Trump to announce strong Hong Kong response this week

webfact

3 hours ago, earlinclaifornia said:

I doubt this coward in Chef will actually help them.

I always find it amusing when an anonymous poster on an internet bulletin board speaks of others being a coward. So tell us... in your expert opinion, what do you think Trump should do? And how does your expectation compare with what past presidents have done?

• Like 1

Just now, johnpetersen said:

REAGAN DECIDES TO RELAX CURBS ON CHINA TRADE

https://www.nytimes.com/1981/06/06/world/reagan-decides-to-relax-curbs-on-china-trade.html

George HW Bush's muted response to Tiananmen Massacre greatest US China policy failure:

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3588537

Bush Gave China Permanent Normal Trade Relations Status With the US 15 Years Ago. What Did That Change?

https://thediplomat.com/2016/12/bush-gave-china-permanent-normal-trade-relations-status-with-the-us-15-years-ago-what-did-that-change/

Trump spares Chinese telecom firm ZTE from collapse, defying Congress

https://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-trump-china-zte-20180525-story.html

Those Damned Democrats!

Yep, those were all horrible moves. Now.... the year is 2020. Come join us.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Crazy Alex said:

1 minute ago, Crazy Alex said:

You told this statement. 

"Unfortunately, even in the USA, many side with communists. They typically vote for Democrats."

I just pointed out how silly it was. And, of course, utterly unproveable.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

Who decides whose good and bad in the world - you?

HK is a part of China. Maybe the world needs a collective response to American Foreign Policy? Or perhaps the world needs a response to how African-Americans seem to risk being murdered regularly by various Police Forces?

If the current US administration doesn't want to trade with another country, then that's up to them. As long as they don't want to dictate what's right and wrong to others; because quite frankly, they don't always know the difference themselves.

The problem is that is exactly what trump has done. Told other countries who they can and cannot trade with.

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, johnpetersen said:

You told this statement. 

"Unfortunately, even in the USA, many side with communists. They typically vote for Democrats."

I just pointed out how silly it was. And, of course, utterly unproveable.

Not silly. Provable. Just read posts from many leftists here and on other forums. And why do you think four actions by Republican presidents disproves my assertion anyway?

Edited by Crazy Alex
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, johnpetersen said:

Because typically it's Republican politicians who have ignored Chinese human rights violations in order to do business with China. Democrats have always protested far more.

Yes, I vividly recall Clinton demanding civil rights protections as he gave China most favored nation status. Oh wait a minute....

Even still, I prefer to operate based on results, not how loud someone screams. I guess that's just me.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

22 minutes ago, rvaviator said:

One thing I find a bit amusing is how people keep saying that China is a 'communist country' ... Just had a refresh my ailing memory :

image.png.5281a10130df9231ae0f5a34a1b8e69f.png

Not something I recognize in China today .....  In many ways more capitalistic than the west ... But without the same level of 'democracy' that we see in the west. ????

Correct.

Liberal Capitalism will wane with the fortunes of the increasingly chaotic US.

The next phase, Totalitarian Capitalism, is what China will bring to the world.

Edited by Enoon
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, Crazy Alex said:

Yes, I vividly recall Clinton demanding civil rights protections as he gave China most favored nation status. Oh wait a minute....

Even still, I prefer to operate based on results, not how loud someone screams. I guess that's just me.

Yes. Bill Clinton campaigned and governed as a New Democrat.  which meant being more like a Republican. 

So tell me what human rights gains in China were advanced by soft talking Republicans?

good luck waiting for companies to move their factories from China / HK to the USA.  They may move to Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar, Thailand or Mexico and other LatAm countries before they set up in the USA where wages are higher and they have to pay benefits.  Central/ South America may be the regions to benefit most as they are closer to the USA and America will have an easier time pushing their weight around.  

Nobody really believes that USA will risk a confrontation over HK, do they?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, stevenl said:

For what, announcing there will be a new announcement soon?

he seems to be doing that quite often - it's marketing 101 and keep people excited about the "brand" 

Many airlines, retail stores, movies send "teasers" before going live with a sale, release

• Like 1

5 hours ago, natway09 said:

Trump has shied away from real issues that he should be looking into at home, but is poking his nose into Hong Kong which is now part of China (goose.).

To me (& this is not confined to the US)  the issue of going the not buy Chinese route  is fine but the costs 

on many items will triple overnight. Are the general public going to accept this or are shop on line 

going to go through the roof ?

The online stores also source from China LOL.. 

The western economy is built on consumer demand and people buying new items before they really need to (e.g. how many people replace their iPhone every 2 years although the old one is perfectly fine).  At the moment many people would not be able to afford higher retail prices, if they want to maintain the current life-style

• Thanks 1

And here it is:

Pompeo says Hong Kong is no longer autonomous

Washington (CNN)  Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said he certified to Congress Wednesday that Hong Kong no longer enjoys a high degree of autonomy from China -- a decision that could result in the loss of Hong Kong's special trading status with the US and threaten the its standing as an international financial hub.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/27/politics/hong-kong-pompeo-certification/index.html

It appears the cold war has officially begun.

8 hours ago, Miami007 said:

good luck waiting for companies to move their factories from China / HK to the USA.  They may move to Vietnam, Cambodia, Myanmar, Thailand or Mexico and other LatAm countries before they set up in the USA where wages are higher and they have to pay benefits.  Central/ South America may be the regions to benefit most as they are closer to the USA and America will have an easier time pushing their weight around.  

Nobody really believes that USA will risk a confrontation over HK, do they?

HK and Taiwan ..... Lets not forget them ???? .   

8 hours ago, Miami007 said:

The online stores also source from China LOL.. 

The western economy is built on consumer demand and people buying new items before they really need to (e.g. how many people replace their iPhone every 2 years although the old one is perfectly fine).  At the moment many people would not be able to afford higher retail prices, if they want to maintain the current life-style

Ultimately people have to decide what they value in life ... ????