Thailand reports two new coronavirus cases, no new deaths

webfact

Thailand reports two new coronavirus cases, no new deaths

s2.reutersmedia.jpg

BANGKOK (Reuters) - Thailand on Tuesday reported two new coronavirus cases and no new deaths, bringing the total to 3,017 cases and 56 deaths since the outbreak started in January.

The two new cases are a 19-year-old woman from Bangkok and a 51-year-old woman from southern Narathiwat province. Both were infected by coming into contact with previous cases, said Taweesin Wisanuyothin, spokesman for the government's Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration.

The majority of new cases in the past two weeks are from southern Thailand, including a cluster at an immigration detention centre in Songkhla province, Taweesin said.

(Reporting by Panu Wongcha-um)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-05-12

Great news if the figures are from consistent testing (just for you @Traubert..........................:thumbsup: )

But, I seriously hope that the powers that be, figuring out how to readjust back to near normal, have dedicated someone to monitor what is happening  in Germany at the minute as they are easing the restrictions.

• Like 1

Two new cases in past 24 hours, 50 provinces now Covid-19-free

By The Nation

800_2d2757da4b23d76.png?v=1589259787

Thailand has seen just two new cases without any deaths over a 24-hour period, Dr Taweesin Visanuyothin, spokesman of the government’s Centre for Covid-19 Situation Administration, said today (May 12).

The number of Covid-19 patients has now increased to 3,017.

“The two new cases are a small number, but we still cannot lower our guard until this drops to zero,” Taweesin said.

Both cases came after close contact with previous cases – a 19-year-old woman in Bangkok, whose brother-in-law, big sister and young nephew were infected, and a 51-year-old woman in Narathiwat, who was a nanny to a six-year-old child reported to have contracted the virus.

Meanwhile, two more people have fully recovered and returned home, with the patient recovery percentage standing at 92.7.

Of the 3,017 confirmed cases in the country, 163 are undergoing treatment, 2,798 have recovered and been discharged, and 56 people have died.

Nakhon Si Thammarat, Phang Nga, Loei and Satun have now been added to the group of 46 provinces that have seen no new Covid-19 cases in the last 28 days.

The number of people undergoing state quarantine is 603, while 540 have returned home after completing 14 days of quarantine. Of the 16,934 people made to undergo state quarantine so far, 7,154 have been allowed to go home while 90 were found to be infected with the virus.

Globally, there are more than 4.1 million confirmed Covid-19 cases and around 286,000 deaths.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30387707

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-12

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Traubert said:

OOOOhhhh! I get to be first.

Yeah, yeah testing, blah, blah, blah.......ad nauseam......

I want to get in on this too..

Testing... blah blah, how could you bla bla

Easy to hide 50,000 dead bodies, bla bla bla

How do you know?  Hospitals are full they are hiding it bla bla

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, bannork said:

I can't get used to this ' no new deaths' phrase. It just sounds wrong to me. 

A new death, what a phrase!

How about: 'There haven't been any further deaths'?

Thats the ticket....No further tests, I meant deaths......

• Haha 2

Numbers look legit. Over 50k tests for a country of only 70 million people. No mounds of dead bodies. No social media reports of mounds of dead bodies. Hot weather. Skinny, disciplined Thai people who don't shake hands. Somtam. Also, not many Chinese tourists come here. So, we wouldn't have gotten much exposure which probably explains most of it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, LeamchabangLarry said:

I want to get in on this too..

Testing... blah blah, how could you bla bla

Easy to hide 50,000 dead bodies, bla bla bla

How do you know?  Hospitals are full they are hiding it bla bla

I don't think Covid can survive at these temperatures, nearly 40 degrees Celsius in the blazing sun right now.

Then you have to consider the Thai diet: namely a fiery somtam and of course fermented fish, bla ra. Most viruses would beat a hasty retreat, especially if these two are eaten in combination.

Then there are the old and the poor, the vulnerable, drinking lao khao. No virus could tolerate a liquid like benzine.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Now that they lulled the general public into false sense of security, it will be "interesting" to see how fast it breaks out again when they open things up. Germany is publishing the estimated R0 which they apparently can calculate thanks to their test & track system. Let's see if Thais do their own Rthai.

In the meanwhile, I still recommend this light reading: https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-learning-how-to-dance-b8420170203e

Executive summary: You have to throw some $ at the testing & tracing direction.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Now that they lulled the general public into false sense of security, it will be "interesting" to see how fast it breaks out again when they open things up. Germany is publishing the estimated R0 which they apparently can calculate thanks to their test & track system. Let's see if Thais do their own Rthai.

In the meanwhile, I still recommend this light reading: https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavirus-learning-how-to-dance-b8420170203e

Executive summary: You have to throw some $ at the testing & tracing direction.

How fast?

Quite fast it seems...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52604676