Pattaya: TAT say Thais are increasingly visiting - 10% up to 40% - despite the more expensive food and hotels

webfact

On 6/12/2020 at 8:52 AM, webfact said:

In the last two or three years the number of Thais in Pattaya was just 10% of the total - now it is 40%, said Pinnart Charoenphon

Juggling numbers again in % terms... up 40%

what's 40% up on sod all?

17 hours ago, Pilotman said:

I see on your profile, or more acculturate, don't see, that you have any connection with the place at all. I at least do live within 40km of it, so know enough to know my own  mind.   Perhaps you just read about it, like in a travel book?  

I live in Pattaya and been living in Pattaya for years. Yep, I see all those Thai tourists frequently, esp. flooding in on weekends, holidays, and for festivals. So what TAT says in this case is in fact pretty accurate. Sorry; it makes a difference when you know what you're talking about. ????

16 hours ago, Leaver said:

Big money in Sangsom and som tum.  Domestic Thai tourism will support the Pattaya economy during this international tourism void.  ????

The article says nothing whatsoever about "supporting the Pattaya economy" or imply any such thing, as you well know in constructing the usual straw man. It also made mention of the lack of international tourists.

Money from most sorts of tourism is welcome now, whether spent for Sangsom and som tum or baked beans on toast and a bottle of Chang quaffed in front of a 7/11.

Edited by BigStar

17 hours ago, kidneyw said:

Maybe that is why they got the numbers inflated.

How do you know that wasn't a pic of one of the several Pattaya beaches and that the numbers are inflated? Or is this just bash for having a bash?

Edited by BigStar

2 hours ago, BigStar said:

The article says nothing whatsoever about "supporting the Pattaya economy" or imply any such thing, as you well know in constructing the usual straw man. It also made mention of the lack of international tourists.

Money from most sorts of tourism is welcome now, whether spent for Sangsom and som tum or baked beans on toast and a bottle of Chang quaffed in front of a 7/11.

With domestic tourism, at least the money stays in Thailand, not like zero baht Chinese tourism, using Chinese owned companies, with the money repatriated back to China, or the profits from the package holiday remaining in China. 

• Like 1

Quite surprised that there is some truth about it.  May be not about the percentage, which is not obvious to gauge. 

June 1, Monday was the first re-opening of the beach here, not a busy day while I was swimming.   June 3,  Wednesday was the Queen's Birthday, there was a crowd there.  

June 7, the first Sunday after re-opening it was very busy at the beach in Jomtien.  This is understandable.    And today June 13 Saturday,  I was surprised by so many Thai kids playing water while I had my daily swim just two hours ago. 

• Like 1

What she meant was instead of 2 local tourists to Pattaya there are now 4.

lets face it the only "local tourists" are the ones who pop here from Bangkok and around for the day to go to terminal 21 or have a picnic on the beach

Edited by bert bloggs

19 hours ago, Leaver said:

With domestic tourism, at least the money stays in Thailand

You've made a true statement. ????

not like zero baht Chinese tourism, using Chinese owned companies, with the money repatriated back to China, or the profits from the package holiday remaining in China. 

A central myth of TVF Poster Economics ????, repeated endlessly in the echo chamber to bash Chinese, whom we don't like. Zero baht tourism was outlawed several years ago and the regulation is being enforced, as you'll discover if you did the research. 

Some profits from the travel of all international tourists will inevitably go to foreign companies of course. Nothing surprising or in the least unusual there. It's only an "issue" for TVF posters, and only with regards to Chinese tourists, no others. Laughable, really.

Edited by BigStar

18 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

lets face it the only "local tourists" are the ones who pop here from Bangkok and around for the day to go to terminal 21 or have a picnic on the beach

No, some stay overnight, as she noted. Why should you worry about where and how they spend? It's a Thai town and Thai custom is welcome, esp nowadays. I guess our problem is that since TVF Economics refuses to recognize domestic tourism, we've just got to try to find ways to dismiss whatever TAT says about it.

On 6/12/2020 at 8:52 AM, webfact said:

She said that the average Thai spends 700-800 baht a day when not staying overnight; if they do stay it goes up to 1,600 to 1,700 baht. The good news was that more Thais are starting to travel now. 

Point simply is, domestic Thai tourism doesn't inject much money into the local Pattaya economy. 

That point doesn't follow logically from the bigoted speculation about what you think the majority of Thais are spending on. The article clearly stated the average usual spend by Thai tourists. "Much" is relative but it is in fact a significant amount of money coming in steadily and pretty reliably, it's welcome, and it does help support vendors of various types catering to the large Thai market in Pattaya. Some of those vendors also cater to the international market.

So, it's a good thing that domestic tourists are starting to return now, as verified by several posters here. I saw quite a few out myself yesterday.

Edited by BigStar

1 minute ago, KhunKenAP said:

To work for TAT requires being able to dream up fake news statistics and say them with a straight face. Can we report this to the office of Fake News? 

Could we then report you for making a Fake report?

21 hours ago, BigStar said:

A central myth of TVF Poster Economics

Wrong.

Some profits from the travel of all international tourists will inevitably go to foreign companies of course. Nothing surprising or in the least unusual there. It's only an "issue" for TVF posters, and only with regards to Chinese tourists, no others.

Correct, and with the Chinese now making up the majority of the tourists to Pattaya, that means the majority of "some profits" go back to China, as I stated. 

The only question is, what percent of TOTAL profits is "some profits?"   Given the Chinese set up companies using Thai nominees, and buy up assets such as boats and buses, I would suggest the percentage is higher than many think.  

That point doesn't follow logically from the bigoted speculation about what you think the majority of Thais are spending on. The article clearly stated the average usual spend by Thai tourists. "Much" is relative but it is in fact a significant amount of money coming in steadily and pretty reliably, it's welcome, and it does help support vendors of various types catering to the large Thai market in Pattaya. Some of those vendors also cater to the international market.

So, it's a good thing that domestic tourists are starting to return now, as verified by several posters here. I saw quite a few out myself yesterday.

Like I said, there is big money selling sangsom whiskey and som tum to day tripping Thai's out of Bangkok.  ????

1 hour ago, johng said:

Yesterday (a Sunday) Jomtien was as packed as pre Wuflu levels,umbrellas and deck chairs back too,all that was missing where the foreigners !

Guess that takes care of Sunday’s then!