New Zealand says coronavirus 'eliminated' and life can resume without restrictions

snoop1130

9 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

You don't know that any of that would have happened. What HAS happened is that a lot of people don't have jobs anymore.

I'm guessing you believe that New Zealanders are biologically a distinct species from Homo Sapiens. Because lockdowns and such sure worked for them.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Exactly the thing that is "annoying" people losing their jobs BECAUSE of dictats imposed by said well paid and secure government minions. Up to the minions we'd still be in level 4 lockdown just because. They only backed down, IMO because the population was beginning to rebel against the restrictions.

Lost there jobs but not their lives. Now they are still alive to look for work.

Well done PM and nz

21 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Only Adhern supporters would think she did a good job. She did indeed rule by threatening severe consequences ( fear ) for not following the rules, but certain elements of NZ population were immune to law enforcement. When asked hard questions never answered.

I am not a Adhern supporter

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sujo said:

No, closing the border only stopped new virus arrivals. What happened within the country stopped the spread and isolated those with it.

Are you that angry at the world that you cannot even congratulate a country for wining the battle?

As long as hardly anyone has immunity the battle is not won. This was just the first skirmish.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2020 at 1:17 PM, stupidfarang said:

this pandemic is a first for me in my 63 years on the planet so like everyone else was in unknown territory.

However it's not the first pandemic in recent history. The way to deal with it was already known but not followed.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

As long as hardly anyone has immunity the battle is not won. This was just the first skirmish.

Which she won, so congratulations.

unless you prefer there to be a mass outbreak.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

However it's not the first pandemic in recent history. The way to deal with it was already known but not followed.

Quick, contact the experts to give them your sage advice.

Edited by Sujo
  • Haha 2

On 6/9/2020 at 6:18 AM, bodga said:

Pop.1.6  million, nothing, its  also in the middle  of  nowhere not  surrounded by other countries, there are a  whole  host of reasons its been easier for them, the Uk has 38  million tourists a  year, NZ  3.7  million

One of the nicest countries I have worked, and I worked and lived in 38 countries in 50 working years.. If I wasn't married or settled in Thailand then NZ is where I would like to live around the Taupo area on the North Island.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

They already knew it from history. it's not a secret.

They knew it from something thats never been seen before. Go figure.

They obviously have it all wrong, all of them. It is your duty to save the thousands who will die. Get at it.

13 minutes ago, Sujo said:

Same. I lived in auckland for 5 years. Taupo is very nice, until winter and the wind like ice off the lake.

I quite like the Wairarapa. Martinbourough Pinot is top shelf.

But yes, winters aren't great.

Edited by samran
  • Like 1

On 6/10/2020 at 10:44 PM, Sujo said:

No, closing the border only stopped new virus arrivals. What happened within the country stopped the spread and isolated those with it.

Are you that angry at the world that you cannot even congratulate a country for wining the battle?

TWO NEW CASES caused by GOVERNMENT INCOMPETENCE. Now tell me why I should congratulate the government, considering what a bad job they have done letting it start again after we all suffered to get rid of it?

4 hours ago, Sujo said:

They attended a funeral and had contact with 1 person. Its all under control so dont get your pants on fire.

So you think having 2 cases under control is a bad thing. I know many countries wishing they were having it so good.

Well done NZ govt, just keeps kicking goals. 

The PM certainly thinks it's a big deal. I'm guessing but you are not in NZ to know the facts about it.

On 6/9/2020 at 9:43 AM, Oliver Holzerfilled said:

That was from April 18 and the numbers were already on the decline looking at Japan's viral curve. Seems more like a scaremongering title to get hits.

Edited by vermin on arrival
  • Like 1

On 6/10/2020 at 8:02 AM, samran said:

All of this is unprecedented - true. But you can’t prove the counter factual either. 

What is well known however is that business abhors unpredictability. Now they don’t have the threat of pandemic to worry about, people are free to move around. Your borders are open to trade, and just not people. 

Will people suffer still? Sure. But now they have the best chance to get back on their feet without the threat of rolling shutdowns. 

Only if they keep their borders shut to high rick countries until a treatment or vaccine emerges. If you are lucky it's fast. If not, since there will be no herd immunity developing, NZ may be in a lot of trouble (there are number of epidemiologists who believe this policy is a mistake, but their voices are being stifled). For the moment, it is a great success story and may bear out to be long term. I do hope that they create travel bubbles with other successful nations in containing the virus.

Edited by vermin on arrival
  • Like 1

On 6/10/2020 at 8:17 AM, stupidfarang said:

A positive point is Australia and NZ are arranging a travel bubble between their two countries which is a first in the world, (good thinking OZ and NZ) now other countries are talking about travel bubbles.

That is off the table as Oz has extended it's border close to Sept 17 both in and out.

1 hour ago, vermin on arrival said:

Only if they keep their borders shut to high rick countries until a treatment or vaccine emerges. If you are lucky it's fast. If not, since there will be no herd immunity developing, NZ may be in a lot of trouble (there are number of epidemiologists who believe this policy is a mistake, but their voices are being stifled). For the moment, it is a great success story and may bear out to be long term. I do hope that they create travel bubbles with other successful nations in containing the virus.

Its uncharted territory, but if you can avoid the importation of it, then that's one less source to worry about.

I'm actually skeptical we will be getting a vaccine anytime soon. Nor for a magic bullet pill. What I suspect will happen will be some sort of combo therapy to blunt the worst effects for it. Reading in between the lines, that's whats coming first. Hopefully that and travel bubbles will be the best home for a return to some medium term normalcy. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, samran said:

I'm actually skeptical we will be getting a vaccine anytime soon. Nor for a magic bullet pill. What I suspect will happen will be some sort of combo therapy to blunt the worst effects for it.

Hopefully that and travel bubbles will be the best home for a return to some medium term normalcy. 

I also am skeptical of these magic bullets coming anytime soon and some realistic method of continuing life with sensible precautions must start first.

12 hours ago, samran said:

You're a tough audience.

You were critical of them getting it basically erradiated - your solution of keeping the economy more open would have kept the virus circulating. Now that there are two cases, its also unacceptable.

It's not the cases themselves- they were expected once the border opened as it has to a limited extent. It's the official lies and the incompetence. They were apparently not tested before being allowed into the public, and were infectious when they traveled from Auckland to Wellington by car. Lots of information coming out about how quarantine on arrival is a farce.

However, keep believing the government propaganda about how wonderful they are if it makes you happy.

The title of this op  article and the article do not agree. 

The title says  "Corona virus eliminated" in New Zealand  where the article says "transmission of the Corona Virus was eliminated in New Zealand. Two different things. 

The virus started with one person, and if all controls are eliminated it can start with one person again. 

2 hours ago, sirineou said:

The title of this op  article and the article do not agree. 

The title says  "Corona virus eliminated" in New Zealand  where the article says "transmission of the Corona Virus was eliminated in New Zealand. Two different things. 

The virus started with one person, and if all controls are eliminated it can start with one person again. 

The virus can not be eliminated now. Like flu it will be with us forever.

Community transmission was ended AT THE TIME but will undoubtedly resume once the borders do eventually open again

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It's not the cases themselves- they were expected once the border opened as it has to a limited extent. It's the official lies and the incompetence. They were apparently not tested before being allowed into the public, and were infectious when they traveled from Auckland to Wellington by car. Lots of information coming out about how quarantine on arrival is a farce.

However, keep believing the government propaganda about how wonderful they are if it makes you happy.

Yes the govt have been wonderful. Their record speaks for itself.