Summer holidays abroad unlikely, Britain's health minister says

snoop1130

13 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Foreign tourists will have a 14 day quarantine imposed on them from 1st June, so I doubt many will be coming.

Not if they're French or Irish they won't. And it's not a "quarantine" as such. It's a tell us where you will be staying and please make sure to stay there 14 days. Some drivel about doing "spot checks" 555!

And what about those coming for less than 14 days?

11 hours ago, vinny41 said:

As it stands currently 

the FCO advises British nationals against all but essential international travel.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice

While that FCO warning is in place Most Travel insurance policies will not cover you

so anyone leaving the UK at the moment either doesn't have travel insurance or they have contacted their insurance company and their insurance company has given them the green light to travel

Hancock said it was unlikely British people would go on international holidays this summer not that they can't

Who would want tourists from Britain at this time?

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

i go to Ireland so no quarantine i take it

Irish Health authorities require anyone entering Ireland from abroad, except Northern Ireland, to either self-quarantine or self-isolate on arrival for 14 days. 

If you go to Ireland to avoid the UK's quarantine, you will be successful.

You will, however, have to do the Irish quarantine.

Since its formation the Republic of Ireland has been in the Common Travel Area which treats the whole of the British Isles (UK, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland  and the Isle of Man) as a single unit.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, mrfill said:

Irish Health authorities require anyone entering Ireland from abroad, except Northern Ireland, to either self-quarantine or self-isolate on arrival for 14 days. 

If you go to Ireland to avoid the UK's quarantine, you will be successful.

You will, however, have to do the Irish quarantine.

Since its formation the Republic of Ireland has been in the Common Travel Area which treats the whole of the British Isles (UK, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland  and the Isle of Man) as a single unit.

Not after brexit  think you,'ll find,they,'ll be a lot of changes regarding economic migration simply because the western world will be unable to financially sustain it.

12 hours ago, lkv said:

Because it's moronic to quarantine healthy people for 14 days.

Therefore, other solutions are in works.

Even rapid tests which may not be 100% reliable, will be good enough, at the end of the day you don't want to stop 100% of it, you just want to keep the curve under control.

Even PCR within the last 4 days is not failproof, but it brings the risk to a minimal acceptable level.

At least that will be our European way of thinking, applicable in Schengen, most likely.

Others will follow suit, but yes, some countries will have more or less common sense than others, so expect variations.

Emirates at Dubai airport weeks ago introduced rapid Covid-19 testing of all passengers on one scheduled flight to Tunisia.

Along with exorbitant parking fees, drop off fees, rip off prices at airports, ridiculous 3 hour check in, security checks ( especially at Dubai where they check you AFTER you've landed), immigration checks, checks for too much cash, too little cash, ...one more health check isn't going to spoil the wonderful travel experience a great deal. Especially now they don't want us to eat or drink on flights either; and the final nail in the coffin is the way the trolley dollies now have to dress.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Almer said:

If they taxed retirees abroad who are costing the NHS jack s-it i will move back to the Uk and take every benefit and claim for things that have never been heard of  after paying in for over 50 years and not even enjoying annual pension increases it would be nice to tick every box on the benefit claim form.

A slight aside here, when does it make sense to move back to the UK  for a few weeks ( or months, that's another question) to claim residency and have your annual increases restored?

As long as Thailand let us back in of course.

12 minutes ago, DaLa said:

A slight aside here, when does it make sense to move back to the UK  for a few weeks ( or months, that's another question) to claim residency and have your annual increases restored?

As long as Thailand let us back in of course.

I was reminded 7 years ago by DWP that you need to advise them of any stay outside the Uk of more than 1 month and after 3 months you are deemed an alien, so a UK alien and an alien living in Thailand, i understand but maybe out of touch a bit that once you have a residential address and a utility bill back in the UK you can retrospectively  go on to the current pension rate from the day  you returned  to Blighty, somebody please have me sectioned should i ever do that.

50 of us could always share the cost of a 1 bedroom flat with onward mail direction, no thats naughty.

Edited by Almer
Spelling
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, kingdong said:

Not after brexit  think you,'ll find,they,'ll be a lot of changes regarding economic migration simply because the western world will be unable to financially sustain it.

The UK and Irish Governments have confirmed that the Common Travel area will continue after Brexit, regardless of the type of UK exit. In May 2019 the two Governments signed a Memorandum of Understanding on the CTA which guarantees there will be no changes to the rights of British citizens in Ireland/Irish citizens in the UK as a result of Brexit.  

While the Memorandum is not legally binding, both Governments committed to take the necessary legislative measures to give it legal effect.

Source: https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk/home-affairs/immigration/the-common-travel-area-and-irish-citizens-in-the-uk-after-brexit/

16 hours ago, Almer said:

I was reminded 7 years ago by DWP that you need to advise them of any stay outside the Uk of more than 1 month and after 3 months you are deemed an alien, so a UK alien and an alien living in Thailand, i understand but maybe out of touch a bit that once you have a residential address and a utility bill back in the UK you can retrospectively  go on to the current pension rate from the day  you returned  to Blighty, somebody please have me sectioned should i ever do that.

50 of us could always share the cost of a 1 bedroom flat with onward mail direction, no thats naughty.

Thank you for that Almer. I didn't realise those were the rules. Again, probably not the correct thread, so I will research it further elsewhere, but surely that means they shouldn't be taxing any income you receive from pensions. Do I need to start looking for 48 flat mates?

22 minutes ago, DaLa said:

Thank you for that Almer. I didn't realise those were the rules. Again, probably not the correct thread, so I will research it further elsewhere, but surely that means they shouldn't be taxing any income you receive from pensions. Do I need to start looking for 48 flat mates?

Ha ha,  i don't know how long you have to be back in UK before you can claim to be resident to qualify for current state amount, once received back to LOS advise  again after a month you have  relocated and your pension stays at todays rate, the way they are giving money away at present there will be nothing left for anybody so i would hold off on the flat mates.

5 hours ago, Almer said:

Ha ha,  i don't know how long you have to be back in UK before you can claim to be resident to qualify for current state amount, once received back to LOS advise  again after a month you have  relocated and your pension stays at todays rate, the way they are giving money away at present there will be nothing left for anybody so i would hold off on the flat mates.

It's not inconceivable that the October budget will see increased income tax to pay for the pandemic costs and associated unemployment over the next couple of years

2 hours ago, 473geo said:

It's not inconceivable that the October budget will see increased income tax to pay for the pandemic costs and associated unemployment over the next couple of years

I would use the term highly probable as we all know nothing is free and somebody has to pay for it

• Like 1