Thai Airways faces privatisation if it declares bankruptcy

webfact

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Meanwhile, Nares Puengyam, leader of the THAI trade union, voiced concern about the airline potentially losing its status as state enterprise. 

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Officials, however, say that once THAI becomes a private entity, it will find it easier to restructure by cutting redundant staff, slashing wages as well as cancelling perks offered to the local elite and efficiently managing its costs as a whole.

Khun Nares, is most concerned about cuts to his gravy train.

I wish the best for the Thai employees and hope most of the savings can be made by cancelling the perks offered to the elite. I'm sure there are more than a few 'staff' that can be made redundant, too.

Edited by AgMech Cowboy

7 hours ago, tribalfusion001 said:

I had a pleasant flight with them in March going back to the UK, they have been over priced for years, but were always an option for a direct flight to BKK.

I agree with you.

The last 7-8 y i flew with them from Brussels and i loved doing that. Convenient hours for flying in and out.

But i will not say they are really overpriced. I Always flew for around 500-550€. But idiotic Brussels Airlines are overpriced. They offer the same flights ( flown by TA) for about 200€ more!

Only 1 company could beat them with direct flights ( from A'dam) and that was China Airlines.

Unfortunately, there is no chance they will become privatised.

One of the board of directors is so closely linked to the top he is actually in one of the infamous photos a few years ago. This is literally 'jobs for the boys' until the day it goes extinct. The establishments controlling this country would never let THAI be controlled by anyone other themselves or their close allies.  

Privatisation is the only answer.

It is the only way that the elite parasites will be stopped draining Thai airways.

At the end of the day parasites always kill there hosts and that applies to a lot of things in Thailand not just airlines

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, dallen52 said:

A rose by any other name is still a rose...

Thai airways is Certainly no rose, or Thai orchid come to think about it. 

Never the cheapest way to fly, just the convenient way, Melbourne to Bangkok. 

They should be fully audited by independent auditors. 

Restructuring is definitely required. 

Privatization may be the answer.

If declared bankrupt it could be a great pickup. 

But what airline has the cash to buy them and their debts?

As long as they honour my flight credit and get the international flights up ASAP, the rest is up to them.

never had a problem with them,always about ten quid cheaper than eva.food on board always on a par with anyone else and they fly thruogh the night,get to swampy in the arvo then onwards to pats lovely

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ooyha said:

never had a problem with them,always about ten quid cheaper than eva.food on board always on a par with anyone else and they fly thruogh the night,get to swampy in the arvo then onwards to pats lovely

Agree, never had problems with them and also the only airline

who flies nonstop Perth to Bangkok and I don't think they where

overpriced. I always had a decent meal. And yes I traveled onward

to Pats as well. 

19 hours ago, dallen52 said:

A rose by any other name is still a rose...

Thai airways is Certainly no rose, or Thai orchid come to think about it. 

Never the cheapest way to fly, just the convenient way, Melbourne to Bangkok. 

They should be fully audited by independent auditors. 

Restructuring is definitely required. 

Privatization may be the answer.

If declared bankrupt it could be a great pickup. 

But what airline has the cash to buy them and their debts?

As long as they honour my flight credit and get the international flights up ASAP, the rest is up to them.

I wonder, if you are so negative about this airline, how become you have flight credit with them?

I agree they are not the cheapest, but to my country they operate direct flights, which I in normal times always could buy at 34.000 Baht.

The next alternative for me would be Austrian airlines, which would involve 1 switch with a stop of about 2 hours each way, at 28.000 Baht.

Of course I can get far cheaper flights as well, if I want to waste half a day somewhere in an airport, but I think their prices are fair for what they offer

4 hours ago, Susco said:

I wonder, if you are so negative about this airline, how become you have flight credit with them?

I agree they are not the cheapest, but to my country they operate direct flights, which I in normal times always could buy at 34.000 Baht.

The next alternative for me would be Austrian airlines, which would involve 1 switch with a stop of about 2 hours each way, at 28.000 Baht.

Of course I can get far cheaper flights as well, if I want to waste half a day somewhere in an airport, but I think their prices are fair for what they offer

The reason for the credit is that Thai airways cancel my flight twice.

I had been in Australia when the bushfires were on.

I normally live in Thailand. 

(Subject of previous posts)

Being stranded in Melbourne and only a one line response from Thai airways saying, Sorry your flight is cancelled. Twice.

Many requests for information, no response. 

All I have is a general information from them saying that the flight validity is extended until December 2021.

At least retaining the credit is a good start for resumption of service. 

My partner is also stranded in Buriram. 

A reverse situation. 

Hope this answers your question?

7 hours ago, ooyha said:

Agree they provide a service. 

Based in Australia I have few options for traveling to Thailand. 

It's the premature cancellation of the flight that stuffed me.

At their suggestions I put a flight to Thailand for March 27th.

My March 20th was cancelled. 

I had the covid19 test and a medical certificate. 

Then March 25th unannounced they suspended all flights. 

Justa one liner.

Your flight is cancelled...

And to date the only information is what I see posted publicly.

The most curious part of this article is 'leased aircraft'.

Part of the whole debacle of TG is that they don't have leased aircraft, unlike most airlines which have a mix of purchased and leased aircraft, which gives them the flexibility to return aircraft to the lease company if conditions change.

TG has always purchased aircraft, which has been instrumental in their crippling debt to equity ratio.

Someone needs to go business school to understand the economics of the airline business, even before this nightmare

• Thanks 1

I like Thai Air, its like a scruffy, peculiar old friend.

The staff are nice, food good, and there are sexpats to chat with.

Sure the planes can be old, entertainment patchy and website illogical, but it always has a relaxed, scruffy atmosphere I enjoy.

9 minutes ago, toast1 said:

I like Thai Air, its like a scruffy, peculiar old friend.

The staff are nice, food good, and there are sexpats to chat with.

Sure the planes can be old, entertainment patchy and website illogical, but it always has a relaxed, scruffy atmosphere I enjoy.

Thai over philipine airlines any old day.

On 5/19/2020 at 1:38 PM, BobbyL said:

Unfortunately, there is no chance they will become privatised.

One of the board of directors is so closely linked to the top he is actually in one of the infamous photos a few years ago. This is literally 'jobs for the boys' until the day it goes extinct. The establishments controlling this country would never let THAI be controlled by anyone other themselves or their close allies.  

Then let the state go insolvent trying to prop them up. We win either way! 

4 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

It would orgasmic if a foreign led conglomerate staged a hostile takeover of THAI. 

Why in hell should anybody with a brain buy an airline where half of First/Business is occupied by freeloaders from the Thai "do you know who I am" clientele. 

39 minutes ago, CHdiver said:

Why in hell should anybody with a brain buy an airline where half of First/Business is occupied by freeloaders from the Thai "do you know who I am" clientele. 

They could buy it with a condition that no note than 1% are allowed to be Thais.

16 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

The most curious part of this article is 'leased aircraft'.

Part of the whole debacle of TG is that they don't have leased aircraft, unlike most airlines which have a mix of purchased and leased aircraft, which gives them the flexibility to return aircraft to the lease company if conditions change.

TG has always purchased aircraft, which has been instrumental in their crippling debt to equity ratio.

Someone needs to go business school to understand the economics of the airline business, even before this nightmare

That is not true.

The 53 Airbus aircraft on loaned to Thai Airways comprise six Airbus A380-800s, 12 A350-900s, 15 A330-300s and 20 A320-200s.

https://www.nationthailand.com/premium/30388184?izooto=&utm_source=izooto&utm_medium=push_notifications&utm_campaign=Airbus calls in THAI debts for 30 rented jets&utm_content=&utm_term=

Edited by tomacht8