Storm-damage alert issued for most of country

snoop1130

Storm-damage alert issued for most of country

By THE NATION

800_f7398af4d2c41a7.png

Authorities have issued a storm-damage alert as Thailand continued to feel the effects of cyclone Ampan on Tuesday (May 19). Officials in Bangkok and 62 other provinces have been ordered to monitor for flash flooding and other impacts until Thursday, said Monton Sudprasert, director-general of the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department.

The warning covers 13 provinces in the North and Northeast – Mae Hong Son, Chiang Mai, Lamphun, Lampang, Phrae, Nan, Uttaradit, Tak, Sukhothai, Phitsanulok, Kamphaeng Phet, Phichit and Phetchabun; and 18 Loei, Nong Bua Lam Phu, Udon Thani, Nong Khai, Bueng Kan, Sakon Nakhon, Nakhon Phanom, Chaiyaphum, Khon Kaen, Maha Sarakham, Roi Et, Yasothon, Amnat Charoen, Nakhon Ratchasima, Buri Ram, Surin, Sisaket and Ubon Ratchathani.

It also covers 15 provinces in the Central region – Nakhon Sawan, Uthai Thani, Ratchaburi, Kanchanaburi, Chai Nat, Suphan Buri, Nakhon Pathom, Nonthaburi, Pathum Thani, Samut Prakan, Samut Sakhon, Samut Songkhram, Phetchaburi, Prachuap Khiri Khan and Nakhon Nayok.

Also placed under alert are seven eastern provinces – Prachin Buri, Sa Kaeo, Chachoengsao, Chon Buri, Rayong, Chanthaburi and Trat – and the nine southern provinces of Chumphon, Surat Thani, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Phatthalung, Songkhla, Ranong, Phang Nga, Phuket and Krabi.

Monton added that he has ordered his staff to prepare for disasters in eastern provinces.

Staff have been instructed to monitor the weather around the clock, while local government agencies have been told to keep residents updated about the situation.

Monton said 223 households had already suffered damage from thunderstorms influenced by the cyclone, which is centred to the west in the Bay of Bengal. The storm damage occurred across six provinces, namely Nan, Lampang, Kalasin, Surin, Amnat Charoen, and Uthai Thani.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30388132?utm_source=category&utm_medium=internal_referral

nation.jpg

- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-05-19

5 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I didn't call your house a shack, i'd call it a box.

Was yours one of the 223 damaged that was mentioned in the article?

Unlikely, I wouldn't know who to tell, doubt the builder tells anyone.

It's not expensive to fix, about 8 tiles have slipped, might not even need replacing.

House on the left is worse with 20 tiles missing, house on the right not so bad with only 2 tiles gone.

One of the disadvantages of living next to fields, nothing to break the wind.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ThaiFelix said:

Same in my village.  Weather really looks the part with dark looming clouds and strong winds but each time it spits for 10 seconds then gone leaving only the humidity.

It's been tipping down in San Sai at least every other night for the past week.

Lucky it didn't rain on the roof last night, should be OK later today.

• Confused 2

Tiled roofs ... ridiculous!

Not storm proof let alone cyclone proof, hail breaks them, wind lifts them n moves them, ridges n valleys tricky to deal properly and effectively - water ingress!!!!

Cyclone proof galvanised steel sheeting is the go????, attached per cyclone rated fixings ... easy peazy ????

Fast to install tough as guts! Easy to insulate under too????

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Not storm proof let alone cyclone proof, hail breaks them, wind lifts them n moves them, ridges n valleys tricky to deal properly and effectively - water ingress!!!!

Mine would have been fine if the roofers had tied every other tile like they're supposed to, and not every other row. I suppose it lasted 7 years like that, and only my house and the house either side were damaged out of 250 in the moobaan.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Cyclone proof galvanised steel sheeting is the go????, attached per cyclone rated fixings ... easy peazy ????

Most roofs in Thailand and rest of mainland SE Asia ate tiled.

Not many cyclines here. Hail also rare.

• Like 1

Holy com cm said:

"CM is always weird. think is has something because borders the mountain.. Go ten minutes one way and nothing, go another 10 minutes another direction and whammo with wind and or rain. zero in my area."

Fixed now, 2,000bht special 'farang price' for less than an hours work and 2 new tiles.

The Thai next door got a better price 4,000bht for an hours work and 20 new tiles.

As for rain, the klong behind the house is full .......... to overflowing.

IMG_20200519_110443.jpg

Edited by BritManToo

7 minutes ago, Silent Number said:

That’s rotten luck Brit. Nobody hurt I hope

Didn't even notice until a builder working next door pointed it out, mine did't leak.

Owner of the house with the holes was in Bangkok, we phoned him up to tell him, and all 3 damaged houses were fixed by the builder today. 4,000bht for house with holes (20 new tiles), 2,000bht for my moved tiles (2 new tiles), and 2,000bht for the house out of frame on the right (2 new tiles).

Not a bad wage for a job that took less than 1 hour per house.

Although he did climb out through the roof from inside the loft to do the job, which was a bit too exciting for me to DIY.

Problem caused by the original house builder only tying every other row of tiles when it should have been every other tile.

Edited by BritManToo

11 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Galvanised sheeting roofs are loud when it rains, tiled roofs are less sturdy but quieter. Quite a bit of difference too

Edited by MikeyIdea

15 hours ago, Metropolitian said:

So cyclone skips Bangkok then?

Yes...government social distancing regs state no more than two weather systems within 1.5 meters so Cyclone has to wait for heat wave to leave