Domestic tourism stimulus: 3,000 baht gift card and possible "cashback" for Thais may start in July

webfact

4 minutes ago, newnative said:

Yes, I got your sarcasm.   I was using my original post and your reply to comment on all the posts that have been calling Thailand's voucher scheme 'racist' because it is directed at Thai citizens.   Both the American example I gave and Thailand's vouchers discriminate against non-citizens but that doesn't mean they are racist; neither single out a specific race of non-citizens to exclude from their checks and vouchers.  I think many are too quick to call something racist when sometimes it is actually a different form of discrimination.  

Call it whatever you want then. The point is it’s wrong and short sighted

1 hour ago, GAZZPA said:

I don't think that this policy can be viewed as racist, however racism doesn't have to be specifically targeted at one race to be a racist policy. I have had the unfortunate experience of talking to someone who is racist and I can remember that he generally had a hatred for anyone who wasn't white, simple as that, he hated everyone who was not white and born in the UK. He even had a hatred for black people who were born in the UK, first second or third generation did't matter to him, to him they weren't English and that was that! So according to your definition he was not racist?

The Thai government should not limit the policy, simple as that. There is absolutely no reason to limit it except the reason that they are viewing foreigners as different...

Yes, he is a racist.  As you say, he doesn't like anyone who isn't white.  That has nothing to do with a government policy that limits a benefit to its citizens--which I find nothing wrong with.  People may view that as discrimination against non-citizens but I would not see that as racist as no single race of non-citizens has been singled out to be excluded.  Had the vouchers been made available to everyone living in Thailand except Caucasians, then that would be racist.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wiggy said:

A common definition of racist is as follows: showing or feeling discrimination or prejudice against people of other races

Yes, I do believe I'm entitled as I've been paying income tax here for 28 years.

No, I won't say it's racist not to include me in their pension system as I am included in their pension system.

No, it's not racist that I'm not in the handout system as I have not been laid off.

It´s not racist. Ok you are included in the pension system. Then you surely know that it sucks? hohohohoho!

However, you are not a citizen. The domestic travel is made for citizens of the country. If you had money enough to travel to and also live in a foreign country, you surely not need for travel around.

I am just sad that you feel so entitled. To what? They already give you pension for working. You are not a citizen. Therefore not same right as the people of this country. Just get it.

Ohhh! I have been working here. Yeah you probably did that because you wanted or because it gave you a good salury and a better position in life. Now you want more and complain. Shameful!

37 minutes ago, bipper said:

Oh for Christ sake every country does it. Buy Irish has been around since I was a kid EU and before.

Oh right, so drink driving is OK as it’s been around for ages. Don’t be afraid of change. 

27 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

It´s not racist. Ok you are included in the pension system. Then you surely know that it sucks? hohohohoho!

However, you are not a citizen. The domestic travel is made for citizens of the country. If you had money enough to travel to and also live in a foreign country, you surely not need for travel around.

I am just sad that you feel so entitled. To what? They already give you pension for working. You are not a citizen. Therefore not same right as the people of this country. Just get it.

Ohhh! I have been working here. Yeah you probably did that because you wanted or because it gave you a good salury and a better position in life. Now you want more and complain. Shameful!

I apologise for believing that equality is a good thing. 

6 hours ago, randy723 said:

I have heard some very stupid replies to an article, but you beat them all. Please you you have half a brain what is racist about helping the people. You are worse than the democrats in America that think that everything they do not like is racist. craw back into the hole you cam e out us and leave the wonderful country.

I take it you have no understanding of saecasm?

5 hours ago, bipper said:

Oh for Christ sake every country does it. Buy Irish has been around since I was a kid EU and before.

what you mean "buy Irish?" do you mean an advertisement promoting Irish product? if you do that's not the same thing at all is it..????

5 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Goodness me, this is not a racist issue, so many people are quick to jump on that bandwagon, I wish people would just stop. The article is about incentives for people to boost domestic travel, thats it...

I personally think that they should incentivise everyone, deliberately excluding locals who are not Thai sends a pretty bad message, It is not about entitlement, this is not about claiming welfare in a foreign country. So forget all the other stuff, just answer this,, for what reason do they exclude locals who are not native? 

5 hours ago, newnative said:

Yes, he is a racist.  As you say, he doesn't like anyone who isn't white.  That has nothing to do with a government policy that limits a benefit to its citizens--which I find nothing wrong with.  People may view that as discrimination against non-citizens but I would not see that as racist as no single race of non-citizens has been singled out to be excluded.  Had the vouchers been made available to everyone living in Thailand except Caucasians, then that would be racist.  

i wasn't suggesting this was a racist issue, for goodness sake. I was stating the opposite. However I do think it is a mistake to exclude residents who are not Thai, why would you do that?

7 hours ago, Traubert said:

So sue them.

The headlines say 'possible' cashback that 'may' be paid but maybe they'll decide that some turnip-head farang will decide to kick off and they wont do it therefore thanks for depriving the hardworking Thais of a much needed holiday.

(With reference to the Farang Guilt Trip Manual page 2.)

thats a racist comment for all farangs who have turnips for heads.

7 hours ago, GlassWayOverHalfFull said:

Are you joking? Are you a Thai Citizen?

Would you expect money from other peoples Governments? 

Yes, this is not claiming welfare or housing benefit, then the answer would be no of course. This is an incentive scheme for boosting domestic tourism,, why do you think they exclude resident foreigners?

11 hours ago, micmichd said:

Do Farangs grant subsidiaries to Thai tourists in the West? No. 

So why should Thailand pamper Farangs? 

of course they do. In my country if there are any "voucher" kind of deals to boost trade they are available to absolutely everyone, I have never, ever seen "for locals only". The only thing foreigners cant do is claim welfare stuff (unless they are legally in the country permanently). 

6 hours ago, Wiggy said:

I apologise for believing that equality is a good thing. 

You want equality?

You want to share all the joys, all the miseries of Thai citizens?

You want a cheap holiday on the Thai state?

Then do what this Caucasian (I'm guessing you're also of the Caucasian race) did.  He's still a different race to most Thais (they are mostly Mongoloid race) but now he's one of them, a Thai citizen.  He's not one of you......I'm guessing a UK citizen?  Now he gets all the things (including the cheap holiday) that you think you're entitled to, and he's a different race to the vast majority of his fellow Thais:

The scheme is nothing to do with race, he's still Caucasian, it's all about nationality/citizenship.

It's a nationality thing, not a race thing.

You want to get what they get?

Get the passport and you get all the rest.

Otherwise, and I'm sure you've read something like this before, you're just a paying, long term visitor, to a very large theme park called "Thailand".

PS. Take a bit of time to find out the difference between Race and Nationality.......and Ethnicity while you're at it.

Edited by Enoon

22 hours ago, webfact said:

The scheme is likely to take the form of a 3,000 baht gift card that can be used at places like hotels and restaurants.

A bit like the last "eat, shop, spend" stimulus package, as soon as the promotion stopped so did the Thais !

Why don't they tell hotels, restaurants etc etc to promote prices that will attract local travel.

Why do they insist on keeping inflated prices then asking the government to subsidise the travel?

3 hours ago, GAZZPA said:

Goodness me, this is not a racist issue, so many people are quick to jump on that bandwagon, I wish people would just stop. The article is about incentives for people to boost domestic travel, thats it...

I personally think that they should incentivise everyone, deliberately excluding locals who are not Thai sends a pretty bad message, It is not about entitlement, this is not about claiming welfare in a foreign country. So forget all the other stuff, just answer this,, for what reason do they exclude locals who are not native? 

They exclude locals because they are not locals. To be a local you must be a citizen.

Edited by Matzzon

1 minute ago, Matzzon said:

They exclude locals because they are not locals. To be a local you must be a citizen.

I said why? Why have they chosen to exclude resident foreigners?

I've been here over 14 years mostly every day. 

I have no home in any other country. I spend all my money here, in essence. 

If local means Thai blood, I am not local; but if it means a citizen of Thailand, I am. 

Unless this program is amended, it's discriminatory. Period. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

I said why? Why have they chosen to exclude resident foreigners?

No, you said:

17 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

for what reason do they exclude locals who are not native?

Anyway, being a local is considered to be a citizen, while being a resident can´t. A non-citizen can never be a local. There is your answer. If it´s over what you can melt or grasp that´s one thing. It´s still the reason why they not give you a check of 3k baht.

Fairly sure you will survive without it. Probably just felt the need to complain over Thailand a bit. You know, the country you have been living in for so long.

Edited by Matzzon

8 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

If local means Thai blood, I am not local; but if it means a citizen of Thailand, I am. 

If you are a citizen of Thailand, then you have applied for citizenship and if approved been awarded Thai nationality. Then you are a Thai, and are eligible. Nothing to worry about.

If you just believe you are na Thai citizen for staying long, or consider yourself as one? What can I say? Then you are wrong.

I´ve been living in Thailand for around 22-23 years. I am no citizen.

No it is not discriminatory, because you have to be a citizen. Have Thai nationality to be able to get som services and discounts. It´s same in every country in the world. Period!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Trujillo said:

So you have been here mostly everyday for 14 years, why have you not sorted out your Thai Citizenship ?

"Have (sic) Thai nationality to be able to get som (sic) services and discounts. It´s (sic) same in every country in the world. Period!"

Please give me some real-life examples. You don't need to give me an example from every country in the world, but a few will do, thanks. 

6 hours ago, GAZZPA said:

i wasn't suggesting this was a racist issue, for goodness sake. I was stating the opposite. However I do think it is a mistake to exclude residents who are not Thai, why would you do that?

Nice at least one other person besides me doesn't see this as a racist issue.  Why Thailand would limit its handout to its citizens likely comes down to money.  With limited resources, it is focusing its resources on its citizens.  I see nothing wrong with that and it never entered my mind that I, as a foreigner, would be eligible for a Thai government handout.  

• Like 1

On 6/9/2020 at 9:00 AM, jonclark said:

Oh dear. Why do you not wait for the details rather than getting all wound up over basically 300 - 600 baht cashback and a gift card that will probably at best have limited participating hotels. 

On 6/9/2020 at 9:00 AM, jonclark said:

Oh dear. Why do you not wait for the details rather than getting all wound up over basically 300 - 600 baht cashback and a gift card that will probably at best have limited participating hotels. 

Because it is clearly stated that it is for Thais in the article. Maybe you should read it.

6 minutes ago, newnative said:

Nice at least one other person besides me doesn't see this as a racist issue.  Why Thailand would limit its handout to its citizens likely comes down to money.  With limited resources, it is focusing its resources on its citizens.  I see nothing wrong with that and it never entered my mind that I, as a foreigner, would be eligible for a Thai government handout.  

I agree, and I'd wager it also never entered the minds of those putting this scheme together to include non-citizens for a nano-second. Why would they?

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, 5633572526 said:

Actually encouraging Thai only domestic tourism.

Not true.  The vouchers are for Thai citizens, correct, but Thailand's tourism agency has partnered with Thai Visa to start the Expat Explore program that has been offering discounts to expats for trips to various areas of Thailand.  There are usually a couple of them featured on every Thai Visa news report I get in my email.