Curfew may go in fourth phase of easing lockdown

webfact

2 minutes ago, fraggleRock said:

Same same here, I just see no future for my kids in Asia, its collapsed.  At least the schools in Singapore and Indonesia are ok but in Thailand they are just plain horrid.... over priced with a very poor command of English, and do no teaching of history apart from Thai brainwashing ..... The only smart people in Thailand sad to say received there education either in Oz, UK or USA ... and are global thinkers and smart.... great to work with, and have funky accents and in my business above all able to articulate difficult subjects with such ease ...the rest (99.9%) wear orange vests or drive pink taxis and throw virtual daggers in ‘Farangs’ backs... sounds harsh but its my observation of being here for so many years in Bangkok City... It blows my mind the poor standards here now which is getter worse.... ‘Its Thailand, you need speak Thai’ A language that does not benefit me beyond the border... and local dialects differ... just look around... Malaysia, Indonesia, Singapore, Philippines etc.. even Cambodian folks spoke pretty good English as did Vietnam... this place is not the centre of the universe... They say you cannot polish a turd! Well I don’t think its polished here it has just been rolled in glitter, the core is still a turd.

Good post overall, but I have no problem adapting to the local culture by learning the local lingo, which I have managed to do. You can gain a tremendous amount of insights into the culture when you can speak the language as opposed to relying on English. This is as true in Cambodia, Vietnam and Indonesia as in Thailand. In Cambodia, English is spoken well only in areas popular with tourists. In the countryside it's as difficult to find a competent English speaker as in Thailand. In Vietnam it's even more difficult - go somewhere where few foreigners venture and the locals start staring at you like you're an alien from outer space. Not sure where they get that mindset from, but it's the same as in China. Thais, even in remote areas never stare at foreigners like that.

Anyway, Thailand is alright and no worse than neighboring countries when it comes to attitudes toward foreigners. It's just that some expats become jaded after living here a while and literally think any place is better than Thailand when that's far from being the case.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My 8yo son goes to Thai government school and has a perfect command of English.

My 22yo step-daughter goes to Thai government University (after government high school) and has a perfect command of English.

Although not attending currently as everywhere is closed.

Because your kids have benefited by way of the command being your  ‘mother’ tongue... as is my son and daughter... from me and my Thai wife! They speak 5 languages including complex visual text from Japanese to Danish! This is not a racist post, its fact! 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, JCP108 said:

In Ladprao 90% wear masks in concentrated areas like night markets. In my large neighborhood, about 5-10% wear masks and mostly on their chins. No distancing. Temp screen tables gone at two nearest night markets. Never had one at the morning market. 7-11s still checking temps but not doing scan/sign-ins. Went to HomePro today and the attached restaurant no longer making people sit apart. Multiple people at tables. 

To cut a long story short. I have the feeling that the fight against Corona will be over next Monday at least here in Thailand. I don't have to earn money here. So up to them. Not really - in the worst case I might become a Corona victim. But does anyone care. They really did a lot. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Without going off topic...Rather than start new topic...I'm currently on island (no face masks). I struggle breathe with them.

What's current go in bkk. Can I go for walk without face mask, then put one on when enter 7/11 etc?

Well, we live in central BKK, near Central World.  We can walk around outside without a mask, no problem, and many do so.  Maybe 20% (and increasing) outside either have no mask or it pulled down. You see both Thais and farangs without masks, but a higher percentage of farangs -- the ladies selling at Erawan Shrine are rarely wearing masks, harass us to buy as we walk past.  We often walk by police (mostly thye are in masks) and they have never insisted we put on masks. Most wear masks on the skywalk from Chidlom to Siam, but we don't unless it is crowded.  It has always been idiotic to require masks outside anyway, it's almost impossible to pass the virus that way unless in a big crowd, face to face (who does that anyway?)

Inside malls and shops is totally different, 100% masks worn except restos and cafes -- we often hang out at Starbucks for a couple of hours and enjoy breathing without masks on. No masks necessary at our condo pool, but that varies.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

And just to say that restaurants (that will serve alcohol will open (if they haven’t already) who is to say they will. They may just wait until tourists return, like some hotels. Do you think the expat community will be enough to keep bars from going under? I suppose only time will tell. But personally I cannot wait to go out to have a good feed and wash it down with a vino or two. 

11 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

They might be open on Monday

Yes, that is what I am hearing, some bars getting ready for it.

15 June  bars open, although there have been bars open throughout.

2 minutes ago, seasia said:

Really, there have been bars open ? Where ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, seasia said:

And this is how a rumor arises

No. the bars are not allowed to reopen yet

maybe mi july, after the reopen of the school and the ''songkran'' 

but nothing sure yet and nothing is decided about the exact date for reopen of the bars

Yes few bars are discretly open since weeks

i don't give the location here on a public forum

as it could be a visit  from the police as a result for them

with a closure and a big fine. They don't deserve it, they just try 

to survive doing some money to pay the rent

• Like 1

Oooooh yes, keep em locked down, destroy all the nightlife, then we can have military parades and marching bands, maybe even sell pathetic silly uniforms so we all look important........ Please, someone put this lot out of their misery...... and ours...... Time to move on......... 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, steven100 said:

doesn't matter where ... bars may be open from June 15 as per today's government announcement.

I think taxin wanted to know which were open now so they could go before the 15th.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Given the number of cases from returning Thai nationals in quarantine, I agree that opening international flights is begging for disaster, but does he really think anyone believes his rationale for keeping the country in a state of emergency? There is not another country in the world with a normal government who would seek to keep such control with zero local cases.

Maybe stop Thai Nationals from re-entering Th. ????? 55555555 LOL

• Haha 1

On 6/10/2020 at 12:54 PM, petedk said:

Just heard (I think it's official) that you will now be allowed to drink alcohol in restaurants.

While wrapped up in clingfilm

Edited by Jiggo
?
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

As in Line? Or FB? or Tinder? Or? thanks.

Tinder and Thai friendly 

And some Badoo.

And I have collected a lot of line contacts from before the zombie apocalypse. 

Edited by NCC1701A

10 hours ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Living the dream, eh!

Beats staring at the walls, mind-numbing TV, messing with katoeys and bargirls or watching the buffalo hump on the farm.  What do you do for excitement now?

• Haha 1