to sell at cost to get rid of them. I believe there are many thousands of condos still not sold and the building has almost halted with many developments going bust. I also see on this very forum nothing but gloom regarding the selling of condos which was talked about long before the virus. Up and coming areas attracting new money and wealthy tourists tend to not suffer from such things.

8 hours ago, GAZZPA said:

Well with over 50 years of sex trade industry at its heart and judging by the bar girls I see almost everywhere it will be long after we have gone before they shake the reputation and I'm sorry but I still do not see Pattaya attracting wealthy tourists anytime soon, a terminal 21 shopping centre and some new condos are not going to cut it. Another topic but it was very hard for me to sell my condos to get out of there, I had to sell at cost to get rid of them. I believe there are many thousands of condos still not sold and the building has almost halted with many developments going bust. I also see on this very forum nothing but gloom regarding the selling of condos which was talked about long before the virus. Up and coming areas attracting new money and wealthy tourists tend to not suffer from such things.

Congrats on your condo sales!  Plural!  Not just one, people!  And, you broke even!  If you are a regular reader you'll know without my telling you that this is a rare accomplishment, indeed.  One poster is certain that 95% of Pattaya condo purchasers lose money so give yourself a big pat on the back.  Well done.

Regular readers will know by heart now that Pattaya condo purchasers will never, ever be able to find a buyer--at any price.  Worse, they can't even give their condos away for free--one poster has already said don't even think of giving him a free condo.  So, major kudos on actually finding actual condo buyers!  Apparently, they are real and they do exist!   Sort of takes your breath away, doesn't it?

While you are patting yourself on the back also take a big sigh of relief.  You managed to sell your condos before they came crashing to the ground due to poor construction and/or maintenance.  The figure varies on exactly when this happens and it is in some dispute but happen it will.  First estimate by one poster was 30 years but that was way too optimistic so another poster set him straight--20 years is the maximum a condo will stand.  Still too sunny and recently a third poster has pegged it at 10 years.  Your timing was perfect to get your sales in while you had condos and not rubble to sell.  

I have actually made profits on all my Pattaya condo sales (maybe one of the reasons I like living here) but the consensus seems to be that it's impossible to ever make a profit (I know, what about the 5%? The 5% poster goes back and forth on impossible and 5%) and I am lying through my teeth.  So, congrats on either joining the 5% Club or almost doing the impossible.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, newnative said:

Congrats on your condo sales!  Plural!  Not just one, people!  And, you broke even!  If you are a regular reader you'll know without my telling you that this is a rare accomplishment, indeed.  One poster is certain that 95% of Pattaya condo purchasers lose money so give yourself a big pat on the back.  Well done.

Regular readers will know by heart now that Pattaya condo purchasers will never, ever be able to find a buyer--at any price.  Worse, they can't even give their condos away for free--one poster has already said don't even think of giving him a free condo.  So, major kudos on actually finding actual condo buyers!  Apparently, they are real and they do exist!   Sort of takes your breath away, doesn't it?

While you are patting yourself on the back also take a big sigh of relief.  You managed to sell your condos before they came crashing to the ground due to poor construction and/or maintenance.  The figure varies on exactly when this happens and it is in some dispute but happen it will.  First estimate by one poster was 30 years but that was way too optimistic so another poster set him straight--20 years is the maximum a condo will stand.  Still too sunny and recently a third poster has pegged it at 10 years.  Your timing was perfect to get your sales in while you had condos and not rubble to sell.  

I have actually made profits on all my Pattaya condo sales (maybe one of the reasons I like living here) but the consensus seems to be that it's impossible to ever make a profit (I know, what about the 5%? The 5% poster goes back and forth on impossible and 5%) and I am lying through my teeth.  So, congrats on either joining the 5% Club or almost doing the impossible.

I don't over invest, I think it's as simple as that. I believe no matter the economy there is always a market for affordable condos. So I bought older, cheaper condos, I renovated them to high standard and rented them out.. Selling them was difficult, it took time and effort but as they were on the cheaper side it was not impossible. Had I bought condo's in one of the new condo developments (which in my view are way over priced) then I think you are asking to lose money. Back on topic it will be interesting to see how the tourist trade in Pattaya shapes up over the coming months, time will tell which one of us is right.. stay safe

• Like 1

Thailand 70m people and 8-10m unemployed. That is in percentage terms far greater than the US. Many of these people may never be employed again. It has never been easy for Thais to get good, solid, well paying jobs.

Hopeless dreamers bordering on propaganda.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GAZZPA said:

I don't over invest, I think it's as simple as that. I believe no matter the economy there is always a market for affordable condos. So I bought older, cheaper condos, I renovated them to high standard and rented them out.. Selling them was difficult, it took time and effort but as they were on the cheaper side it was not impossible. Had I bought condo's in one of the new condo developments (which in my view are way over priced) then I think you are asking to lose money. Back on topic it will be interesting to see how the tourist trade in Pattaya shapes up over the coming months, time will tell which one of us is right.. stay safe

I don't over invest, either.  Mostly have just done one at a time, mostly lived in the units and didn't sell until I made a profit.   Sounds like you were doing a variation of what my partner and I've been doing.  With real estate I've found that 'it depends' is often the best answer as there are so many variables. 

Are new condos over-priced?  It depends.  Bought at The Base new and it was, by far, the easiest Pattaya deal of the 16.  Super easy to rent for a year at 25,000 a month for a small 1 bedroom and super easy to sell at a nice profit just before the contract was up.  We weren't even planning to sell and the condo wasn't on the market but the offer was too good to pass up so we took the money and ran.  So, no in that case but with others, it depends on a lot of factors--good or bad timing being one of them.  The new condo going up next to The Base I would say is over-priced.  

My partner and I were at the Land Office today and it was a total zoo--as I posted about on another thread regarding maintaining social distancing.   No social distancing at all at the Land Office.  I guess we were expecting it to be mostly empty because we thought they were doing things by appointment but it was very crowded--and  that was just the outside as we were just dropping off paperwork and didn't go inside.  Looked like mostly Thais so I guess some are still buying and selling. 

Traffic was quite a bit heavier today than it's been recently--almost seemed normal on Sukumvit for a week day--and more Mom and Pop shops and local restaurants seem to be opening up.  My partner and I ate at a local restaurant for the first time since the lockdown--no screens on the tables but separation between tables.  It seems many have decided it's time to get on with their lives.  The next few months will be interesting.  I think many hope to limp along and make whatever they can off of the year-round Pattaya population and Bangkok weekenders and try to somehow stay afloat until international tourism is allowed, whenever that might be.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Thailand 70m people and 8-10m unemployed. That is in percentage terms far greater than the US. Many of these people may never be employed again. It has never been easy for Thais to get good, solid, well paying jobs.

Hopeless dreamers bordering on propaganda.

Many of them don't want good, solid well paying jobs coz they're too lazy and can't follow rules ( turning up on time / giving a rats ass about service quality to name but a few ).

You also see a massive turnover of staff, as soon as they get offered one baht more or less working hours ( pick your reason ) they're off, zero loyalty.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Thailand 70m people and 8-10m unemployed.

That is in percentage terms far greater than the US.  //

Where did you take this BS from ??

Unemployed are about 400'000 in Thailand

for a total labour force of about 40 millions people

So an unemployment rate about 1% only  ????

(See by example here: https://www.economy.com/thailand/unemployment-rate)

Unemployment rate for USA is about 4-5%  (or was before Covid-19)

On 5/11/2020 at 7:45 PM, GAZZPA said:

You're right about the Chinese, Thailand needs them and the Chinese know it, by the time this is all over the Chinese will own half of Thailand like they do Cambodia now. 

China now has many puppets around the world, Thailand is one of them. No brainer how the CCP works, scum of the earth.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2020 at 3:23 AM, hotandsticky said:

I would suggest that Europeans post a greater risk. 

The last batch of of 6,000 tourists from Wuhan didn't do much damage to Thailand.

No they done enough damage around the world u should read more how come wuhan have 6 news cases and thailand is ready to open the flood gates at must have been a really slap in the face for thailand all there Hope's have disappeared now wuhan have announced 6 more cases  what a downer for thailand 

6 hours ago, Woolsgibb60 said:

No they done enough damage around the world u should read more how come wuhan have 6 news cases and thailand is ready to open the flood gates at must have been a really slap in the face for thailand all there Hope's have disappeared now wuhan have announced 6 more cases  what a downer for thailand 

If you check now on many news channels, several cities in China are now in lock down. Glad I don't live near any of the major tourist destinations, pity help those expats living those areas. Stay Safe, wear a mask, wash your hands and stay away from Chinese tourists.