snoop1130

41 minutes ago, sambum said:

"A vacation in a foreign land
Uncle Sam does the best he can
You're in the army now
Oh, oh, you're in the army now"

(With grateful thanks to Status Quo)

5555 you got the winner today ???? 

Because of you, I got it playing now on my laptop ????

Just need to exchange the word 'Uncle Sam'  ... and it fits perfect

Edited by RedPill
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, RedPill said:

5555 you got the winner today ???? 

Because of you, I got it playing now on my laptop ????

Just need to exchange the word 'Uncle Sam'  ... and it fits perfect

Indeed - and Status Quo are a British group!

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, KOZMO said:

Remember, this is Thailand. No common sense !!!

we're considered entertainment...that is why when we fall, or trip on the ultra smooth sidewalks, drop something from our arms, or allow our motorcycle to slide on the clean pavement, the locals enjoy a good laugh. 

7 hours ago, GAZZPA said:

the type of masks people are wearing are disposable medical masks. They are no real protection on you getting the virus, they are designed to prevent you contaminating open wounds during surgery for example. They can be useful when you have the virus and it reduces the droplets when you cough or sneeze, that's all. The virus can also enter through your eyes so if you are near somebody who has the virus the mask is pretty useless. Now if you were wearing a fully sealed mask that is designed to filter germs and a pair of fully sealing goggles thats a different story but I don't see people wearing those, just the disposable medical masks. For you to stop getting the infection washing your hands very thoroughly and maintaing social distancing is far more effective, or better still stay in behind a closed door,,, simple as that.

It is meant to stop the spread. In this regard any face covering will do including a handkerchief. Do you know   how much droplets come out when someone speaks to you in a loud voice? I have certainly felt spit on my face before! As you mentioned it reduces the droplets when you cough and sneeze. That is the precisely the main purpose.

• Like 1

I think it is a great idea. The whole point is to change behavior. A fine that is too little will be paid and ignored. A fine that is too big and they will whine that they are being picked on and lead to resentment and not want to wear just because.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, Expattaff1308 said:

Dont you mean grow up farangs and obey the emergency decree and wear a mask when out and about.

As said in previous posts they are easily available, not difficult to follow the rules (well for most)

..Im talking about the ridiculous public shaming ok!

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, riverhigh said:

The keyword in your statement is "normal people". Simply wouldn't work in Pattaya. The average Pattaya expat would just laugh at the Thai authority and walk away. You can walk down Pattaya Beach road and count dozens of old Pattaya expats flaunting the laws - no social distancing, no masks. Laughing at people passing by who wear masks.  

and yet Pattaya is covid-19 free.

Just now, impulse said:

Me too.  I wonder if they take credit cards?

Are you not an age at which push ups are comfortable? Or is it the 'embarassment'?

It's worth remembering that it looks like these were backpackers on Ko Tao.... I would think they aren't too bothered about a few push ups and would rather keep the baht in their pockets. 

• Sad 1

On 5/13/2020 at 10:43 PM, PremiumLane said:

And what happens if someone can't do the required 20? How about just talking to them and saying you have to wear a mask... like normal people would do

If they are that obese or out of shape then they are at a very high risk of Covid and need a hefty fine or severe penalty to get the message through to them for their own good.  ????

• Like 1

8 hours ago, impulse said:

Neither age, nor embarrassment.  And I don't begrudge those who go the other way. 

Over the years, I've taken a rather pragmatic view of where I fit into the Thai economic food chain.  And doing push ups doesn't fulfill my quota like a little cash does.  Push ups don't buy the cops' uniforms or pistols.  Which they have to provide for themselves because of the way they're paid. 

I don't agree or disagree with it, but Thai people have decided they'd prefer low taxes to an adequately paid police force, even if that means an occasional outlay of tea money.  Their country, their choice.  I just try not to swim against the current.

Well said.

18 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

You can call me old fashioned, but in my book the police have to follow rules. They can write a fine, as stated in the law, or send the person to a judge who can determine a punishment. But they cannot be the judges themselves.

For some reason many countries put a lot of weight on that seperation of power. It sure helps limit corruption and abuse.

People applauding this method set themselves up for a very dangerous future situation, and might be advised to look into the ideas of Charles de Montesquieu.

But this is Thailand, where the rich and powerful are above the law and almost everyone with power is corrupted. Might there be a relation?????

pfff ... too political, every time I make a reply .. I think it over a second time and think ... nah, better not post this.

My god is this difficult to explain if you can't type it out.

Edited by RedPill

On 5/13/2020 at 10:43 AM, PremiumLane said:

And what happens if someone can't do the required 20? How about just talking to them and saying you have to wear a mask... like normal people would do

He may to pooh pooh the idea as he has been doing in his lands that caused untold deaths and miseries in his home country. Coming from the bottom of the society in his native land in search of his bride in Thailand, he has become an expert in virology and epidemiology in a foreign land.

Edited by Mulambana

On 5/14/2020 at 9:29 AM, StevieAus said:

Obviously you have never been in the military and I don’t mean in Thailand

:sad:???? So what you seem to be saying its ok to be a bully if you were in the military. Oh dear you have a born desire to be a bully.????

Edited by brianthainess

21 hours ago, Tchooptip said:

555 like dont need to be told to wear a helmet, 555 

if all the police in the world did not enforce the laws by force the world would become unlivable, the word responsible adult applies to less than 50% of the population!

Fines are about revenue raising. They don't care about your health.

1 hour ago, UbonThani said:

Fines are about revenue raising. They don't care about your health.

I do not read anything about taking money ?

The officers penalized people without masks by ordering to do 20 push ups and 20 jumping jacks. This form of punishment astonished those watching and people in the area said they approved because it was mild and amusing. After the exercise, the authorities gave a face mask to each person. 

• Like 1

On 5/14/2020 at 9:46 AM, GAZZPA said:

Because Thailand is not a normal place. Someone thinks this is a good idea, I think it is ridiculous as will any normal, thinking person. I would just refuse and say I will wear one from now on, what are they going to do?

Bit like the criminal saying to the magistrate "Sorry, guv, didn't mean to ....................... (Fill in the blank yourself) and honest, it won't happen again! 

Your final sentence question has a variety of answers - none of which "normal thinking people" would even consider, but remember, TIT - their rules. Plus if you read the post, you would see that after their "strange and unusual punishment" they were given free masks anyway, so you can bet your bottom dollar they "did wear one from now on"!    

• Like 1