High-speed railway between Thailand and China signing expected in October

webfact

50 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Wasn't there speculation that for China it would offer fast cheap access to the Thai western seaboard ports (Laem Chabang and Maptaput) for worldwide container shipping?

Where have you seen that this line would carry freight?

I'm still confused why schools are teaching English.

Chinese, all day.

The English transliteration is usually wrong, anyhow.  I'm ready for for some characters.

Wuhan all day.  

Breaking news:  Virus originated from NYC and was secretly planted by the CIA in Wuhan.  I read this in textbooks, it's the official history now.  

kneeee how

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, sscc said:

The Heading of the thread, as quoted from Pattaya Mail  web  is the confusion. 

This is not from Bangkok Thailand to China   or noted  "between Thailand and China"  in the heading of the thread.

The 253 km route presently pricing at 50.6 Baht is the part from Bangkok to Laos border. 

China and Laos are cooperating on rail project together.  That project is reportedly under construction now.  

Construction in Laos started 4 years ago. Estimated finish is Dec. 2021.

7 minutes ago, Barry343 said:

Belt and Road Initiative by China over the last 10 years to other nations  have resulted in China owning the major infrastructure of that country when it was time to pay the over inflated interested on the loan. China earlier this week stated that it is now prepared for war against anyone

Do You know what the lending rate is Barry343??

If I could get a loan at the rates the Chinese are offering----- I would take a suitcase to them.

Some countries through mismanagement have defaulted on loans--- look at the type of countries they are. Thailand has forced china to give a low rate on this project, because it is in the interest of China as well as Thailand....... it gives China a route into South East Asia......on to Cambodia Vietnam etc.

After the last round of talks when Thailand asked for another reduction--The interest rate now is down to  2%

China has agreed in principle to reduce the interest rate interest rate Meaning: Transport Minister Arkhom Termpittayapaisith said on Tuesday.

After several rounds of negotiations, China's vice-premier promised to slash the interest rate to 2% from 2.5%**

**The report on the interest rate comes from the paper that I can not give a link to

11 minutes ago, pegman said:

Where on earth have you seen that it wouldn't !!

Do you know of any train line that doesn't?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Trillian said:

Interesting that 80% of the deal will be paid in USD, is that because the Chinese think the Baht will lose value over the life of the contract or because the Thai's think it will gain value. Either way, the Chinese appear not to want to hold THB.

It's because of the huge Foreign Currency reserve at a guess.

38 minutes ago, Barry343 said:

Belt and Road Initiative by China over the last 10 years to other nations  have resulted in China owning the major infrastructure of that country when it was time to pay the over inflated interested on the loan. China earlier this week stated that it is now prepared for war against anyone.

It did huh?

Care to share that link?

Though I am not fond of the dictators in China, but a high speed rail project is desperately needed here. After this route is finished, they can start on the Bangkok to Singapore route. Alternative transportation is really lacking, and the 60 year old trains are an abomination, for a nation that considers itself modern. The army has plenty of money to fund this, but they are too greedy to help the nation in this manner. They would be far better off using a Japanese company, but it is likely all about easy financing. China has nothing but bad intentions, long term. 

Edited by spidermike007

24 minutes ago, Traubert said:

It's because of the huge Foreign Currency reserve at a guess.

I did some digging: the Bangkok Post (23/11/19) reports that the Chinese requested payment in USD, BOT agreed to pay in USD and took out a USD loan but forward fixed the exchange rate of the loan so there is no currency risk.

1 hour ago, pegman said:
2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Wasn't there speculation that for China it would offer fast cheap access to the Thai western seaboard ports (Laem Chabang and Maptaput) for worldwide container shipping?

It was some discussion over a year ago now I read regarding China's interest in accessing the western seaboard. Either by constructing a road across Myanmar to Dawei and a new proposed port, or by rail via Thailand, as both reduce the sea freight time by shortening the shipping route.

I couldn't find a link offhand, but I bet you could find something via google.

1 hour ago, Traubert said:
2 hours ago, Barry343 said:

Belt and Road Initiative by China over the last 10 years to other nations  have resulted in China owning the major infrastructure of that country when it was time to pay the over inflated interested on the loan. China earlier this week stated that it is now prepared for war against anyone.

It did huh?

Care to share that link?

I saw they were talking about 'preparedness for military combat':

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-china-parliament-xi/chinas-xi-urges-preparedness-for-military-combat-amid-coronavirus-epidemic-state-tv-idUKKBN2321GY

Don't know how much of it is rhetoric though.

2 hours ago, sanuk711 said:

That's correct sscc--in 2 stages up to Korat first---then on to Lao (Nong Kai) Laos then takes the bill for the China connection.

The advantage of it going into Lao (from Thailand's point of view) is that Thailand is supplying Lao at the moment by road, and anyone who lives up this way will tell you its been an explosion in heavy Transport in the last 10-12 years as the demand from Lao for goods  grown. New bridges across the Mekong, new road infrastructure , just the small town I live --Udon has had 2 fly overs 1 under pass widened ring road to try to stop the trucks coming into town with another further out ring road on the planing.

The Trains wont just take tourists. There will be freight moving up that line as well.

Aha, is that what they are building as I drive up to Korat on the 2 ?

4 hours ago, pegman said:

China will soon be the largest  economy on earth. Better they gain influence by building and financing infrastructure rather than  dropping bombs like the Americans did in this region not that long ago. Prior to the pandemic Cambodia and Laos were booming because of Chinese investment. 

Infrastructure for those that see China as a friend, IMO bombs later for those that don't. They ain't building a huge military because they are scared.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

Under Contract 2.3, 80 per cent of the payment will be made in the US currency and the remaining 20 per cent will be made in baht. pocketed.

Seriously though, did Thailand tender the contracts out or was China the only bidder?

He who holds the purse strings makes the rules!

Don't think China has the nice public procurement fairness rules the US, UK and EU do.

Belt and road. Geo stragetic power play by the CCP to dominate and hold countries hostage to debt diplomacy. How can you expect anything more from the Thai Chinese military junta govt. but to embrace this. The future is going to be interesting. The CCP know their hold on power is in trouble. They are going to push as hard as possible to retain that power. Countries in their debt trap need to default on the loans. SE Asia is one of the keys to China cementing it's global power. This should not happen. 

Edited by dinsdale

12 hours ago, Thechook said:

Do not get into bed with them.  They will own you for ever as you will never repay the debt.  Look at the African and Pacific Island nations.  May as well call the removalists and hand them the keys now.

Big S!!!t fight with them in OZ, the idiot running Victoria has joined the belt road project , and they've retaliated with trade restrictions about being called to explain their great Covid 19 out break , they are not nice people. put it that way. 

• Like 2

I hope the Thai people resist. Just ask Malaysia, China built their port , couldn't afford the repayment and China said no sweat, we own now. Malaysia now warning countries not to do biz with China, same thing with two ports in Australia, Same in Africa same in US same in S. America and Mexico.  Go figure, just saying! CCP anyone?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nervona81732 said:

I hope the Thai people resist. Just ask Malaysia, China built their port , couldn't afford the repayment and China said no sweat, we own now. Malaysia now warning countries not to do biz with China, same thing with two ports in Australia, Same in Africa same in US same in S. America and Mexico.  Go figure, just saying! CCP anyone?

Sri lanka on that list also

• Like 1