Hospitals instructed to test all admitted patients for virus

webfact

5 hours ago, bodga said:

and  today  WHO  said  these (asymptomatic) carriers often  dont  spread  it.

As reported on CNN this am by a representative of WHO or some US medical research outfit - I didn't quite catch the full tag - it was stronger than that: "appears to be quite rare" were the words that stuck in my mind.

7 minutes ago, SantiSuk said:

As reported on CNN this am by a representative of WHO or some US medical research outfit - I didn't quite catch the full tag - it was stronger than that: "appears to be quite rare" were the words that stuck in my mind.

Yes, seems the main driver of a lot the social distancing and lockdowns that one should beware of asymptomatic and presymptomatic people is in fact incorrect.

“We have a number of reports from countries who are doing very detailed contact tracing,” she said. “They’re following asymptomatic cases. They’re following contacts. And they’re not finding secondary transmission onward. It’s very rare.”

“What we really want to be focused on is following the symptomatic cases,” Van Kerkhove said. “If we actually followed all of the symptomatic cases, isolated those cases, followed the contacts and quarantined those contacts, we would drastically reduce” the outbreak.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/08/asymptomatic-coronavirus-patients-arent-spreading-new-infections-who-says.html

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Lemonltr said:

Don't concern yourself. Help is at hand. They have discovered evidence of the covid 19 virus in faeces. 

So what they shove that 4" Q-tip up your bum...well not on my watch they will not...

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Public Health Ministry permanent secretary Sukhum Karnchanapimai sent a letter yesterday (June 8 ) to hospitals nationwide instructing them to test all admitted patients for Covid-19.

So test then what?

Wait for the test results before being admitted?

20 hours ago, redwood1 said:

When they say they will test all admitted patents do they mean any time anyone sees a doctor for anything at all or do they mean when you are a patent in the hospital?

Admitted = impatient at the hospital. Not outpatient cases.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

Cheapest test I've seen is about 6K. Who pays? 

I'm not a teacher now, but I know teachers have to go to the hospital before they get their work permit.  I would guess 90% of schools aren't going to pay this.  Let's say you are a non-native, salary at 20000.  6000 divided by 20000 seems like a lot.  30%.  gone.  oh, you went to Laos to get your Non-B......test again!!!  i'm kidding, i don't know that.  

I'm surprised it's this low.  I was thinking 15000 for the farangs.  

edit:   OK, not outpatient.

well, anyhow, i would not be surprised if teachers must get tested.  

Edited by Ventenio

I am pretty surprised by the whiners and whingers posting on this report. I'm surprised that it hasn't already been a requirement, but I'm sure cost, available test kits, permissions and a lot of other factors went into this decision. Better late than never.

After all if Gov. Cuomo can take it, you can take it. Did you see the size of his cotton nose swab? ????

Edited by AgMech Cowboy

22 hours ago, smedly said:

good idea - start testing when the chance of actually finding anyone infected are slim, they have either died of viral pneumonia or recovered

How about publishing Thailands deaths over the last 5 months - likely unrecorded or known let alone the diagnosis 

and for those that want to criticize my post - produce the figures first 

not criticizing
but you do know the the RT-PCR tests that they use to test for covid
are not even covid specific

Even the inventor of the RT-PCR test
Kary Mullis has stated the test is not suitable for such use of detecting specific viruses

sadly, the 1 man on the planet that could undeniably state the test is unsuitable for covid testing,
died (conveniently) just a few months ago last August.

This is also from the CDC

rt-pcr_test.png.80cd13cf8d1c64f1fd154c0dc2b2dff8.png

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, innosiem said:

not criticizing
but you do know the the RT-PCR tests that they use to test for covid
are not even covid specific

Even the inventor of the RT-PCR test
Kary Mullis has stated the test is not suitable for such use of detecting specific viruses

sadly, the 1 man on the planet that could undeniably state the test is unsuitable for covid testing,
died (conveniently) just a few months ago last August.

This is also from the CDC

rt-pcr_test.png.80cd13cf8d1c64f1fd154c0dc2b2dff8.png

https://sciencefeedback.co/claimreview/pcr-tests-for-covid-19-are-specific-for-the-novel-coronavirus-sars-cov-2-and-do-not-detect-other-coronaviruses-contrary-to-claims-in-viral-article-and-video/

Thanks to the efforts of scientists, we now know the full genome of SARS-CoV-2[1], which makes it possible to design specific primers for the virus that recognize unique segments of nucleic acid sequences and do not anneal to those found in other coronaviruses. Furthermore, primer annealing to the target sequence is necessary to start PCR amplification. If the primers do not match a nucleic acid sequence—for example in the case of a different coronavirus—then PCR amplification of that mismatched sequence cannot occur. In short, the claim that the test for COVID-19 detects “any strain of coronavirus” is false and unfounded.

Edited by smedly

23 minutes ago, smedly said:

https://sciencefeedback.co/claimreview/pcr-tests-for-covid-19-are-specific-for-the-novel-coronavirus-sars-cov-2-and-do-not-detect-other-coronaviruses-contrary-to-claims-in-viral-article-and-video/

Thanks to the efforts of scientists, we now know the full genome of SARS-CoV-2[1], which makes it possible to design specific primers for the virus that recognize unique segments of nucleic acid sequences and do not anneal to those found in other coronaviruses. Furthermore, primer annealing to the target sequence is necessary to start PCR amplification. If the primers do not match a nucleic acid sequence—for example in the case of a different coronavirus—then PCR amplification of that mismatched sequence cannot occur. In short, the claim that the test for COVID-19 detects “any strain of coronavirus” is false and unfounded.

yes i have seen these "fact check" sites publish such.......
(you only need look at snopes to see how reliable or unreliable so called "fact check" sites are)

Yet the test was produced years before covid and is not viral specific according to its creator
(sorry not got time to find link)

and even the CDC state
"Positive results do NOT rule out bacterial infections or co-infection with other viruses"

"Molecular assays, such as RT-PCR, are designed to accurately identify influenza A and B viral RNA or nucleic acids by using conserved gene targets. Some assays will detect influenza A or B viruses but will not determine the influenza A virus subtype, and thus will not be able to indicate if the infection is due to a novel influenza A virus. Novel influenza A viruses are antigenically and genetically distinct from currently circulating seasonal influenza A viruses among humans and usually represent zoonotic transmission from avian or swine species to humans."
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/professionals/diagnosis/molecular-assays.htm

15 minutes ago, innosiem said:

yes i have seen these "fact check" sites publish such.......
(you only need look at snopes to see how reliable or unreliable so called "fact check" sites are)

Yet the test was produced years before covid and is not viral specific according to its creator
(sorry not got time to find link)

and even the CDC state
"Positive results do NOT rule out bacterial infections or co-infection with other viruses"

"Molecular assays, such as RT-PCR, are designed to accurately identify influenza A and B viral RNA or nucleic acids by using conserved gene targets. Some assays will detect influenza A or B viruses but will not determine the influenza A virus subtype, and thus will not be able to indicate if the infection is due to a novel influenza A virus. Novel influenza A viruses are antigenically and genetically distinct from currently circulating seasonal influenza A viruses among humans and usually represent zoonotic transmission from avian or swine species to humans."
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/professionals/diagnosis/molecular-assays.htm

modern PCR tests are specific to single viruses - fact

provided the specific gnome is known

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Curt1591 said:

Cheapest test I've seen is about 6K. Who pays? 

It's probably the new saliva test, which should be a lot cheaper and faster than PCR. Seems to be the one Thailand is rolling out for mass testing. It's a good thing, if the test actually works. 

On 6/9/2020 at 2:14 PM, redwood1 said:

Its called the PCR test........They ram that long Q-tip into your nose till it just about reaches your lower brain......It can be painful...Its main purpose I think is to demoralize the person getting the test....

I will never get this jammed into my nasal passages....

Another good reason to avoid visiting a hospital at this time. I've already told all my family members do NOT go near a hospital unless you're literally about to die, for the foreseeable future.

Not that I've needed to for several years, but just saying.

From what I've heard, during the current night time curfew, many Thais who are having urgent medical issues are too scared to leave home for fear of being arrested. They tough it out until the curfew time is over and go then instead.

Edited by drbeach

On 6/9/2020 at 1:11 PM, smedly said:

good idea - start testing when the chance of actually finding anyone infected are slim, they have either died of viral pneumonia or recovered

How about publishing Thailands deaths over the last 5 months - likely unrecorded or known let alone the diagnosis 

and for those that want to criticize my post - produce the figures first 

The onus is on YOU. Yoo are the one making (wild) assertions. I bet you have NOTHING. 

37 minutes ago, drbeach said:

Another good reason to avoid visiting a hospital at this time. I've already told all my family members do NOT go near a hospital unless you're literally about to die, for the foreseeable future.

Not that I've needed to for several years, but just saying.

From what I've heard, during the current night time curfew, many Thais who are having urgent medical issues are too scared to leave home for fear of being arrested. They tough it out until the curfew time is over and go then instead.

I'm sure there isn't a pervasive fear of going to or being in a hospital in the country in a way that would skew the screening and reporting process for Covid 19 infections, though. 

2 minutes ago, DavisH said:

The onus is on YOU. Yoo are the one making (wild) assertions. I bet you have NOTHING. 

Asserting that cases here seem to be under-reported isn't too wild taken in the context of so many being reported everywhere else in the world (other than China). 

The NYT thought this was the case and made a calculation...

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/04/21/world/coronavirus-missing-deaths.html

On 6/9/2020 at 7:01 PM, SantiSuk said:

Research from China also suggests that. From 300 asymptomatic carriers (from about 9.6million tested) they could find no trace of virus on the utensils they used nor the masks they were wearing. Thses are truly asymptomatic carriers who never show any symptoms. Not even a sniffle. 

On 6/9/2020 at 12:30 AM, YetAnother said:

typical thai; how can that work ? doesnt it require an onsite lab ? does he think small cities' hospitals have that ? and the expertise to do it properly ? more foolishness from the top

May be they have to send the specimen to labs if not available. Lack of reading comprehension of posters here is mind boggling. 

On 6/9/2020 at 9:14 AM, redwood1 said:

Its called the PCR test........They ram that long Q-tip into your nose till it just about reaches your lower brain......It can be painful...Its main purpose I think is to demoralize the person getting the test....

I will never get this jammed into my nasal passages....

It is called a nasopharyngeal swab. Although the doctor told me that it may hurt a little, all I felt was a tickling sensation.

On 6/9/2020 at 1:45 PM, bodga said:

and  today  WHO  said  these carriers often  dont  spread  it.

Well, they said that everyone gets symptoms, however mild, but it can still be spread before symptoms are recognized.  

1 hour ago, JCP108 said:
7 hours ago, yourauntbob said:

Need to get those numbers up, otherwise there will be no excuse for keeping people imprisoned in their homes

It will happen.

IT WILL HAPPEN! Cue my James Earl Jones / Darth Vader voice synthesizer.

Edited by SkyFax
  • Like 1