Thailand holds Zoom protest for Black Lives Matter movement

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The group also observed 8 minutes and 46 seconds of silence - the period that Floyd was filmed pinned under a white officer's knee - to know "how it feels", Natalie added.

If they need someone to assist, I will gladly show them exactly how that feels. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Youlike said:

And i bet these kids can't be bothered to know that the killed black guy was a robber who broke into the house of a pregnant lady, put a gun on her belly and ordered money....the superlooser.

About discrimination, i feel very discriminated in thailand, in a mall they check me nonstop for a mouthmask while the thai men just walk around without one.

Even some daft old Bishop singing his praises in the US as though he was some kind of saint.

Of course he shouldn't have died as he did, but, a bit of reality should be in the mix.

I suppose if the headline was man who had been convicted for armed robbery and various drug offences dies in police custody it would cause problems because his colour was mentioned.

Edited by overherebc

4 hours ago, faraday said:

Everybody's life matters.....

Yes, including Burmese scapegoats, Thai activists, young tourists on Kho Tao, Chinese tourists going for a boat ride, road users and all the other victims of injustice indifferance and intolerance.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Thechook said:

Coming from people who spend billions on whitening agents

I was walking through those eateries next to the Gourmet Market in Siam Paragon yesterday. Jesus. I thought I was in the studios of Channel 3 amidst all their drama superstars. All the skin bleaching and plastic surgery, like perfect porcelain dolls.

My experience thus far in Thailand has revealed to me a strict correlation between skin tone and social standing. Those of us with Issan wives known they'd almost certainly never get good jobs at big companies. Just look at who's walking around in suits and behind the desks. Then look at who's doing the cleaning.

Anyway, good on these guys for at least some show of support. Perhaps it will raise awareness of their own situation.

skincard.jpg

3 hours ago, TooBigToFit said:

Around the year 2000 or a few years later, Thailand changed its law that when a Thai woman married a foreign man, she lost her right to own land. Thai women just lost rights to go to police cadets' school two years ago. The present government and royalists support that. For some government positions, Thai family names seem to come up as a requirement to having a chance for some of the better Thai jobs. I'd bet that beyond names, politics and showing your yellow are also used in many government offices when making the final hires. Foreigners are still banned from land ownership unless you invest a million baht. You can now buy it with your wife as partners. If your wife dies, you probably won't get ownership of your land alone as a foreigner. And of course, making foreigners report every 90 days for decades is not a sign of good relationships with foreigners. Discrimination is alive and well in Thailand.

Around the year 2000 or a few years later, Thailand changed its law that when a Thai woman married a foreign man, she lost her right to own land

I think that this is easily understood judging by some replies.

It used to be that a Thai woman lost the right to buy land when she married a foreigner.

It was around 2000 that the law was repealed and since then a Thai woman married to a foreigner can buy land.

3 hours ago, Youlike said:

And i bet these kids can't be bothered to know that the killed black guy was a robber who broke into the house of a pregnant lady, put a gun on her belly and ordered money....the superlooser.

About discrimination, i feel very discriminated in thailand, in a mall they check me nonstop for a mouthmask while the thai men just walk around without one.

a) doesn't matter and is trrelevant

b) poor you! Meeeee, meeee, meeee...look at meeeee....I have a problem!

Yes, Thailand has a problem with systemic rascism!

But...we all want the youth of Thailand to wake up, be politically engeaged...and now we want to dictate, what their engagement is about?

Especially those of us, who come up with BS about George Floyd and Black Lives Matter, because they themselves have an agenda of bogorty, hatred and racism?!

Neat!

7 minutes ago, Saint Nick said:

a) doesn't matter and is trrelevant

b) poor you! Meeeee, meeee, meeee...look at meeeee....I have a problem!

Yes Thailand is a racist Country ! White farang who have lived in it long enough will know!

• Like 1