Medical insurance for foreigners on the cards again

webfact

If you have to pay 300 baht is reasonable, look how many foreigners are not insured at all.
If someone from Thailand wants to go to the Netherlands, for example, they have to pay much more.
Fine this arrangement

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sitanonchai said:

Just another pocket filler.

I have insurance already and can proof that so why ?

I think if you can't proof you have insurance then pay.

You, and many others, miss the point.

The government thinks this will encourage tourists to come because it makes things "Safer."  But, in reality, any charge would encourage tourists to go elsewhere.

5 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

So how will they distinguish between visiting tourists and foreign residents? Will I still have to automatically pay that embedded fee although I, a resident of some 30 years, hold a comprehensive first-class health insurance policy?

If you have PR, I would just assume you show proof. Easy enough.

4 hours ago, Pilotman said:

fair enough. Actually, a wise measure, considering how many tourists, especially back packers and some of the younger travellers, who seem to travel with little or no insurance. 

Don't the hospitals charge for medical care if something goes wrong and people don't have insurance?

Is the problem the people who manage to run from the hospital without paying? How many do that each year I wonder. As far as I remember the vast majority of people I know in Thailand had decent medical insurance and a few I know that didn't have the means to pay the bill.

So if it is compulsory (as it is added onto the airfare) people who have existing medical insurance are paying twice for the few that do not have it. 

What about the holiday makers that book for 2 weeks and pay the travel insurance through somebody. Will they be aware that they have already paid it? Are the Thai government now saying that nobody needs to pay for their own travel insurance because Thailand add it onto the flight price and it is included? More likely people will pay it twice I think.

Another poorly thought through policy that does nothing more then boost the coffers of the greedy few. I have no doubt very little of the money will find it's way to the hospitals. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BigBadGeordie said:

If you have PR, I would just assume you show proof. Easy enough.

I bet that won't be true. If they are automatically adding onto the airfare that means you have to claim it back, right? Well good luck with that. I don't make assumptions on things like this at the best of times, yet alone with a Thai government.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pilotman said:

This small price to enter Thailand is a lot less that a drop in the ocean, it's nothing in comparison with what's coming.  

Very prophetic .. If the cause of TaT's concern was really about the health and well being of tourists and visitors to the Kingdom one may argue that is a good thing .. 

But the headlines suggest it is more about clawing back lost money brought about by the shutdown .. 

You see in the headline para' .? they only quote figures and money 

5 hours ago, webfact said:

The Thai tourist authority this week announced its plan to subject all visitors to a premium charge to pay for travel insurance. The sum per person would not be higher than 300 baht per visit which could bring in revenue as high as 12 billion baht annually if the number of visitors ever reaches the 40 million targeted by the government before the Coronavirus outbreak

Read the rest of the article .. 

Can you see anything about care or concern .? But you can read the words foreigner and problem together .. 

You believe the hype if you wish .. 

I see it as nothing more than a badly framed scheme to spin out money from visitors .. 

53 minutes ago, riny said:

If you have to pay 300 baht is reasonable, look how many foreigners are not insured at all.
If someone from Thailand wants to go to the Netherlands, for example, they have to pay much more.
Fine this arrangement

you're not thinking it through, it's not ok. its a money spinner, simple as that. 

I know every time I went to the doctor I had to pay, absolutely no choice on that. I had medical insurance that thankfully I never needed which covered more serious issues.

if you don't have insurance then you have to pay, right? I have seen quite a few people crowdfunding because they are stuck in Thailand after big medical bills. So how do people get away with not paying?

1 hour ago, wensiensheng said:

Probably. It’s how it works in many other countries.

Not doubting you but what countries? I have lived in a few countries and travelled to many and I have always had to pay for insurance as it was never covered in my flight costs.

1 hour ago, Kerryd said:

The idea was floated quite awhile ago when the Health Minister was wailing about the (alleged) 300 million in unpaid hospital bills racked up by foreigners. He even tried to claim that it was the "35 million Non-O" visa holders who were responsible, as though every tourist that arrived in the country was on a Non-O visa.

So their solution ? Make a requirement that Non-O(A) visa holders (only them, not any of the other Visa types) have to buy mandatory health insurance (preferably from the providers they had made arrangements with to offer overpriced plans with inferior coverage).

There was a suggestion of adding a 50 baht "tax" onto the cost of airline tickets (the same way they hid the 750 baht Departure Tax by having it included in the ticket price). 
50 baht times 40 million (ish) arrivals would equal 2 billion in premiums, against what they said was only 300 million in unpaid bills.

But it seems that covering their costs isn't the real purpose here. Not when they are trying to make 12 billion while supposedly only losing 300 million.

hahahaha. Didn't know that the unpaid medical bills were 300 million. Still don't understand how that works though as how do they get away with not paying?

Anyway, fag packet maths in a few minutes shoots the motives to pieces. It is obviously just a money spinner, simple as that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Pilotman said:

fair enough. Actually, a wise measure, considering how many tourists, especially back packers and some of the younger travellers, who seem to travel with little or no insurance. 

Are you sure? The OP says it will bring in 12 Billion in revenue. That would only happen if no body makes a claim on that 'insurance' and/or any/all claims denied. Sounds like just another spin to get future tourists to pay for some of Thailand's recent losses.

• Like 1

Whatever the government will charge for medical coverage, in any case they will make sure, that you pay the treatment with your credit card in advance. Then you can sue the Thai health insurance system from home, to get your money back. That might take five years plus the costs for communication and a Thai lawyer. If you are lucky the lawyer will not be corrupt.

• Haha 1

As per usual with these government-concocted schemes.

So how will they distinguish between visiting tourists and foreign residents? Will I still have to automatically pay that embedded fee although I, a resident of some 30 years, hold a comprehensive first-class health insurance policy?

I travel very frequently for business (well, I used to before Covid). Does that mean I'll have to shoulder that compulsory fee each and every time I purchase a ticket, i.e. 12 - 15 times a year?

They ain't as daft always as they seem!! Think of the border visa run people too! Keep paying every time!! Should just be applied to tourist visas on arrival or whatever it is now!!!????????????????????????????????

• Sad 1

Will I still have to automatically pay that embedded fee although I, a resident of some 30 years, hold a comprehensive first-class health insurance policy?

I travel very frequently for business (well, I used to before Covid). Does that mean I'll have to shoulder that compulsory fee each and every time I purchase a ticket, i.e. 12 - 15 times a year?

Yes.

maybe travel less. would be nice for all the ppl who dont fly yet have to breath the air you polluted. ever think of that?

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

hahahaha. Didn't know that the unpaid medical bills were 300 million. Still don't understand how that works though as how do they get away with not paying?

I think it was actually more like 313 million baht but I rounded down. Considering the amount of tourists arriving every year and all the stories we see about assorted accidents (usually involving booze and scooters) I was kind of surprised the total was so low. It works out to like 8 baht per arrival (based on 39 million(ish) arrivals in 2019).

From my limited experience in Thai hospitals, a nurse will walk you to the cashier after you've seen the doc for whatever. The cashier also seems to be where any prescriptions are handed over as well.
But once the nurse has walked you there and given you your queue number, she leaves and there's nothing really stopping you from just sort of wandering around or going to the ATM - or just leaving altogether ! You're sitting in an open waiting area. Nobody is watching you or paying attention to you (every time I go I watch what is going on around me and try to see if I notice anyone trying to sneak out).

When I was going in for a major surgical procedure, I had to arrange payment beforehand. But when I've had smaller things done, I paid cash after it was done. 

There was a story last year (?) for example, of a Brit couple who claimed they were robbed and beaten on their first night in Thailand (which was also their anniversary). The husband was treated in a hospital, they set up a GoFundMe, sold their story to a newspaper in the UK - and then disappeared before the cops could come back to arrest them. Despite having a "broken" leg (maybe it was just a hairline fracture) they were able to leave the hospital without paying, get to the airport and fly out of the country before the police could arrest them.
Arrest them why ? Because it turned out they hadn't been "beaten and robbed at gunpoint". They had been trying to break into rooms at other hotels and the husband got spooked and jumped off a first floor balcony, injuring his leg.

I noticed at a couple of the government hospitals (in Pattaya and Sa Kaeo) that it wouldn't really be a problem to just walk out of any of them. The g/f's mother was in Sa Kaeo (after a stroke) and we walked in and out of that place at will, with no one questioning us. Didn't have to sign in or check with the nurses or anything.
I was really surprised to see some people had half their family camped out on the balcony just outside the window of the stroke ward, and many patients had a family member that slept on a mat under the patient's bed !

I suspect that many of the "unpaid" bills probably were from drunken partyers who had assorted accidents (on scooters or doing dumb things) and then snuck out of the hospital and flew home before anyone caught on.
People do it on their hotel bills and rental agreements, why not on hospital bills too ?

But the Health Minister tried to make it sound like it was all the "Non-O" visa holders that were responsible. (I think it's still the same guy, the one who loves the Chinese and hates "farangs".) 

Edited by Kerryd

5 hours ago, Youlike said:

I already have a very good travel insurance, why would i pay again by my airline ticket? Getting tired of thailand and their greed.

Obviously not tired whinging.

Charges at Thai airports are a fraction some other countries. The additional 300 baht would make a new airport charge of 1000 baht, we can only dream that the UK would ever come down to anywhere near that.

From a recent ticket

Government, authority and airport charges

Per adult

E7AD

THB 35.00

E7AP

THB 35.00

Passenger Service Charge (Domestic) - Thailand

THB 700.00

Air Passenger Duty - United Kingdom

THB 3,425.00

Passenger Service Charge - United Kingdom

THB 3,010.00

Total government, authority and airport charges*

> More information

THB 7,205.00

Edited by sandyf
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, riny said:

Fine this arrangement

Yep, because if a visitor to the Netherlands has to pay for travel insurance it is actually worth something. 

This "insurance" will cover very little for the money and will exclude people with pre-existing conditions and probably a whole lot more besides. Would anyone seriously have confidence in claiming against this scheme if it comes to fruition?!

I have my own travel insurance and have pre-existing conditions so it is utterly worthless. It's nothing more than a cash grab, no point pretending otherwise. But yes, it's up to us to suck it up - I totally accept that. And UK APD is way over-inflated. 

As for non-insured, you will find the amount spent on those is nowhere near what this tax is envisaged to raise. It's an air passenger duty in reality. 

Edited by MarkyM3

So the government is miss manage and they spend lots of money on stuff they really don’t need it now they want to make a new tax on foreigners coming here LOL Ties just like foreign peoples money they don’t like us at all and this is a great time to be thinking of a new tax for Tourist TIT I wish this government can get their <deleted> together

4 hours ago, Traubert said:

Maybe they're happy to do that and leave the handful of 'high end' tourists to Monaco and the like?

I wouldnt lose any sleep over it. There's plenty of money in China.

You are right. But that is an overly simplistic answer. The real question is, can Thailand attract Chinese tourists with deep pockets? I say very, very few. For a dozen good reasons. Lack of expertise when it comes to dining and wine service. Logistical issues. Wives who are used to being coddled and want to spend money on expensive hand bags and luxury brand items while on vacation, but won't due to the items being grossly over priced, due to draconian luxury taxes. Same goes for the rich husband who wants a new watch. The list goes on and on and on. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

would it apply to the border runs as well? any way they can make some extra bucks will do, greedy

24 minutes ago, sandyf said:

THB 700.00

THB 3,425.00

THB 3,010.00

> More information

THB 7,205.00

Happened around about 2002/3 
doubled air fares over night complete RIP OFF 
called it the GReen passenger TAX

But that UK its always been a tax hit backward Dickensian novel

You cant compare countries in that way
packet of cigs in the uk compared to Thailand 
average wage
cost of living 

If Thailand throws it out as a tax its fine no problems just like every other two faced conning gov from any country but if it offers a service like health insurance its like shooting yourself in the foot with a double barreled shotgun 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Obviously not tired whinging.

Charges at Thai airports are a fraction some other countries. The additional 300 baht would make a new airport charge of 1000 baht, we can only dream that the UK would ever come down to anywhere near that.

From a recent ticket

Government, authority and airport charges

Per adult

E7AD

THB 35.00

E7AP

THB 35.00

THB 700.00

THB 3,425.00

THB 3,010.00

> More information

THB 7,205.00

airlines will apply a so called "fuel charge" to compensate for lack of customers

I think that this 300 Baht is meant to pay the hospital bills of tourists (!!!) falling ill in Thailand .Details not known. In reality, it will be a huge rip off,

added on to the plane ticket no one can complain. Also who really believes that hospitals will accept tourists arriving sick from heart attacks, accidents, food poisoning, anything!!! and not charge them a baht ??
If they want tourists to pay travel /health insurance, they just have to ask them to present the coverage on arrival.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1