Domestic tourism stimulus: 3,000 baht gift card and possible "cashback" for Thais may start in July

webfact

25 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

Immigrants? Aren’t all non Thai nationals on some kind of short term stay visa, longest duration 12 months? Not really immigrants at all.

No, not all. Some are permanent residents.

29 minutes ago, wensiensheng said:

You do know that this is Thailand, right? 

you are not a Thai National, nor a permanent resident holder, why on earth would the Thai government give you money?

it is not racist anyway, it’s simply a matter of qualifying criteria and you are not the entitled, privileged person that you think you should be. I get regular cash rebates from the Singapore government, even though I don’t live there. It’s because I am Singaporean. You are not, so you don’t get it, nor do any Thai nationals.

Who said I wasn't a permanent residence holder? 

6 hours ago, jonclark said:

Oh dear. Why do you not wait for the details rather than getting all wound up over basically 300 - 600 baht cashback and a gift card that will probably at best have limited participating hotels. 

Where would be the fun in that? 

These guys are so out of touch.  When I first moved here I would ask the girls if they had been to various tourist areas in Thailand and I soon discovered many of them had not travelled one hundred kilometers outside the village.  Why?  Because it was a luxury they could not afford.  Once again this govt proves they are not representatives of the people they govern.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D00M2KZH1J0

1 hour ago, Wiggy said:

For anyone who doubts this policy is racist, just for a moment think what would happen if the government in your country tried to exclude tax paying immigrants from partaking in similar government-funded schemes? 

Americans married to immigrants without social security numbers were denied the recent covid $2400 government stimulus check.  So, not only was the tax paying immigrant excluded, so was the American tax paying spouse if they filed their taxes jointly.  

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Misterwhisper said:

Why don't these "Thai activists" rather stage protests against the racism that is a daily occurrence in their own country?  

Because they don't see it or believe they are being racist.

2 hours ago, Wiggy said:

For anyone who doubts this policy is racist, just for a moment think what would happen if the government in your country tried to exclude tax paying immigrants from partaking in similar government-funded schemes? 

Write to your MP?

The Thai one.

• Haha 1

So we - the wretched foreigners who legally reside in this country - are excluded once again?

It's not so much that we desperately need those cashbacks or a 3,000-baht gift card. But it is the principle of things. If foreigners are "allowed" to pay taxes to the Thai state, they also should benefit from this kind of promotional schemes... that are in fact co-financed through their taxes.

Anything else is blatant RACISM. Where are those "Thai activists" that just yesterday staged an "anti-racism" protest against an unfortunate incident that occurred in a country 14 flight hours away? Why don't these "Thai activists" rather stage protests against the racism that is a daily occurrence in their own country?  

I wonder how many foreigners of the hundreds of thousands here actually pay any tax to the Thai government.

I suspect as most are expats and retired they are in the vast minority.

3 hours ago, abrahamzvi said:

Can you tell us why this is racist? Isn't it normal as the government is doing this to encourage INTERNAL(DOMESTIC) tourism?

So, after living here for many years, having paid more tax than most Thai people, and often travelling domestically , I shouldn’t be entitled to this and encouraged to start travelling again?

or perhaps they just don’t want non Thai people travelling.

So we - the wretched foreigners who legally reside in this country - are excluded once again?

It's not so much that we desperately need those cashbacks or a 3,000-baht gift card. But it is the principle of things. If foreigners are "allowed" to pay taxes to the Thai state, they also should benefit from this kind of promotional schemes... that are in fact co-financed through their taxes.

Anything else is blatant RACISM. Where are those "Thai activists" that just yesterday staged an "anti-racism" protest against an unfortunate incident that occurred in a country 14 flight hours away? Why don't these "Thai activists" rather stage protests against the racism that is a daily occurrence in their own country?  

wouldn't it be nationalism? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

You do know that this is Thailand, right? 

you are not a Thai National, nor a permanent resident holder, why on earth would the Thai government give you money?

it is not racist anyway, it’s simply a matter of qualifying criteria and you are not the entitled, privileged person that you think you should be. I get regular cash rebates from the Singapore government, even though I don’t live there. It’s because I am Singaporean. You are not, so you don’t get it, nor do any Thai nationals.

You’re not getting the point, probably intentionally 

6 hours ago, BigBadGeordie said:

Yeah, terrible racist policy, a government using its own financial resources, either from taxes or loans, to support their nationals and rebuild the economy!

Dastardly indeed!

I have heard some very stupid replies to an article, but you beat them all. Please you you have half a brain what is racist about helping the people. You are worse than the democrats in America that think that everything they do not like is racist. craw back into the hole you cam e out us and leave the wonderful country.

6 hours ago, BigBadGeordie said:

Yeah, terrible racist policy, a government using its own financial resources, either from taxes or loans, to support their nationals and rebuild the economy!

Dastardly indeed!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

nationality appears to be the qualifying criteria and if you aren’t Thai, tough luck, you don’t qualify. I suggest you get over it pretty quick. If you have really been here 28 years, I’m surprised you even thought for one minute that you would entitled, or........are you just a troll

And that’s the racist bit, not sure why you can’t get that. Even if you don’t care about the racism, don’t you think it’s a bit short sighted not to include ANYONE of any nationality to travel and spend money? That IS the point of the exercise isn’t it?

3 hours ago, abrahamzvi said:

Can you tell us why this is racist? Isn't it normal as the government is doing this to encourage INTERNAL(DOMESTIC) tourism?

Well, one could argue, that domestic tourism should also include foreigners with work permit or permanent resident permit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, newnative said:

Americans married to immigrants without social security numbers were denied the recent covid $2400 government stimulus check.  So, not only was the tax paying immigrant excluded, so was the American tax paying spouse if they filed their taxes jointly.  

Surely you’re not implying there’s racism in America?

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, randy723 said:

I have heard some very stupid replies to an article, but you beat them all. Please you you have half a brain what is racist about helping the people. You are worse than the democrats in America that think that everything they do not like is racist. craw back into the hole you cam e out us and leave the wonderful country.

So angry you couldn’t even hit the right keys huh?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The purpose of the handout is to stimulate the economy and keep travel-related businesses afloat. So, it's not a cash handout to deserving Thais like the recent one. The money gets to the hotels and such if there is travel activity regardless of who shows up to use the vouchers. The vouchers could all be given to slow lorises and soi dogs if they could show up and spend them...wouldn't matter. If they get spent, they help the economy (assuming the underlying economic mechanism is working the way the government is saying). So, I'm going to come down on the side of those saying only giving it to Thai people is somewhat arbitrary. Limiting it in any way just limits who will use the vouchers thus limiting the effectiveness of the program. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1