"This virus may never go away," WHO says

webfact

37 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

Thailand first case was a day after China release and published the genetic sequencing. No I wouldn't demand a reference because it is so baloney. 

Not baloney, Durian...  From WHO you trust. https://www.who.int/csr/don/14-january-2020-novel-coronavirus-thailand-ex-china/en/

"On 13 January 2020, the Ministry of Public Health (MoPH), Thailand reported the first imported case of lab-confirmed novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) from Wuhan, Hubei Province, China. "

Lab confirmed means they had already sequenced it which takes 4 days.

"The genomic sequencing analysis performed by Emerging Infectious Diseases Health Science Center, the Thai Red Cross Society (EID-TRC) and the Thai National Institute of Health (Thai NIH), Department of Medical Sciences confirmed that the patient was infected with the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV).

As I said, hours after China finally released a sequence, Thailand said Krap, we already have one sequenced and it matches.

Edited by rabas
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, rabas said:

Not baloney, Durian...  From WHO you trust.

https://www.who.int/csr/don/14-january-2020-novel-coronavirus-thailand-ex-china/en/

"On 13 January 2020, the Ministry of Public Health (MoPH), Thailand reported the first imported case of lab-confirmed novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV) from Wuhan, Hubei Province, China. "

Lab confirmed means they had already sequenced it which takes 4 days.

"The genomic sequencing analysis performed by Emerging Infectious Diseases Health Science Center, the Thai Red Cross Society (EID-TRC) and the Thai National Institute of Health (Thai NIH), Department of Medical Sciences confirmed that the patient was infected with the novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV).

They are different. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Tony125 said:

https://www.the-sun.com/news/827649/first-coronavirus-vaccine-ready-approval-year/?utm_medium=browser_notifications&utm_source=pushly

The World Health Organisation's chief scientist revealed yesterday that the coronavirus pandemic could take up to five years to get under control.

The scientist gave the bleak outline as other experts warned no one can predict when the deadly disease will disappear if it even vanishes at all.

Nonsense. Almost gone in NZ.

• Like 1

On 5/14/2020 at 4:20 PM, DrTuner said:

Gift from China that keeps on giving. Another one in the future is basically guaranteed since they won't fix their hygienic practices and will keep messing with wildlife.

The outward face of China is that of a modern, vibrant, and well educated Nation.

The reality, is that most Chinese live in abject poverty, and their every move is monitored.

To change the eating habits of a Nation such as this is not going to happen, as so many rely upon the Cheap and plentiful Wildlife for their Daily nutrition.

These are the facts

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eric Loh said:

China early release of the genetic sequence of the novel corona virus on 11 Jan helped speed up the research and development of vaccine. This is important as it allowed development without the need for a live virus samples. This contribution is lost in the midst of frenzy China and WHO bashing. 

and the lab was shut down the following day because they released  information without govt approval but only an image of it, china refused to release actual samples of the  virus itself, Australia was the first country to actually re create the virus from the released image and then sent samples of it to the worlds labs to enable them to start to find a a way to treat it/start on a vaccine because china refused to release the live sample they had themselves hampering the rest of the world. The blame lies solely at chinas feet as they refused to release a live sample to help other countries, really have to wonder why they have not helped at all(and are refusing to let anyone else in to check it out) and punished those that did try to help/let other countries know about it, it is really looking like china has planned this  to put themselves in a better position in the world, that is something that cannot be changed  even for china appologists

Edited by seajae
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, tlock said:

I think the idea is that once international travel resumes, if there is still a single lingering case anywhere, we are back to square 1.  There is going to be some drama between the countries that took the herd immunity approach and the countries that took the control approach.  

Dont think so.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, UbonThani said:

Nonsense. Almost gone in NZ.

Wouldn't be the case if government had followed your attitude towards Covid mitigation which you have repeatedly posted on this forum. Take a look at the level of national discipline required to achieve a really good outcome for Covid management; link below. Plus...

On April 28, Ardern pronounced the virus eliminated, later clarifying that “elimination doesn’t mean zero cases... we will have to keep stamping COVID out until there’s a vaccine.”

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/travel/2020/04/what-new-zealand-did-right-in-battling-coronavirus/

Edited by simple1

1 hour ago, Cake Monster said:

The outward face of China is that of a modern, vibrant, and well educated Nation.

The reality, is that most Chinese live in abject poverty, and their every move is monitored.

To change the eating habits of a Nation such as this is not going to happen, as so many rely upon the Cheap and plentiful Wildlife for their Daily nutrition.

These are the facts

And you can thank the commies for that. Mao's own little "experiment" causing famines.

• Like 1

What I'm saying is that H1N1 never went away, and the WHO is saying SAR-COV-2 isn't likely to go away.  H1N1 isn't so exciting anymore is it?  It's just another virus that some people get now and then but doesn't have a scoreboard or 24/7 news coverage.  

There is a difference between saying the pandemic is never going away and the virus is never going away.  The US and Europe is de-facto going the "what humanity has always done for viruses in the past" aka "herd immunity" approach by re-opening.  Other countries appear to have contained the virus.  

Unless they ban US and European citizens from entering the country, all of the countries that have contained the virus will eventually have to reach herd immunity.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tlock said:

What I'm saying is that H1N1 never went away, and the WHO is saying SAR-COV-2 isn't likely to go away.  H1N1 isn't so exciting anymore is it?  It's just another virus that some people get now and then but doesn't have a scoreboard or 24/7 news coverage.  

There is a difference between saying the pandemic is never going away and the virus is never going away.  The US and Europe is de-facto going the "what humanity has always done for viruses in the past" aka "herd immunity" approach by re-opening.  Other countries appear to have contained the virus.  

Unless they ban US and European citizens from entering the country, all of the countries that have contained the virus will eventually have to reach herd immunity.  

H1N1 can't go away because it is a type of influenza, we had 2 unrelated H1N1 pandemics H12N1-1918 and H1N1-2009. H12N1-1918 did go away after a few years and 50M dead.

nCoV-2019 is a new virus for mankind even though a few human CoVs are known. nCoV-2019 is uniquely bad because it's the first highly infectious virus that attacks human ACE2 receptors. SARS and MERS could but not well. That means nCoV-2019 can infect the lungs, heart, digestive track, kidney, inside lining of blood vessels, and now maybe your brain. He means this new problem may never go away even after initial pandemics.

As for thanks, you can send them to the CCP, no one else gets credit for unleashing this one.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, otherstuff1957 said:

^^^ C19 is not a 'super flu', it is a 'super cold'.  Although scientists don't know yet, it may very well not give give long term immunity, just like catching a cold one year does not give you immunity the next year.

If a vaccine cannot be developed, just as an effective cold vaccine has never been developed, then the long term effects will have many big businesses cheering it on.  A future with C19 will be a world with average lifespans being reduced from 80ish to 70ish.  This means that many people will work for 45-50 years and then die.  If only a minority of retired people live past 65 or 70, the big winners will be pension funds and social security systems. 

You should maybe look up what the 'common cold' actually is, what's the name of the vaccine resisting virus that causes the 'common cold' for example?

If you look into the above you're in for an enlightenment.

The above is a rhetorical question

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rabas said:

H1N1 can't go away because it is a type of influenza, we had 2 unrelated H1N1 pandemics H12N1-1918 and H1N1-2009. H12N1-1918 did go away after a few years and 50M dead.

nCoV-2019 is a new virus for mankind even though a few human CoVs are known. nCoV-2019 is uniquely bad because it's the first highly infectious virus that attacks human ACE2 receptors. SARS and MERS could but not well. That means nCoV-2019 can infect the lungs, heart, digestive track, kidney, inside lining of blood vessels, and now maybe your brain. He means this new problem may never go away even after initial pandemics.

As for thanks, you can send them to the CCP, no one else gets credit for unleashing this one.

OK- I meant the swine flu version didn't go away, H1N1-2009 is still circulating.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mama Noodle said:

Do you guys just wake up and look for posts to contradict? The reason covid is such a problem VS SARS or MERS is that it is less fatal and more transmissible. 

Most studies show 95 to 98 percent of people who get it survive. Thats just not really that fatal when compared to over viruses. 

Covid - 1% to 2% of people who catch it, die, while being infectious for a very long time. 

SARS - Around 5% to 7% die while being less transmissible. 

MERS - A whopping 35% of people die. 

Data on COVID-19 from LA County CA indicates the mortality rate may be more like 0.1% to 0.2%.

https://smmirror.com/2020/04/study-shows-la-county-coronavirus-count-upwards-of-400000/

More research needs to be done, but we can expect the usual suspects to deny this for as long as humanly possible.

• Like 1

Early 80' I remember being offered work in the middle east and one of the conditions required was an HIV test.

When I went to hospital in UK and said 'I need to have an HIV test for work' the reaction was amazing. I had to sit through a boring 20 minute talk on how having AIDS would change my life blah blah blah. I was informed it would 'go on my records' and I would never get life insurance of any kind ever again. The doctor also informed me that it was very likely that a big percentage of the population of the world would die from it. The doom and gloom they tried to lay on me was incredible, no matter how many times I said 'I'm not sick, I just need a cert' so I can start work on the contract'.

When eventually I got the test, negative result it was like a big surprise for them.

I reckon the same type of fear mongering is going on in some places with Covid19, at the moment it's badly affecting the old and sick similar to aids hitting primarily the gay population in the beginning.  

HIV/AIDS is still around as I believe Covid19 will be for a very long time. How long it will take for it to be looked at in the same way as HIV/AIDS is anyones guess.

Excuse any typos.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sujo said:

So you wont be happy with trump agreeing to give them funds again.

Oh the joys of being a trump suporter, you have to change your view every day.

https://news.yahoo.com/trump-administration-restore-partial-funding-030045776.html

It's possible to have opinions on things that are un-related to donald trump.  It's asinine to think that if someone happens to agree with trump on a particular issue, they are a trump supporter, and vice versa.  I get accused of being a trump supporter because I'm anti-lockdown, but I voted for Obama (sat out 2016).  

Unless you are just stalking that particular user from some other thread.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, tlock said:

It's possible to have opinions on things that are un-related to donald trump.  It's asinine to think that if someone happens to agree with trump on a particular issue, they are a trump supporter, and vice versa.  I get accused of being a trump supporter because I'm anti-lockdown, but I voted for Obama (sat out 2016).  

The only person I ever wanted to vote for was Chicholina.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, tlock said:

OK- I meant the swine flu version didn't go away, H1N1-2009 is still circulating. 

I know, my wife, I, and two nieces got it in October 2018, one hospitalized, it was kicking strong at the time.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, tlock said:

Yes thats why i quoted him. There are about 3 or 4 posters. A small minority.

Edited by Sujo