New Passport - Should I get it Before or After Next Extension

Quick question and I hope an easy answer.   My next extension is in April 2121.   And my passport expires July 2022.   Should I get the extension for April 2121 for the year expiring April 2022, then apply for a new passport.  Or should I get a new passport before my extension  in April 2021.  

I've read several opinions about getting a year out, six months out, etc.   I have 3 months between 2021 extension and passport expiration, so should be plenty of time, but I want to make sure I do it correctly.   What is the best option.  Thank you.

There is no requirement for you to get a new passport before your next extension since it will still be valid for a year when you apply for the extension.

Wait until you have about 6 months remaining on you current passport before applying for a new one.

8 minutes ago, LivingNThailand said:

I have 3 months between 2021 extension and passport expiration, so should be plenty of time, but I want to make sure I do it correctly. 

Is that a typo where your wrote 2021. Or was this an error.

8 minutes ago, LivingNThailand said:

And my passport expires July 2022. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:
  45 minutes ago, LivingNThailand said:

I have 3 months between 2021 extension and passport expiration, so should be plenty of time, but I want to make sure I do it correctly. 

I'm probably overthinking this thing.  What I meant was that my passport does expires July 2022.   So if I extend April 2021 I actually have about 15 months left on my passport, so I am ok.     I was just thinking maybe I should get a new passport before then so I can start fresh in April 2021.    

US citizen, so I will probably get a new passport before the Christmas rush in 2021.... that is if there is anymore Christmas rush.

Thanks for the input, I was having trouble getting the dates all sorted out in my head.

Don't want to make a mistake and start all over.

Edited by LivingNThailand

9 minutes ago, LivingNThailand said:

US citizen, so I will probably get a new passport before the Christmas rush in 2021.... that is if there is anymore Christmas rush.

My suggestion is apply for the new passport about 6 months before it expires. So perhaps October or November of 2021.

The 6 months is what some countries require for entry in case you needed to make a trip during that period.

My UK passport expires in September and extension renewal due this month.

Checked with Pathumthani immigration yesterday and they will grant the extension up until expiry of passport, then I will need to extend again but will not need financials for this. I will maintain the required cash in bank in any case.

Paying fees twice is a small otice to pay.

UK passport application made at Trendy before they closed. Arrived passport office beginning of April according to DHL, only logged into passport office system last week and was being checked. Not sure when it will be sent out or if the Trendy office is allowing colle tions.

• Thanks 1

Personally I would renew my passport immediately after getting an extension in April 2021, assuming it is even possible.

Covid-19 has impacted U.S. passport renewals.

COVID-19 Dramatically Delays U.S. Passport Renewals, Disrupts Travel

But now, passport operations are extremely limited and if you apply or renew (or if you applied prior to March 19, 2020) you will likely experience significant delays of several months before you receive your U.S. passport and have your citizenship evidence documents returned (even if you requested expedited processing).  It is not even possible to check on the status or your previously filed application as that information is not being updated until regular passport services resume.

https://www.jdsupra.com/legalnews/covid-19-dramatically-delays-u-s-95343/

And I'm not certain the U.S. Consular Services in Bangkok are even accepting renewals? 

This message is a bit confusing...

American Citizen Services Suspends Routine Consular Services

U.S. Embassy Bangkok and U.S. Consulate General Chiang Mai have suspended routine passport, notarial services and Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA) services until further notice. However, we remain available for emergency services.  If you have an emergency request, please email [email protected] (Bangkok) or [email protected] (Chiang Mai).

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/

Maybe that applies to in-person applications? Maybe applications by mail are still being accepted?

Edited by mtls2005
formatting
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

Maybe that applies to in-person applications? Maybe applications by mail are still being accepted?

A few more clicks on the embassy website and you would of found this.

image.png.2a2ab0133ee19c66536935110034774d.png

Source: https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/passports/adult-passport-renew/

I am sure he will not have a problem getting his new passport next year.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Hans Rayong said:

As far as I know, the passport must be valid for 18 months when you extend the visa for 12 months.

Not correct. Even if expiry was less than 12 months the extension would be granted till same date as expiry of pp

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PBob said:

Not sure when it will be sent out or if the Trendy office is allowing colle tions.

It will not be sent until VFS reopens. No collections obviously from Trendy. There are two threads on the other VISA forum with many people in the same boat.

Renew Non-B visa on Jan with passport expiry on Aug.

Result to visa will be expired on Aug.

My multiple re-entry permit also expired on Aug.

Lost on both almost 4 months...

Lucky, renew my WP after new passport done.

Or else maybe lost another 4 months on WP also.

I am in a similar situation. My extension expires in January 21. I intend to get a new passport in December 20. Would it be possible to get the new extension to the new passport without first transferring the old stamps? 

6 minutes ago, pe747 said:

I am in a similar situation. My extension expires in January 21. I intend to get a new passport in December 20. Would it be possible to get the new extension to the new passport without first transferring the old stamps? 

The stamps have to be transferred to the new passport before the extension will be done.

7 hours ago, PBob said:

My UK passport expires in September and extension renewal due this month.

Checked with Pathumthani immigration yesterday and they will grant the extension up until expiry of passport, then I will need to extend again but will not need financials for this. I will maintain the required cash in bank in any case.

Paying fees twice is a small otice to pay.

UK passport application made at Trendy before they closed. Arrived passport office beginning of April according to DHL, only logged into passport office system last week and was being checked. Not sure when it will be sent out or if the Trendy office is allowing colle tions.

The $64,000 question in your case, of course, is whether the VFS offices in Bangkok and Chiang Mai will have re-opened by September for UK passport renewal applications. I am personally not holding my breath that they will have. There are a couple of threads currently running on the "Visa And Migration To Other Countries" forum about all this.

I noticed this in yesterday's "Health Alert" from the U.S. Embassy...

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. When will the American Citizen Services (ACS) unit reopen for non-emergency passport, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, and notarial services?

A. The ACS units in Bangkok and Chiang Mai have suspended routine services until further notice. We are available to assist with emergency requests. The Embassy and Consulate General are adhering to guidance from the Department of State and the Royal Thai Government regarding the resumption of operations. When routine services are re-established, there will be limitations on the number of appointments available as we try to ensure our customers practice social distancing in our waiting rooms.

https://th.usembassy.gov/health-alert-u-s-embassy-bangkok-thailand-may-15-2020/

It seems like the issue may be in the U.S. rather than here, as we can submit passport renewals by mail? I think passport renewals are transmitted electronically to the U.S., but the processing center(s), and return delivery, may be impacted?

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

It seems like the issue may be in the U.S. rather than here, as we can submit passport renewals by mail? I think passport renewals are transmitted electronically to the U.S., but the processing center(s), and return delivery, may be impacted?

I posted this from the embassy website (adult passport page) in this topic yesterday.

image.png.2a2ab0133ee19c66536935110034774d.png