Thailand tourist arrivals may fall by as much as 65% in 2020 due to virus outbreak

snoop1130

1 hour ago, brain150 said:

It is surely a good thing when people who never harmed anybody and simply tried to make a living have nothing to eat and stand in line for a plate of rice !

... other than that it is a very good thing that you get more for your buck if there is anything left to buy and

your buck is still worth <deleted> anywhere when your currency is also devalued.

Surely this economic disaster will not affect you or any currency you have ... maybe not !

Maybe Karma is real ... and people like you who wish bad things to others will have to face it themselves... Somehow I might hope so !!!

If you don't understand the junta wants the baht high so it can buy more military toys, whereas the poor will benefit from a devalued baht because tourism will be more attractive to foreigners, you failed Economics 101.

Let me know when you change feet.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JAG said:

Well I would agree that there will probably be few if any tourists for the remainder of this year.

I suspect that there may be a resurgence ( not necessarily a dramatic one) amongst package groups from South and East Asia next year. They are not noted for being free spending, certainly away from the "shopping attractions" to which they are bussed.

So the mother of one of my daughter's pals, who works in a Chiang Rai restaurant, Chinese owned, which solely caters for Chinese tour groups will probably get her job back, but anyone whose business or jobs depend on catering for independent or Western tourists, forget it.

They will open their border by July.

Can't afford NOT to.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

you can tell the government is planing on opening everything soon. 

otherwise this number would be a drop of 80%. 

look for full on business as usual maybe August or September. 

damn the virus, full speed ahead!

Engage.

6 minutes ago, balo said:

Well , maybe Thais will be nicer towards foreigners after this long break.  I want to go back 30 years, but that is too much to ask. 

For me it is 50 years.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, izod10 said:

There will be more scares,if second wave occurs,time for departure,I could not face it all again

keep fingers crossed that there will be no second wave as that would ruin world economy as well, impacting thailand along with it.

So just how do the wizards expect tourists to get here. Let's see...it can't be by air unless they parachute in . It can't be by sea since the docks are closed. If the Marines storm the beaches they'll be severely embarrassed and fined. 

Can't drive in since the borders are closed. Maybe walk across and get a Grab ? Tourism down 60 percent ? No I believe it's 100 percent Einstein....(please don't correct me as I'm surely dreaming)

Where do they find such mental Giants ? Gonna be a great day as I'm still shakin my head and laughing.....Surfs up but only in the pool ! 

11 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Expensive imported western food I rarely purchase, cant remember the last time I ate out let alone at a western restaurant and the missus frowns upon me bringing hookers home anyways.

Some women are just spoilsports. ????

I suspect the thai "authorities" have figured out that people are not dying in the massive numbers that was touted by the media and was attempted to be predicted by computer models. The "experts" got it all wrong. And, I suspect that Thai doctors were not "incentivized" financially or pressured/advised to diagnosis Covid19 based upon signs/symptoms alone. Countries like Italy and America are diagnosing Covid19 erroneously, based on symptoms alone. I'll let you come to your own conclusion why that is. I see that Thailand has handled this whole "pandemic" very well. They did not over react in the beginning, made reasonable lock down rules, based upon the fear models by the WHO and are now realizing this is not the emergency we were all led to believe it is or was going to be. IMO, other countries have high numbers because they are creating those numbers. We now know that Covid19 is not as deadly as even the Flu. And I see it as a good thing that everyone doesn't get tested. Those tests do no test for the specific SARSCoV2 virus. There are too many false positives and negatives on that test. The test is nearly completely unreliable. Just read the fine print in the image... way too many caveats for this test to provide any fundamental basis of diagnostic efficacy. 

Covid19 Test Results.jpg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

"Forward bookings are showing a good trend, with smaller drops

Yeah right,I would like to see those bookings and from where are those bookings.Who in their right mind would book a vacation right now,and why Thailand?With quarantine or travel restrictions here in Thailand or other countries,economy woes,flight prices etc.,majority of people will wait until everything is back to normal,besides that the THB is climbing again

Just saw in the paper that can not be linked to that TAT is mulling over a 300 baht tourism levy to be added to foreigners arriving in the country to assist in paying for pandemic insurance.  I thought there was already a charge on tickets that TAT was taking a slice of to pay for insurance.  It was one issue that was brought up when they jammed medical insurance requirements for O_A Visa's or maybe I am wrong and there was never a surcharge or tax added to flights for incoming or outgoing foreigners.  My brain gets a little fuzzy with all the proposed or activated fee schemes these idiots come up with...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Where is this so-called second wave going to come from exactly ?Can't possibly be by sea as the beaches are closed. There are still a couple hundred hookers ( I mean hostesses ) being repatriated this week from UAE but they've already been quarantined and tested and fully certified grade A....then quarantined another 14 days on arrival. Darn, forgot what I was rambling about ...Oh yeah second wave will come from China when they allow flights from China to resume...then what ? 

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thailand tourist arrivals may fall by as much as 65% in 2020 due to virus outbreak

That and the dual standards afforded to the foreigners that are here.........!!!