July 31 amnesty is only for overstay fees not overstay.

2 hours ago, fm2002 said:

I recently went into the Pattaya immigration to inquire about applying for a retirement Visa. I have enough money in bank and meet all requirements. I’m currently on a tourist Visa that expired on April 14. I had contacted a agent first to ask about them doing it for me. After I provided a copy of my stamp in passport she said I was overstay and that she could still get a retirement visa for me, but it would require “special service”. Code for 24,000baht. I Said wait there’s a amnesty until July31. She than said that the amnesty is for overstay fees only, but I’m officially still overstay. I have a friend who has lived here for 20+ years and is an authority on pretty much everything. He said he hadn’t  heard anything of this and doubted that it’s true.

So the next day I paid a visit to Pattaya immigration. Sat down with a immigration agent in the retirement Visa section and was told the exact same thing. The agent than instructed me of the “special service”.

Has anyone heard this? Or is this just a Pattaya specific rule to get me to avail of “special services”?

The "Non-O Visa" desk (small sub-office) at Pattaya is one of the worst in the country, per reports and my own experience. 

Under normal circumstances, it is 15K Baht to an agent to get one, even if you meet the "official" qualifications.  

The 25K Baht price is normally for the Non-O Visa (90 days) PLUS the 1-year extension. 

Meeting the qualifications is completely irrelevant, in either case.  IOs don't really care if you "meet the official requirements" or not - that is all just for show.

37 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

'jumped the gun'. you mean reported on my due date? 'Got a little hysterical', you mean not trusting  the knowledge and consistency of IOs? If so, then yes.  

You over reacted on pure impulse, but it's ok we all do it sometimes.

• Like 1

Just now, Keyser Soze666 said:

Except they were wrong.

How is reporting on your 90 days due date 'wrong'?   So there is no inconsistency in the applying of the immigration rules at the various Immigration offices and among officers, is that your argument?  What kind of alternative Thailand  do you live in, not the one most of us inhabit that is for sure. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

How is reporting on your 90 days due date 'wrong'?   So there is no inconsistency in the applying of the immigration rules at the various Immigration offices and among officers, is that your argument?  What kind of alternative Thailand  do you live in, not the one most of us inhabit that is for sure. 

3 hours ago, Pilotman said:

and people wonder why some of us are still doing 90 day reports on our normal due dates . 

''His case is completely different from that. Read my post above''

You were wrong about what the OP was referring to, (which is what I am referring to) which is why Ubon Joe corrected you and you then duly acknowledged that by telling Joe we are not all experts, etc.

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

The "Non-O Visa" desk (small sub-office) at Pattaya is one of the worst in the country, per reports and my own experience. 

Under normal circumstances, it is 15K Baht to an agent to get one, even if you meet the "official" qualifications.  

The 25K Baht price is normally for the Non-O Visa (90 days) PLUS the 1-year extension. 

Meeting the qualifications is completely irrelevant, in either case.  IOs don't really care if you "meet the official requirements" or not - that is all just for show.

from 2013 I am on ret. ext.  at desk 8 jomtien immigration . And never I had a problem , holding the correct documents and the 800k on bank, and bank  letter, doing it always in person , no agent involved and never got a hint in that direction or anything to pay unless the 1900 Baht official fee.

So very surprised to read your post , however knowing in some cases it exists (situation not ok, or doc not o.k. , or no 800K in possession on Thai  bank ) 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, david555 said:

So very surprised to read your post , however knowing in some cases it exists (situation not ok, or doc not o.k. , or no 800K in possession on Thai  bank ) 

You won't be surprised if you read guy you quoted zillion posts. Always Thai imm fault and yet most have zero issues. I walk in and out every year. Have your stuff in order no problem. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, RubbaJohnny said:

So cannot we apply for 60 day extension as the exemption period comes to an end ?

I have a married mans multi entry O, but obviously cannot do a border bounce if borders closed ?

Can this be done on July 31st or does it have to be 15 days before?

Same here, really hoping I can get a 60 day extension towards end amnesty period even though my present 90 day permission to stay ends tomorrow. I’m worried that the IO might refuse as I’d technically be on overstay. The fines are being wavered, but the overstay technicality.... could this be a problem?  UbonJoe mentioned that I should get an extension no problem... I live in hope, will go to immigration office a couple of weeks before end of amnesty and see

udonjoe knows everything about visas / extensions I would advise anyone to take notice of what he says. If anyone else questions it they are wrong. 

I know this from previous information given. Just a heads up to you all.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pilotman said:

and people wonder why some of us are still doing 90 day reports on our normal due dates . 

and people wonder why some of us are still doing 90 days in/out of the country to avoid talking to these rats in uniform !

I have never and will never respect any of them ! I would help any soi dog more than any of them if in distress !

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, salsajapan said:

and people wonder why some of us are still doing 90 days in/out of the country to avoid talking to these rats in uniform !

I have never and will never respect any of them ! I would help any soi dog more than any of them if in distress !

Is it any wonder why "we" get treated badly ?

Treat people like that and you have to realise they will treat you likewise back 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, CorpusChristie said:

Is it any wonder why "we" get treated badly ?

Treat people like that and you have to realise they will treat you likewise back 

i don't treat anyone, this is the reason why i do not visit any $hithole place where people in uniform are trying to rob honest people money !

7 minutes ago, salsajapan said:

i don't treat anyone, this is the reason why i do not visit any $hithole place where people in uniform are trying to rob honest people money !

Abide by the laws and you will not get robbed .

Crash helmet and drivers license and things 

3 hours ago, david555 said:

from 2013 I am on ret. ext.  at desk 8 jomtien immigration . And never I had a problem , holding the correct documents and the 800k on bank, and bank  letter, doing it always in person , no agent involved and never got a hint in that direction or anything to pay unless the 1900 Baht official fee.

You are talking about the Non-O-Retirement handling-desk - Very different from the Non-O-90-Day (aka change-of-visa / conversion) desk AND Very different from the Non-O-Marriage desk.  The latter two are a nightmare, as many here will attest - most especially the Non-O-90 Day desk.

The Retirement desk, by contrast, is one of the least-troublesome around for those applying - especially if using "cash in the bank."   That said, "agent fixed" retirement extensions there are one of the most high-volume in the country - so they ought to be happy campers.

Edited by JackThompson

6 hours ago, JackThompson said:

You are talking about the Non-O-Retirement handling-desk - Very different from the Non-O-90-Day (aka change-of-visa / conversion) desk AND Very different from the Non-O-Marriage desk.  The latter two are a nightmare, as many here will attest - most especially the Non-O-90 Day desk.

The Retirement desk, by contrast, is one of the least-troublesome around for those applying - especially if using "cash in the bank."   That said, "agent fixed" retirement extensions there are one of the most high-volume in the country - so they ought to be happy campers.

O.K.  from there my confusion ???? as desk 8 together withe 90 day rapport desk working in a flash , and very rare i deal with residence letter desk for my 5 years DL or other needs & yearly a re-entry....and all working fine. 

The marriage desk i heared already about that  a certain lady I.O. is terrible difficult there....???? no need to deal with that desk as a convinced bachelor ...????

Reverting to @fm2002's predicament (after the "magical mystery tour" diversion of the last couple of pages or so), I strongly suspect that his best course of action would be to sit tight until 31st July (or whenever the amnesty might be subsequently extended to) and then exit Thailand in order to apply for a fresh single-entry non-O visa on the grounds of being 50+ at a Royal Thai embassy or consulate in an adjacent ASEAN country. Such a mission could presumably be undertaken at rather less than the 24,000 THB cost of the Jomtien Immigration Office's "special service", and he should then not need to grace the corridors of said Office again until up to 30 days before the permission to stay granted under his new non-O visa expires, when he would need to apply for an annual retirement extension of stay.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

@OJAS my thoughts exactly except one big problem. I’m holding a US passport and most likely won’t be allowed back in for some time. For sure not in August! Which why I was going to ask on a new thread about other options. Which at this point is a work permit.......?

And before I get chastised for not doing this earlier; I actually did get a retirement visa already, but my agent and of course ultimately I screwed up and didn’t get a multiple entry.

6 minutes ago, fm2002 said:

Furthermore I left out a tid bit which I believe is total bs. The agent informed me there’s a chance when I do exist because I’m overstay I may get a overstay stamp in my passport.

Does the expiry of your current permission of stay actually predate the initial amnesty announcement on 7th April?

2 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Does the expiry of your current permission of stay actually predate the initial amnesty announcement on 7th April?

Anybody that were in the country legally on March 26th are covered by the amnesty.

He wrote his permit to stay ran out on April 14th in his OP.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fm2002 said:

@OJAS my thoughts exactly except one big problem. I’m holding a US passport and most likely won’t be allowed back in for some time. For sure not in August! Which why I was going to ask on a new thread about other options. Which at this point is a work permit.......?

And before I get chastised for not doing this earlier; I actually did get a retirement visa already, but my agent and of course ultimately I screwed up and didn’t get a multiple entry.

Rather reprehensible though this may sound to many (myself included), I fear that the only practical way of guaranteeing certainty in your case in present circumstances would be to accept Jomtien's 24,000 THB "special offer". As @Peter Denis has pointed out elsewhere, this could prove a risky course of action if you were seeking to evade the normal financial requirements for retirement extensions in this way. However, since you have stated in your OP that you meet these requirements in full this shouldn't be an issue for you - although it might nevertheless still be a good idea for you to hang on to evidence of this (as per the normal Immigration requirements of e.g. bank account confirmation letter + appropriate statement(s)) in the event of any subsequent shakedown of the Jomtien Immigration Office initiated by Immigration Bureau bigwigs, which could result in those availing themselves of these "special services" (as well as the individual officers demanding them) coming to light.

Regarding your second paragraph, you and your agent didn't, in fact, miss a trick on the non-O visa you were presumably referring to since such visas are nowadays only issued on the grounds of being aged 50+ on a single-entry basis.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, fm2002 said:

You might not have problem entering and returning from a nearby country even with a US passport since you have not been in the states. They will go by the country you are arriving from plus you have been here.

• Like 1