Over 12.66 million apply for free 100 minutes phone calls

Over 12.66 million apply for free 100 minutes phone calls

By The Nation

800_5c5e9d6c3c48807.jpeg

More than 12.66 million telephone numbers have applied for free 100 minutes of voice calls, the Office of The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) secretary-general, Takorn Tanthasit, said.

Six telecom operators -- Advanced Info Service (AIS), True Corp, Total Access Communication (DTAC), CAT Telecom, TOT and Penguin -- had allowed subscribers to apply for free 100 minutes of voice calls from May 1 to 15.

“Of the 12.66 million numbers, 9.54 million, or 75 per cent, are top-up subscribers, while 3.12 million numbers, or 25 per cent, are monthly subscribers,” Takorn said.

“When separated by telecom operators, 7.26 million numbers were from AIS, 3.30 million from True, 1.96 million from DTAC, 0.12 million from CAT, 5,079 from TOT, and 1,653 from Penguin.”

He added that people who received the confirmation SMS can make free phone calls for 45 days.

“This package is a collaboration between the government, the NBTC and six telecom operators to ease the financial pressure on the public brought on by the Covid-19 outbreak,” he added.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30387979

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-17

57 minutes ago, Henryford said:

So they advertise this on the 17th May, 2 days after the deadline for applying.

You are incorrect... this is not new news. They are nor 'advertising', they are advising the take up.

In any event foreigner cannot apply.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, seancbk said:

Just goes to show that Thais will signup for anything that is free.

I doubt most of them needed the 100 minutes, they just took it because it's free.

Farang will too. I would; why not? For many the extra 100 will be helpful, yes. Seems you're lacking *naam jai.

Edited by BigStar

11 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

In any event foreigner cannot apply.

I'm a foreigner. Not only could I apply, I also got my 100 free minutes pretty much instantly. Others as well, it was discussed here on TVF at the time.

You probably mixed it up with the free data package that only Thais could apply for.

• Like 2

I almost never make a phone call the old way. Most of the time I use Line or WhatsApp. No big loss for me that I didn't get the free minutes. Free internet would have been a different story. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, rooster59 said:

This package is a collaboration between the government, the NBTC and six telecom operators to ease the financial pressure on the public brought on by the Covid-19 outbreak,” he added.

How man overcame economic hardship when there was no such a thing mobile phone?  

Free XXX movie might be more appropriate for hardship for killing time.