Italy to allow travel to and from abroad from June 3

rooster59

Italy to allow travel to and from abroad from June 3

By Angelo Amante

2020-05-16T025108Z_1_LYNXMPEG4F02F_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-ITALY.JPG

FILE PHOTO: A woman wearing a face mask walks in a street, as Italy begins to ease some of the restrictions of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) lockdown, in Taormina, Italy, May 12, 2020. REUTERS/Antonio Parrinello

ROME (Reuters) - Italy's government on Saturday approved a decree which will allow travel to and from abroad from June 3, in a major development as it moves to unwind one of the world's most rigid coronavirus lockdowns.

The government will allow free travel across the country from that same day. Some regions had pushed for a swifter rollback, but Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte has insisted on a gradual return to normal to prevent a second wave of infections.

More than 31,600 Italians have died of COVID-19 since the outbreak came to light on Feb. 21, the third-highest death toll in the world after that of the United States and Britain.

In a bid to contain the contagion, Italy was the first European country to impose nationwide restrictions in March, only sanctioning an initial relaxation of the rules on May 4, when it allowed factories and parks to reopen.

Shops are due to open on May 18 and the government decided that all movement within individual regions should be allowed that same day, meaning people will be able to visit friends.

The inter-regional and foreign travel ban will remain in place until after Italy's June 2 Republic Day holiday, preventing any mass travel over that long-holiday weekend.

But all travel curb will be lifted from June 3 -- a major milestone on Italy's road to recovery, with the government hoping to salvage the forthcoming vacation season, when Italians traditionally escape the cities for their annual summer breaks.

The regions can reactivate all sectors of the economy that might still be shuttered, so long as safety protocols are followed. National health authorities will monitor the situation to make sure infections are kept in check, the decree said.

Shops and restaurants across the country are preparing to reopen under strict social distancing and hygiene rules, as recommended by health authorities.

"The challenge is huge, so big it is hard to quantify, and most of all there is uncertainty. The sense of uncertainty is dominating everything," said Alberto Volpe, manager of a clothing shop in central Rome.

(Reporting by Angelo Amante; Editing by Sandra Maler)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-05-16

• Sad 1

Where are going to travel the asyntomatics with Virus? A very DANGEROUS Decision. Can’t imagine a devastating consequences of second wave. 

Edited by Tarteso

7 minutes ago, tribalfusion001 said:

Come to the UK we need to beat the Americans and take first place!

I think Russia is in the competition for first place now. Their brilliant and handsome President can’t let Mother Russia be beaten by the Western powers after all.

• Haha 2

20 hours ago, rooster59 said:

ROME (Reuters) - Italy's government on Saturday approved a decree which will allow travel to and from abroad from June 3, in a major development as it moves to unwind one of the world's most rigid coronavirus lockdowns.

Think I'll give Italy a wide berth this year, probably next year too.

• Like 1

On 5/16/2020 at 4:41 PM, charmonman said:

I think Russia is in the competition for first place now. Their brilliant and handsome President can’t let Mother Russia be beaten by the Western powers after all.

Actually Sweden is on the number one spot in terms of deaths per population. 

image.png.debf8b882b93896a350150229cee8669.png

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/daily-covid-deaths-per-million-7-day-average?time=2020-04-24..&country=FRA+DEU+ITA+SWE+GBR+USA+ESP+BEL+RUS

Edited by MikeyIdea

On 5/16/2020 at 9:19 PM, natway09 said:

Totally & absolutely ridiculous.

International travel restrictions lifted for all Italians ??

The world has gone mad please Thailand, do not let them in !!!

Do you realize that probably Thailand is (Or has been) more infected than Italy? No, you don't.

You are one of those who believes China and Thailand stats ????

Edited by Sundown

On May 16, 2020 at 10:19 AM, natway09 said:

But let in the Chinese.

On 5/16/2020 at 9:19 PM, natway09 said:

Yep the world has gone mad over a flu.

You sheeple are hilarious.

Edited by Anton9
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

On 5/18/2020 at 1:21 PM, KhunBENQ said:

Most of southern Italy little affected.

I think that is relative. I was in Puglia for extended periods twice last year, so I know southern Italy, and at this time, and though I have not looked at the details for a while, I would not yet trust large towns like Bari. Or for that matter, Naples and several of the other large towns in the south where I've been. I want to go to Abruzzo, but a while back there was an outbreak in Pescara, where a famous couple both died. At the same time, I don't want to criticize the Italians for wanting to open back up. It's just that at 80 I can't take chances. But who knows, in a few short months...

• Like 1

Italy's daily coronavirus death toll and new cases climb

5be41ec0-ff0b-11e8-adef-442891c98066
Reuters19 May 2020

ROME (Reuters) - Deaths from the COVID-19 epidemic in Italy climbed by 162 on Tuesday, against 99 the day before, the Civil Protection Agency said, while the daily tally of new cases rose sharply to 813 from 451 on Monday.

The total death toll since the outbreak came to light on Feb. 21 now stands at 32,169 the agency said, the third highest in the world after those of the United States and Britain.

The number of confirmed cases amounts to 226,699 the sixth highest global tally behind those of the United States, Russia, Spain, Britain and Brazil.

People registered as currently carrying the illness fell to 65,129 from 66,553 the day before.

There were 716 people in intensive care on Tuesday, down from 749 on Monday, maintaining a long-running decline. Of those originally infected, 129,401 were declared recovered against 127,326 a day earlier.

The agency said 2.0 million people have so far been tested for the virus, against 1.959 million on Monday, out of a population of around 60 million.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/italys-daily-coronavirus-death-toll-161417142.html