Jump to content

Pattaya beer bar owners beg the government to let them open


rooster59

Recommended Posts

Pattaya beer bar owners beg the government to let them open

 

640_88aakag8jgji9gbhbcf97.jpg

Image: Nation TV

 

Nation TV went to Pattaya and discovered that the coronavirus pandemic has hit the so-called 'bar beer' owners terribly. 

 

Some among ten in Soi Wong Amat (Soi Na Klua 18) have sold up while others are desperate for the government to ease restrictions on them opening. 

 

They still have to pay rents, accommodation and food for staff and utilities. They don't want to abandon their employees. 

 

Two owners with foreign surnames spoke to the media.

 

Saengdeuan (surname withheld), aged 59, who has run TJ Bar for 16 years was in tears as she recounted how she won't abandon her 20 staff.

 

"What else am I going to do," she said. "I will just have to wait for the tourists to return whenever that is". 

 

Buapha, 44, who owns Blue Marlin begged the government to let her open.

 

She said there may be no foreign tourists but she can serve Thais in the meantime, at least that would be something.

 

Source: Nation TV

 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2020-06-06
 
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Many of their customers are close to begging the government to let them reopen too. With no local transmissions in a couple of weeks now, there is essentially no one out there right now for people to catch covid from, so further continued closure makes very little sense. They have zero chance of getting tourists in all the time this continues and now would seem the perfect time to allow them to open so the situation can be assessed and protocol addressed before people come back in numbers.

There are a lot of people employed by these places who need to get back to earning a living.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

They still have to pay rents, accommodation and food for staff and utilities. They don't want to abandon their employees.....

 

Saengdeuan (surname withheld), aged 59, who has run TJ Bar for 16 years was in tears as she recounted how she won't abandon her 20 staff.

The greedy Thai landlords, still asking for full rent payements, are part of the problem.

 

A lot of the small beer bars are running like a ''family'', the boss and the mamasan are the

parents and the girls are the child, so i am not surprised the ''parents'' take care of their ''child''

but of course they don't have infinite funds, they need to open again soon.

Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

She said there may be no foreign tourists but she can serve Thais in the meantime, at least that would be something

Let us know if they ling the bell .. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is sad seeing the food queues in Pattaya. So many people are relying on charity mainly provided by the bars. At least if they can open they can get a little money. There have been no community transmissions for weeks so what will a week or two matter. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, rooster59 said:

She said there may be no foreign tourists but she can serve Thais in the meantime, at least that would be something.

Seeing photos of these bars they seem like Falang places. I doubt Thais would be flocking in for beers.

I agree though they should open them.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Wongkitlo said:

It is sad seeing the food queues in Pattaya. So many people are relying on charity mainly provided by the bars. At least if they can open they can get a little money.

Absolutely no national media coverage of the fantastic efforts of businesses here (mainly farang) in Pattaya/Phuket....I wonder why...shameful treatment by this junta towards the most vulnerable in its society :sad:

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Seeing photos of these bars they seem like Falang places. I doubt Thais would be flocking in for beers.

I agree though they should open them.

 

Exactly.

Open them up to no customers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, darksidedog said:

Many of their customers are close to begging the government to let them reopen too. With no local transmissions in a couple of weeks now, there is essentially no one out there right now for people to catch covid from, so further continued closure makes very little sense. They have zero chance of getting tourists in all the time this continues and now would seem the perfect time to allow them to open so the situation can be assessed and protocol addressed before people come back in numbers.

There are a lot of people employed by these places who need to get back to earning a living.

I find it strange how people somehow can comment on the Thai government not doing enough tests and thinking there are transmissions but hidden and that figures dont add up. However when it suits them they believe the government that there are no local corvid transmissions if it helps their case.

 

IMHO corvid is still out there just not found by testing and opening bars and forgetting social distancing will start a second wave. 

 

So either you believe the goverment that there is no corvid out there and we should open it all up forget about all measures and return to our previous lives or you believe (like i do) that its still out there but that the government just does not find it because of lack of testing and opening up would be a problem.

 

I too want to go back to pre corvid but I think its still too early. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, robblok said:

I find it strange how people somehow can comment on the Thai government not doing enough tests and thinking there are transmissions but hidden and that figures dont add up. However when it suits them they believe the government that there are no local corvid transmissions if it helps their case.

 

IMHO corvid is still out there just not found by testing and opening bars and forgetting social distancing will start a second wave. 

 

So either you believe the goverment that there is no corvid out there and we should open it all up forget about all measures and return to our previous lives or you believe (like i do) that its still out there but that the government just does not find it because of lack of testing and opening up would be a problem.

 

I too want to go back to pre corvid but I think its still too early. 

The second wave would have came with the opening of markets and a crowded BTS. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, OnTheRun said:

The second wave would have came with the opening of markets and a crowded BTS. 

Both are essential businesses bars are not. Besides you get far closer to people in bars (we all know why guys go to the beer bars). Plus in the places you mention people wear masks. Can you imagine the girls wearing masks or their customers. I mean those girls have new customers every day and close contact. I mean prime way to spread corvid.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

Open air beer bars are much lower risk than supermarkets. Govt just doesn't comprehend what they've done

🤣

 

Right... beer bars whit girls entertaining the guys. I bet no social distancing and no masks and its safer then a supermarket. Especially with girls being close to multiple guys during the day. Seems to me a high risk factor. If it is only a beer bar no girls then sure you might be right. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, petermik said:

businesses here (mainly farang) in Pattaya/Phuket....I wonder why...shameful treatment by this junta towards the most vulnerable in its society :sad:

This farang businesses you talk about are in fact on the paper owned by Thai dummies, most businesses are not legal.

This government closes already on eye on this businesses,

so don't push it... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kingofthemountain said:

The greedy Thai landlords, still asking for full rent payements, are part of the problem.

 

A lot of the small beer bars are running like a ''family'', the boss and the mamasan are the

parents and the girls are the child, so i am not surprised the ''parents'' take care of their ''child''

but of course they don't have infinite funds

What?  In your mind the landlords do have "infinite funds"?

Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, robblok said:

I find it strange how people somehow can comment on the Thai government not doing enough tests and thinking there are transmissions but hidden and that figures dont add up. However when it suits them they believe the government that there are no local corvid transmissions if it helps their case.

yes ....  farang tv saying what suits. But remember everything this government does is no good and Thailand is no good according to them.  lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kingofthemountain said:

The greedy Thai landlords, still asking for full rent payements, are part of the problem.

And who pays the mortgages from those "greedy Thai landlords"?

Or do the landlords just tell the banks they won't pay and the banks should ignore this?

Obviously some landlords have no mortgages and could afford it. And some beer bar owners could also afford it.

But obviously it's always so much easier to blame the others.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, franzs said:

This farang businesses you talk about are in fact on the paper owned by Thai dummies, most businesses are not legal.

"...most businesses are not legal".

Which businesses and what do you base that assertion on?

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, robblok said:

🤣

 

Right... beer bars whit girls entertaining the guys. I bet no social distancing and no masks and its safer then a supermarket. Especially with girls being close to multiple guys during the day. Seems to me a high risk factor. If it is only a beer bar no girls then sure you might be right. 

Not all beer bars have hookers, not all farangs go to a beer bar to talk to a hooker. I'd rather chance it in an open air bar choosing where i sit and who I sit with than being crammed into a carriage on the BTS/MRT at rush hour.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sungod said:

Not all beer bars have hookers, not all farangs go to a beer bar to talk to a hooker. I'd rather chance it in an open air bar choosing where i sit and who I sit with than being crammed into a carriage on the BTS/MRT at rush hour.

Agreed, that was why in an other post i said if its just an open air bar without girls it probably safer. But with the girls.. no way. I think a majority of the people begging for the beer bars are not going there for just the beers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, robblok said:

🤣

 

Right... beer bars whit girls entertaining the guys. I bet no social distancing and no masks and its safer then a supermarket. Especially with girls being close to multiple guys during the day. Seems to me a high risk factor. If it is only a beer bar no girls then sure you might be right. 

Those same guys are probably using thaifriendly, tinder, wechat, Line so are still seeing these girls so keeping open air bars closed is stupid

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, robblok said:

Both are essential businesses bars are not. Besides you get far closer to people in bars (we all know why guys go to the beer bars). Plus in the places you mention people wear masks. Can you imagine the girls wearing masks or their customers. I mean those girls have new customers every day and close contact. I mean prime way to spread corvid.

Your argument makes no sense, essential or not, people are in close contact, what you are saying is that it is OK in certain circumstances but not in others, half measures..........

Tourists may go to bars for the girls, most expats go to the bars for a beer and a chat.

As far as the girls and customers, isn't that still going on, via social media?

Most of the rest of the world is opening up entertainment venues, there is no reason why Thailand cannot as well, life has to go on. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mattd said:

 

Tourists may go to bars for the girls, most expats go to the bars for a beer and a chat.

 

And because they also will drink they will not use any masks. And since they want to chat they will sit close together. And they might move from one bar to another and might meet many different people. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Oldie said:

And because they also will drink they will not use any masks. And since they want to chat they will sit close together. And they might move from one bar to another and might meet many different people. 

And?

Life HAS to go on, I can happily sit with a couple of friends with a distance between us and chat, why is it OK to go to a restaurant in the same circumstances but not a bar? 

Please don't say the restaurant is for eating.............. that much is obvious, my point is that allowing people to interact in certain circumstances and not other makes absolutely no sense.

Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, robblok said:

🤣

 

Right... beer bars whit girls entertaining the guys. I bet no social distancing and no masks and its safer then a supermarket. Especially with girls being close to multiple guys during the day. Seems to me a high risk factor. If it is only a beer bar no girls then sure you might be right. 

All your point are noted, but for corona to spread, there must be an infected person.

 

So regardless of where you are, open markets, malls or bars it all comes down to who is infected. Viruses don't differentiate by job description as to who will be infected. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...