Win 10 sign in problem

Bangkok Barry

I've recently set up a new laptop and tried one or two tweaks using WinAero Tweaker, specifically to change the user name from bangk which the machine came with. Now, I get two sign-in options when I boot up, both with my name but one with no profile picture and in grey. That is the default and doesn't accept whatever password it has stored, but I'm okay with the alternative, the original with my profile pic and the PIN I use. See the photos below.

Only one user is shown in My Accounts, as administrator and with my profile picture. The other with no picture isn't there to delete. When I've gone through what needs to be done to disable sign in, it makes no difference - I still have the two 'accounts' showing on bootup and I need to sign in.

Does anyone have any suggestion, please, on how to solve this?

20200608_155913_resized.jpg

20200608_155959_resized.jpg

Sign in to your account and open the start menu.

Click on 'settings'

select 'accounts'

Choose 'family and other account'

click on the rogue account then select 'delete'

Job done.

4 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Sign in to your account and open the start menu.

Click on 'settings'

select 'accounts'

Choose 'family and other account'

click on the rogue account then select 'delete'

Job done.

As I wrote, the 'rogue account' doesn't show. There is only the 'correct' one, although two appear on the log on screen.

4 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

As I wrote, the 'rogue account' doesn't show. There is only the 'correct' one, although two appear on the log on screen.

Oops, sorry, that's the limit of my knowledge. Good luck hunting it down. ????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bruno123 said:

Have you tried any of these; https://www.isumsoft.com/windows-10/two-duplicate-user-names-on-windows-10-login-screen.html

Personally I would run a Factory Restore, choosing your own options from the beginning and administering your own tweaks manually.

Thanks. Method 3 got rid of the duplication, although when I followed the final step and unclicked the Users must enter... box and booted again I was back to square 1. So I've ticked it again and am resigned to having to use my PIN to sign in. No big hassle - the annoying part of the problem has gone. Thanks again.

1 hour ago, Bruno123 said:

Why would a new laptop come with a username already set up??

Why indeed. But this is Thailand. I bought it through Lazada and it came from their Notebook Store, Allegedly. Anyway, it was otherwise pristine and the duplication has now been solved.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, stouricks said:

Which is the start-up key please?

Must log out first.

Press shift + control + delete (at same time) for log-out menu. Then lake the log-out option.

Not sure where the start=up key is located. Mine is at the top right, But my last comp' was top left.

Wait 10 seconds and then keep both the start-up and shift key depressed for 4 seconds.

Been through it myself. The start-up key is like a plate with a knife going from outside to centre; at 12 o'clock (but not always).

Edited by owl sees all
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Susco said:

I thought sign in was mandatory since Window 7, at least it is so with mine.

The account with no Avatar could be a guest account, and you should be able to remove it when logged in to the other one.

https://www.isunshare.com/windows-10/4-ways-to-enable-and-disable-built-in-guest-on-windows-10.html

My old laptop had been upgraded to 10 and didn't need it. But I'll check what you say. Thanks.

Maybe try booting in safe mode. Maybe then you will see all accounts and can delete one.

Renaming an account is not the same as setting up a new account with the new name. I tried is once and the user directory kept the original name.

In my case I reset the PC like new and then I setup a new account from scratch. If you want to do that depends on how much time you invested already in the setup of your machine and user account.

In case you want to add another user account make sure the name is different from all the names you used already so that the folder name is the same as the user name - like on a brand new PC. That avoids future problems.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Why indeed. But this is Thailand. I bought it through Lazada and it came from their Notebook Store, Allegedly. Anyway, it was otherwise pristine and the duplication has now been solved.

In that case I would definitely do a 'factory reset' on it and reinstall it all from scratch.

One way to hack loads of people would be to sell cheap laptops and preload them with malware.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Bruno123 said:

Why would a new laptop come with a username already set up??

This is what you see when you buy a new Windows 10 laptop: https://www.thewindowsclub.com/oobe-out-of-box-experience-in-windows/

My wife has suggested that when Win 10 was installed on the new machine whoever did it had to give a name and used bangk. That makes sense. I've done some virus and malware scans and all seems to be well.

Have you tried deleting the account through Local Users & Groups?

Hit the Windows key + R and type in (or copy) netplwiz

When the box opens, click on the Advanced tab and then Users. Identify the account you want to remove and delete. Just make sure you aren't logged in on that account!

9 minutes ago, chrisinth said:

Have you tried deleting the account through Local Users & Groups?

Hit the Windows key + R and type in (or copy) netplwiz

When the box opens, click on the Advanced tab and then Users. Identify the account you want to remove and delete. Just make sure you aren't logged in on that account!

It only shows one user, but two ways to sign in. The default one which says the password is wrong, and the alternative and correct one where I can use a PIN. As I've mentioned above in Post #10, I've now removed the 'wrong' sign in but still have to sign in. No big deal about that for me.

10 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

It only shows one user, but two ways to sign in. The default one which says the password is wrong, and the alternative and correct one where I can use a PIN. As I've mentioned above in Post #10, I've now removed the 'wrong' sign in but still have to sign in. No big deal about that for me.

It should not only show one account if you open the advanced tab (think I said this in the previous post) and then click again on advanced in the advanced user management section. As below you should see something similar showing all accounts on your machine.

user-01.jpg.b7c55831f8544235cfd5361795188151.jpg

user-02.jpg.cf42d29586e13920904aa528facc8d56.jpg

If you need further help with rights, you should enable the built in administrator account and log in with this to sort out the rest of your accounts. Yes, your personal login may have local administrator authorization, but it is not the full administrator account.

To enable the built-in admin account open CMD (admin) and type net user administrator /active:yes (to deactivate the account, type net user administrator /active:no). Exit cmd and restart your computer and login with this account.

Navigate back to the above page and sort out your accounts. You will be able to change the passwords here as well by right clicking on the account you want to change and then set password. Leave the fields blank if you don't want to login with a password. Do not delete any of the default accounts.

Restart with your original account and using the command window (cmd(admin)) type net user administrator /active:no to hide the built in Administrator account.

These commands can be used with powershell as well with admin privileges.

5 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I do not get your first picture when I search for user accounts, and cmd/net user administrator /active:yes denies me access even though I am signed in as administrator.

Make sure you run the CMD prompt window as administrator also.

https://www.howtogeek.com/194041/how-to-open-the-command-prompt-as-administrator-in-windows-8.1/#:~:text=Press Windows%2BR to open,Command Prompt window as administrator.

7 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I do not get your first picture when I search for user accounts, and cmd/net user administrator /active:yes denies me access even though I am signed in as administrator.

Hi Barry, I will take you through the steps again; there are two issues here, finding the local accounts and enabling the built-in administrator account.

1/ Hit the Windows key + R and type in (or copy) netplwiz 

instruct-01.jpg.a513313f05ccda6242b215b3e567fb8b.jpg

2/ This will open the User Accounts window. Click on the Advanced Tab.

instruct-02.jpg.ab43e9e96bd2eda795cb1eb5fd1d03a5.jpg

3/ In the Advanced Tab under Advanced user management click on the Advanced button

instruct-03.jpg.0cd3d55b731c17705828d74a5ee46c66.jpg

4/ When the local user manager opens, click on the Users icon on the left and this will show you all the accounts on your machine. This is a pretty standard list of what you should see.

instruct-04.jpg.60eec42ae6474e2cbfe75b4f2d710eff.jpg

You should be able to remove an account by right-clicking and delete with your account's admin privileges, but if not these are the steps to enable the built-in admin account. Be careful with what you remove here!!

Open search (or just click on the start button) and type cmd Either right-click on command prompt or click on Run as administrator in the right column.

cmd-01.jpg.1605f55d6c907bfd48890b51bf8a1353.jpg

This will open the command prompt running as administrator. To enable the built-in administrator account, type (or copy and paste from here) net user administrator /active:yes and enter. Exit cmd on completion.

cmd-02.jpg.622cde4eac4a6d8a1619abd8e3c527b9.jpg

To prove the account is enabled, open Control Panel and User Accounts

instruct-05.jpg.2d89d78d1ce2ca0bd1ad2bca94666c0a.jpg

Click on manage another account and you should see the extra Administrator account now showing

instruct-06.jpg.41570c2f1b05fede5a9186ed620bd9d2.jpg

instruct-07.jpg.2fe2d997cb27f95687e605e67720b8fa.jpg

Barry, just as a disclaimer, I have just shown you how to see what actual accounts are on your copy of W10 and how to enable the hidden system admin account. What you do with this learning curve is up to you (as they say over here).

My suggestion would be, if in your position, would be to bite the bullet and do a fresh install from an ISO from the official site. I say this because someone had already installed the OS instead of letting you do this from the factory settings.

Second option if you have a lot of third party software or a lot of data installed would be to log out of your current account and log back in using the built-in admin account. Delete your current account (but don't delete the files & settings) and create a brand new account (as Administrator). Transfer all the settings across to the new one. Log out again and log back in on the new one. Disable the system admin account ( net user administrator /active:no )

Good luck whichever way you go.....................:thumbsup:

Edited by chrisinth
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, chrisinth said:

Hi Barry, I will take you through the steps again; there are two issues here, finding the local accounts and enabling the built-in administrator account.

1/ Hit the Windows key + R and type in (or copy) netplwiz 

instruct-01.jpg.a513313f05ccda6242b215b3e567fb8b.jpg

2/ This will open the User Accounts window. Click on the Advanced Tab.

instruct-02.jpg.ab43e9e96bd2eda795cb1eb5fd1d03a5.jpg

3/ In the Advanced Tab under Advanced user management click on the Advanced button

instruct-03.jpg.0cd3d55b731c17705828d74a5ee46c66.jpg

4/ When the local user manager opens, click on the Users icon on the left and this will show you all the accounts on your machine. This is a pretty standard list of what you should see.

instruct-04.jpg.60eec42ae6474e2cbfe75b4f2d710eff.jpg

You should be able to remove an account by right-clicking and delete with your account's admin privileges, but if not these are the steps to enable the built-in admin account. Be careful with what you remove here!!

Open search (or just click on the start button) and type cmd Either right-click on command prompt or click on Run as administrator in the right column.

cmd-01.jpg.1605f55d6c907bfd48890b51bf8a1353.jpg

This will open the command prompt running as administrator. To enable the built-in administrator account, type (or copy and paste from here) net user administrator /active:yes and enter. Exit cmd on completion.

cmd-02.jpg.622cde4eac4a6d8a1619abd8e3c527b9.jpg

To prove the account is enabled, open Control Panel and User Accounts

instruct-05.jpg.2d89d78d1ce2ca0bd1ad2bca94666c0a.jpg

Click on manage another account and you should see the extra Administrator account now showing

instruct-06.jpg.41570c2f1b05fede5a9186ed620bd9d2.jpg

instruct-07.jpg.2fe2d997cb27f95687e605e67720b8fa.jpg

Barry, just as a disclaimer, I have just shown you how to see what actual accounts are on your copy of W10 and how to enable the hidden system admin account. What you do with this learning curve is up to you (as they say over here).

My suggestion would be, if in your position, would be to bite the bullet and do a fresh install from an ISO from the official site. I say this because someone had already installed the OS instead of letting you do this from the factory settings.

Second option if you have a lot of third party software or a lot of data installed would be to log out of your current account and log back in using the built-in admin account. Delete your current account (but don't delete the files & settings) and create a brand new account (as Administrator). Transfer all the settings across to the new one. Log out again and log back in on the new one. Disable the system admin account ( net user administrator /active:no )

Good luck whichever way you go.....................:thumbsup:

Thanks for your time spent on this. Much appreciated. After step 3 I got the attached displayed. Wherever I look I'm shown as the only user (and Administrator), even though two ways to sign in came up on start up. That at least has been solved. I might leave it all alone or I might take your advice and do one of the two options you suggested at the end. Someone obviously decided upon themselves to set it up with a name of their own choosing. Usually when I buy I've been there when it was set up and told them what to do. I'll think about what option to take, and assume I wouldn't mess up any drivers - which would be a whole different problem.

WIN.jpg

18 hours ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Thanks for your time spent on this. Much appreciated. After step 3 I got the attached displayed. Wherever I look I'm shown as the only user (and Administrator), even though two ways to sign in came up on start up. That at least has been solved. I might leave it all alone or I might take your advice and do one of the two options you suggested at the end. Someone obviously decided upon themselves to set it up with a name of their own choosing. Usually when I buy I've been there when it was set up and told them what to do. I'll think about what option to take, and assume I wouldn't mess up any drivers - which would be a whole different problem.

WIN.jpg

Hi Barry, what version of W10 are you running? Home/Pro/Single language? My last post was based on W10 Pro which thinking about it, doesn't usually come with a new low/mid-range machine. My fault for not identifying. I haven't seen that message telling you this snap-in has been disabled. However, you should be able to get it back following these steps. (These snaps are from a W10 Pro install but should be applicable on all versions)

Windows key + R to open the run box. Type mmc.exe to open the Microsoft Management Console. Click OK.

mmc-01.jpg.9a53bce9791c9fa9130a35fb34847cab.jpg

When the console opens click on File and then Add/Remove snap-in options

mmc-02.jpg.dad0caab758f42eb48a26146d9ef59fa.jpg

When the add/remove snap-in box appears scroll down the left column and click on Local Users & Groups, click Add and then OK

mmc-03.jpg.b6ff24abfcdf9d2f69ad1cbea173be84.jpg

Save lusrmgr and exit. Windows key + R and type in lusrmgr.msc and enter.

mmc-04.jpg.d261043a0f681a2767628832c5de10f4.jpg

You should now be able to see the local users & groups.

mmc-05.jpg.10d3a1286ed159c0f43564323e258a02.jpg

As said, this should work on all versions. Again, as said, I haven't come across this snap-in being disabled before either, but I am by no means an expert on the run commands in W10.

You can reverse this, showing lusrmgr, by following steps 1 - 3, selecting in the right column and removing.

This is now educational; looking back my last post was about deleting accounts where my original intention was to enable the system admin account to change passwords! Sorry about that.

3 hours ago, chrisinth said:

Hi Barry, what version of W10 are you running? Home/Pro/Single language? My last post was based on W10 Pro which thinking about it, doesn't usually come with a new low/mid-range machine. My fault for not identifying. I haven't seen that message telling you this snap-in has been disabled. However, you should be able to get it back following these steps. (These snaps are from a W10 Pro install but should be applicable on all versions)

Windows key + R to open the run box. Type mmc.exe to open the Microsoft Management Console. Click OK.

mmc-01.jpg.9a53bce9791c9fa9130a35fb34847cab.jpg

When the console opens click on File and then Add/Remove snap-in options

mmc-02.jpg.dad0caab758f42eb48a26146d9ef59fa.jpg

When the add/remove snap-in box appears scroll down the left column and click on Local Users & Groups, click Add and then OK

mmc-03.jpg.b6ff24abfcdf9d2f69ad1cbea173be84.jpg

Save lusrmgr and exit. Windows key + R and type in lusrmgr.msc and enter.

mmc-04.jpg.d261043a0f681a2767628832c5de10f4.jpg

You should now be able to see the local users & groups.

mmc-05.jpg.10d3a1286ed159c0f43564323e258a02.jpg

As said, this should work on all versions. Again, as said, I haven't come across this snap-in being disabled before either, but I am by no means an expert on the run commands in W10.

You can reverse this, showing lusrmgr, by following steps 1 - 3, selecting in the right column and removing.

This is now educational; looking back my last post was about deleting accounts where my original intention was to enable the system admin account to change passwords! Sorry about that.

It says the snapin can't be used on this version of Win10 (which is Home), Thanks again for your time. I'm going to leave it as it is. The only thing that I can't do which I'd like to is not have to sign in. But that is no big deal and I'd probably set that up anyway when I travel. The PIN takes up a nano second of my time and I can accept that.

The convenient thing was to get rid of the double sign in option which was annoying as it came up first with one that said a password was wrong (no doubt used by the unhelpful person who set things up with bangk as the owner and user). I just can't click the box to not sign in without bringing the phantom user option back.

On 6/8/2020 at 1:32 PM, Bangkok Barry said:

Thanks. Method 3 got rid of the duplication, although when I followed the final step and unclicked the Users must enter... box and booted again I was back to square 1. So I've ticked it again and am resigned to having to use my PIN to sign in. No big hassle - the annoying part of the problem has gone. Thanks again.

As has been suggested to you a few times, I strongly advise that you simply run a clean install.

From your comments, I understand your reticence about doing this.

But allow me to set your mind at rest. With previous operating systems, you would often have to install Drivers separately. Daunting for the average user, who sometimes would resort to third party software in order to achieve the task, which could still go wrong.

The difference with Windows 10, is that in most cases, it will install all of the Drivers for you.

So instead of a week trying to sort out the issue and having to put up with a botched job, you could have taken twenty minutes(if installing to SSD) and had the laptop exactly the way that you want.

Twenty minutes. 

Don't be afraid, we can outline exactly the steps that you need to take. This is the time to do it, before you store loads of stuff on the laptop. Do not procrastinate. Do it now. ????

• Like 1