Once a Thai, always a Thai, specifies charter court

webfact

Once a Thai, always a Thai, specifies charter court

By THE NATION

800_bbf9a462529e998.jpg?v=1591861369

No Thai national can be thrown out of the country or stopped from returning home, nor can their nationality acquired by birth be revoked, said an announcement in the Royal Gazette website on Wednesday (June 10).

The announcement, signed by Constitutional Court’s secretary-general Chaowana Traimas and released on May 28, cited the court’s ruling dated May 21 that said exiling a Thai national or prohibiting them from returning to the Kingdom is not allowed as per Article 39 Paragraph 1 of the Constitution.

The article also says that the revocation of a Thai person’s nationality acquired at birth is not permitted.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30389449

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-06-11

But what the OP article doesn't seem to touch on is the authority/ability of the government to revoke a person's passport for various reasons.

Doing so doesn't revoke their Thai citizenship, but it surely infringes on their ability to travel.   I've never understand that citizens of various countries have any kind of automatic right to be issued a passport.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

But what the OP article doesn't seem to touch on is the authority/ability of the government to revoke a person's passport for various reasons.

Doing so doesn't revoke their Thai citizenship, but it surely infringes on their ability to travel.   .

Not a problem if the citizen in question holds other citizenships/passports as well.

They carry on using those to travel the rest of the world.

And even into Thailand if they want.

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, samsensam said:

there is clearly more to this, frankly left field announcement, than meets the eye. unfortunately either due to the lack of freedom of the press/speech or the inability of a thai 'journalist' to ask relevant questions, AKA doing their job, we'll remain, for now, in the dark.

Maybe, maybe not. Section 22 of the nationality act has the potential -  some would argue - to be misinterpreted. The ruling only confirms the military’s own constitution which states natural born Thais can’t have their nationality involuntary taken away from them. 

9 hours ago, samsensam said:

there is clearly more to this, frankly left field announcement, than meets the eye. unfortunately either due to the lack of freedom of the press/speech or the inability of a thai 'journalist' to ask relevant questions, AKA doing their job, we'll remain, for now, in the dark.

Yes, it would be nice to know who / which government agency sought the ruling from the Constitution Court and the reasons cited. This should be on the public record but it seems journalists here are either too lazy or intimidated to follow up.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, samran said:

natural born Thais can’t have their nationality involuntary taken away from them. 

My daughter was born in Sri Racha, but she was never a Thai citizen because my name was on the Birth Certificate.

That was a while ago now she's very happy as a 'bush' Aussie.

• Like 2

but you can give it up , if you want to, once an adult

but will cost money, what else...

meanwhile as good as no farang get ever get this nationality, to have a quiet & peaceful life without all the IO interference, not forgetting the rogue IO's that love those brown envenlopes and make it difficult to impossible to get your extension for 1900 baht

speaking out of experience...

aka IO demanding to see original CHANOTE from owner ... asking owner to come to IO, etc...

where is that written on the very faulty IO website

57 minutes ago, Chassa said:

My daughter was born in Sri Racha, but she was never a Thai citizen because my name was on the Birth Certificate.

Depends how long ago - being a woman married to a foreigner generally meant that pre 1992. The rules have changed and as it stands your daughter is a natural born Thai. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Enoon said:

Not a problem if the citizen in question holds other citizenships/passports as well.

They carry on using those to travel the rest of the world.

And even into Thailand if they want.

Holders of foreign passports here constantly complain about getting and extending visas for Thailand. That does represent a problem of more or less significance compared to needing no visa or extension. 

Then there are the citizens who have no other citizenship/passports, the vast majority.

18 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That wasn't relevant for the issue under consideration, so that makes sense.

18 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I've never understand that citizens of various countries have any kind of automatic right to be issued a passport.

The court doesn't need to rule on a non-issue. If that right were written into the Constitution, it'd be different.

9 minutes ago, otherstuff1957 said:

What are the implications for male Luk Krungs?  Does this mean that they will all have to take part in the military lottery at age 20?

They've always been obligated to living in Thailand, unless they've been exempted having done the Ror Dor.

20 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

The respecting article has not been touched as far as I know.

So a bit surprising that it needs emphasis in the Royal Gazette.

I smells a bit like the rulers had the idea to revoke Thai nationality of a most hatred/feared person in exile.

And another even more important person intervened?

That's Self Exile They can come back Whenever they like. They Will get a Free Welcome committee and a free ride to a nearby Government Guest house To spent their Time that was Promised by One Government Official. :wai:

• Sad 2

15 minutes ago, briansbiology said:

great! assuming this extends to leuk-krung with dual citizenship. I.e they will no longer have to choose as Thai nationality is irreversible...right? lol

No one has ever 'had' to chose. It was always voluntary.

a Thai national may have the right to return...

but the means to return can be easily taken away at times, like this virus panic...

you can have the money to buy a plane ticket, but if the borders and airports are locked down, makes little to no difference to your situation.

see the Russians in Phuket,

or the Nigerians stuck in a morbid way at the airport transit in Bkk....

no one take their nationalities away...

6 hours ago, Chassa said:

If her birth mother held Thai nationality then her daughter would be able to claim Thai nationality.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/11/2020 at 3:08 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Doing so doesn't revoke their Thai citizenship, but it surely infringes on their ability to travel.   I've never understand that citizens of various countries have any kind of automatic right to be issued a passport.

Why do people keep referring to the Old Person (OP)?