Pattaya: TAT say Thais are increasingly visiting - 10% up to 40% - despite the more expensive food and hotels

webfact

Yeah but what are the total numbers lol.  Of course the percentage of Thais would be up if foreigners number is down it's just common sense.  It doesn't mean any more have come it just means they constitute a greater percentage.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, tlandtday said:

Yeah but what are the total numbers lol.  Of course the percentage of Thais would be up if foreigners number is down it's just common sense.  It doesn't mean any more have come it just means they constitute a greater percentage.

That's what she said but she got drowned out by the 'let's all sh!t on TAT' crowd.

Just because they're not allowed on the bus, eh?

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, petermik said:

BTW.....the photo is not even Pattaya beach :whistling:

Quite correct, and on top of that, living almost on Pattaya Beach Road, I would confidently wager that this photo was NOT taken at any recent time, wherever it is ???? All the nearby beaches have been deserted for months.

7 hours ago, webfact said:

In the last two or three years the number of Thais in Pattaya was just 10% of the total - now it is 40%, said Pinnart Charoenphon.

This data came from the increase sales of Sangsom and som tum in Pattaya.  ???? 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Surely if there are no foreigners visiting, Thais must be making up 100% not 40. And if the percentage is correct, given the paltry numbers of foreigners still here that 40% is going to represent a very small number indeed and nothing to get excited about.

And the Thais that I know who  (vacation)  in Pattaya, usually only go for the day, sit on Jomtien Beach, eat a few grilled prawns and drink some Lao Khao.

Not exactly what I would term a tourist

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Cake Monster said:

And the Thais that I know who  (vacation)  in Pattaya, usually only go for the day, sit on Jomtien Beach, eat a few grilled prawns and drink some Lao Khao.

One only has to physically be in Pattaya to be deemed a tourist.  That fact that not 1 baht may be spent by the individual is of no consequence.  ????

Well considering that I've just read that certain bus companies won't allow Farangs to use their buses, I think that my plans to enjoy travel within Thailand (and help support the economy!) are going on hold.  Rather disappointing. 

9 hours ago, jacko45k said:

I guess they mean 40% of usual totals, coudn't be much else. That sounds optimistic though.

That's correct, as she referred to previous years. So much of the usual nonsense on this thread.

Not so optimistic. Most here don't actually see all those Thais flooding into the malls, tying up traffic, and parked at Jomtien Beach.

9 hours ago, Pilotman said:

No Sir;  how do you know when a TAT Officer is lying, their lips are moving.  Slightly different meaning. 

But everyone agrees with what she said regarding the foreign tourists. What we disagree with, we actually know nothing about. ????

6 minutes ago, BigStar said:

You don't live in Pattaya, you don't like Pattaya, and you avoid ever coming into Pattaya. You have no idea, actually.

True, I don't and I avoid it if  at all possible.  But I do know about the place,  as I holidayed there many  times over many years, when it was worth visiting that is. Now its not, although Covid 19 and the various restrictions, plus the lack of visitors has definitely improved the place for the better. 

2 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

The daytripper is traditionally recognized as a tourist, like it or not. Yes, they spend and that spending is welcome esp now. You know only a minority of Thais. A particular minority.

24 minutes ago, carlf said:

Well considering that I've just read that certain bus companies won't allow Farangs to use their buses, I think that my plans to enjoy travel within Thailand (and help support the economy!) are going on hold.  Rather disappointing. 

Oh, choose another bus company. Sorted.

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

One only has to physically be in Pattaya to be deemed a tourist.  That fact that not 1 baht may be spent by the individual is of no consequence.  ????

No consequence to whatever point you thought you were making, as she did refer to average spend, which included those who spend little or nothing.

7 minutes ago, BigStar said:

You knew the place. ????

I see on your profile, or more acculturate, don't see, that you have any connection with the place at all. I at least do live within 40km of it, so know enough to know my own  mind.   Perhaps you just read about it, like in a travel book?