Stolen Gps

klymr

My Thai wife and I have been victimized by a mangy old Thai man twice recently. We moved to a new place so she could have a restaurant. Being a farang on a busy street I guess was to much for the criminal. He came by on a scooter with a woman accomplice. The wife's nephew saw the woman walking out of our home with the wife's purse as they were getting ready to open the restaurant. He saw her get on the back of the scooter and they drove away.

Four days later the wife and I woke at 6am to go buy food for the restaurant. (We had still been sleeping at the old apartment). Arriving at the restaurant with fresh food, the door was locked and we couldn't get in. The wife had her brother's number in my phone, which was at our old place. When I went to go get the phone, an old, fat dirty Thai man ran down the back stairs of the apartment building. I thought this very suspicious, so ran back down to see the man face to face as he exited the building. I went back up to our apt. and saw the screws holding the hasp were pried out of the door frame. After running back to the new place and telling her about the hasp, (I was still sleepy and not thinking!) my wife told me to hurry back there. When we both got there, the same old dirty man was coming back down the stairs. As we passed him, I shouted to my wife it was the man I saw before. We looked up the stairs to see our door ajar and I ran outside to try and catch the POS. The neighbors told me where he went and I ran to the wall behind our apt. and saw him running away. He was old, fat and slow. but had a good head start on me. My wife grabbed me and told me not to try and follow him as he might have a knife or gun.

Going back into the old apt, we found he had trashed the place. He only got a few worthless pieces of jewelry and some small electronics. He only took what would fit into his pockets and a small plastic bag he carried. My wife told me not to file a police report as they won't do anything to get our belongings back. (When reporting her purse stolen, they just smiled and told her not much chance of getting it back).

I want to ask if everyone would keep an eye out for a Magellan eXplorist 600 GPS unit, serial number 11866005246. The number can be found inside the case, under the battery. This was all I had a S/N number for. Also, is it to late to report the break-in? My wife says if more than 24 hours, the police won't help. Any help you can offer would be appreciated.

Have your wife get some motorcycle taxis track him down and tell the police the details. Might be some help...

I suspect he may be a local motorcycle taxi driver himself doing some extra side "jobs".

I am shaking my head in disbelief at this, but i actually think you're serious. How many times have you let this mangy old guy get away? And leaving the scene without giving chase and allowing him to go back and finish the job?....dear oh dear....

He's hardly likely to flog any of your stuff to any falangs so i don't imagine you will be seeing your Magellan Explorist again.

He sounds like a petty thief, you needn't assume he's carrying a gun. You should of chased after him immediately with a plank of wood and given him a battering, knife or not.

It doesn't hurt to file a police report; if you get one of the few dedicated policemen on the force, they may check local pawn shops.

And check out local pawn shops in the local area on your own, if you feel recovering the GPS device is worth the time.

Have your wife get some motorcycle taxis track him down and tell the police the details. Might be some help...

Don't waste your time, it doesn't work that way. December last year my wife handbag was snapped away by a motorcyclist while she was walking along the main road and making a phone call. At that moment she shouted (obviously no one care) and taken down the motorcycle plate number. She then went to the police station to file a report. The police told her that most properly that number was fake and this crime is not uncommon. I told my wife since this is so common why aren't they do something about it instead of taking it nonchalantly. Guess what? days later the police officer call my wife wanted to date her out for a dinner (my wife speak good thai). My wife friendly answer him back that can she bring along her husband and the police just hung up on her. Till now "no sound, no picture" from the police. Hahaha! is really a joke but sad to say is real. What I can only say is.... TIT (This is Thailand)

Don't waste your time, it doesn't work that way. December last year my wife handbag was snapped away by a motorcyclist while she was walking along the main road and making a phone call. At that moment she shouted (obviously no one care) and taken down the motorcycle plate number. She then went to the police station to file a report. The police told her that most properly that number was fake and this crime is not uncommon. I told my wife since this is so common why aren't they do something about it instead of taking it nonchalantly. Guess what? days later the police officer call my wife wanted to date her out for a dinner (my wife speak good thai). My wife friendly answer him back that can she bring along her husband and the police just hung up on her. Till now "no sound, no picture" from the police. Hahaha! is really a joke but sad to say is real. What I can only say is.... TIT (This is Thailand)

I heard of similiar story too. :o So, the only thing we can do is becareful.