I am not from the UK-I am British

bkk6060

15 hours ago, PFMills said:

And there was me thinking Australians were rejects from across the water  ????

Do try to keep up, that was 232 years ago. We've expanded our gene pool since then.

Edited by Lacessit

19 hours ago, Brer said:

Your all POM’s to me.

Isn't it strange that you can call us Pommies, an Irishman is a Paddy, a Welshman is a Taffy, an American is a Yankee, a New Zealander is a Kiwi, but someone from Pakistan??????

Edited by stouricks
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I can remember an Englishman telling me to be born British is to win the lottery of life. I responded Australians are born without class distinctions.

I once did an agency shift at a hospital in London where they looked after the nobs. My only patient was some lord. I wasn't going to address him as "my lord" and I couldn't call him by name.

Maybe he was from the Isle of Man, the people are British but it is not part of the UK. Ditto the Channel Islands. 

Rather than jumping to conclusions, maybe people should learn what the UK includes, and what it doesn't. 

And there are 14 British Overseas Territories. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Overseas_Territories

On 6/12/2020 at 4:14 PM, BritManToo said:

I'm English, I don't want to include any Scots or Irish in my nationality.

Ask someone to read your passport ID page and explain the bit about your nationality to you.

It ain't PUFS - Please ur fckng self!

Or ask them to read your avtar!

Edited by Baerboxer

On 6/12/2020 at 4:14 PM, BritManToo said:

Scots and Irish cannot be included in your nationality anyway. England is a nation, as are Scotland and Ireland. Now, state or country is another thing.

On 6/12/2020 at 10:22 AM, Lacessit said:

I can remember an Englishman telling me to be born British is to win the lottery of life. I responded Australians are born without class distinctions.

I do believe Cecil Rhodes said something like that. To be born an Australian is also a very beautiful thing considering your western culture and population density.

On 6/13/2020 at 11:47 AM, stouricks said:

Isn't it strange that you can call us Pommies, an Irishman is a Paddy, a Welshman is a Taffy, an American is a Yankee, a New Zealander is a Kiwi, but someone from Pakistan??????

Yes, but to refer to someone from Pakistan in the way you infer, could be standing on very unfirm ground

On 6/12/2020 at 11:00 AM, FarangULong said:

I've heard this variant before "I am English/Scottish/Welsh/(N.) Irish, not British", but never "I am British, not from the UK". Because unless you're Irish/from Northern Ireland, it doesn't even make sense, as the name is "United Kingdom of Great Britain AND Northern Ireland"...

And the other "version". I've heard a few times, is: I'm NOT (in a rather offended tone, usually) European, I am British.", and this was long before Brexit was even a thing.

So not sure what the guy was trying to say here? Maybe it was a joke, I would have had to hear him say it though... British sarcasm can be soooo super dry, it takes some getting used to, to hear the slight intonation difference. Could be that he was just taking the <deleted>.

A lot of you seem to be making assumptions. A number of my friends are British ( citizens) but were not born ( so not from ) in the UK.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, stouricks said:

Yes I understand that, and it is why I ask the question.

It's something which we keep quiet about now, but I see no reason not to call them Pakistani. A bit long winded but I do get you're drift.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 10:14 AM, BritManToo said:

Your Nationality is British, it says so in your passport: "British Citizen", and has so ever since passports began to be issued in "The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland".

Your Ethnicity is English.

Post a photo of yourself and I'll take a guess at your Race.

Edited by Enoon

59 minutes ago, Surasak said:

Yes, but to refer to someone from Pakistan in the way you infer, could be standing on very unfirm ground

It depends upon the tone of your voice and your demeanour/attitude when you refer to someone from Pakistan as "<deleted>".

Don't snarl it, with hatred, when talking to your friends of Pakistan origin.

The same applies to the Jewish community.

My friend Leslie (from Manchester) upon hearing me refer to him as being Jewish, told me that he was a Yid and didn't really like "Jewish".

My dear old boss/friend Dave (from Aldgate) was also proud to tell me that he'd "not done badly for a little East End Yid".

It's really a question of your attitude and the nature of your relationship with those you are addressing.

PS Nothing in this post deleted by me.

Edited by Enoon
  • Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 4:04 PM, bkk6060 said:

I am not from the UK, I am British

He is either from Scotland, Wales, or England, but NOT Northern Ireland, UK is England, Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland, Britain is England, Scotland or Wales.

Put frankly, he was stating a fact, and yeah, we consider ourselves to be British, not United Kingdom subjects, thats why on our passports it states United Kingdoms of Great Britain (British) and Northern Ireland 

Edited by Jenkins9039

On 6/12/2020 at 10:34 AM, petermik said:

My understanding of "being British" is someone born in the UK to parents who are the same :thumbsup:

and I,m proud to be one of them also :clap2:

I feel very lucky to have been born and raised in the UK, but can never understand the 'Proud' bit, especially the way things are going now in the UK. One's nationality is purely an accident of birth.

• Like 2

On 6/12/2020 at 4:18 PM, stouricks said:

Doesn't being British mean you are from Great? Britain ie England, Scotland or Wales, whereas the United Kingdom includes Northern Ireland.?

No. British includes Northern Ireland. The 'great' part comes from the French names for the two islands, i.e. Grande Bretagne and Petit Bretagne: greater and lesser in size.

• Confused 2
  • Thanks 1

On 6/12/2020 at 10:34 AM, Dmaxdan said:

Maybe he has some gripe with the Northern Irish? 

Screenshot_20200612_163035.jpg

Yes maybe he is ex-army and had a hard time there during the 'Troubles'. Or maybe its the opposite and he believes that Northern Ireland should be reunited with the Republic of Ireland and not united with Britain as part of the UK.

Edited by SunsetT