Just did 5 nights in HuaHin...

moontang

17 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

Enjoy the sunsets—NOT.

Kind of like east coast beaches vs. west coast, USA..it does change the lifestyle some.  During rainy season, it may be better to enjoy in the morning, since the rains often come in the afternoon.  

• Like 1

Homes near the sea are always very expensive, but did that house in HH really sell for 8 mill plus baht ? I ask, because it is not half as big, or as 'flash', as the one we built in 2008 and sold in Saraphi, Chiang Mai (yes, that is "get yourself smoked to death for nine months a year" C Mai these days) in 2013 for 1.55 million. It resold last year to the No 2 man in the Amphur for 2.4 million. Our land was a lot bigger too, but no spa pool. (I did like the Tiger bottle in the photo though - it's my favourite brew when in LOS or Singapore). I used to tell people that I had built 'an absolute waterfront mansion in C Mai' until an ex-army buddy who had lived in Asia said to me 'oh, you got a place on a klong, have yuh' ? That sorted it ! I'm not complaining, as we still made a profit of about 300 thou baht and got the hell out of there, but I guess the land in Hua Hin is very expensive, as in "paang maak gern pai" ? Just wondering - never been there. We bought a little apartment (as in bedsitter/studio to us farang) in Singapore three years ago, as we visit the place regularly. I won't say what we paid for it, as no one would believe it on this forum. Thai missus and our daughter liked the place - 'nuff said. 

4 minutes ago, Aussiepeter said:

Homes near the sea are always very expensive, but did that house in HH really sell for 8 mill plus baht ? I ask, because it is not half as big, or as 'flash', as the one we built in 2008 and sold in Saraphi, Chiang Mai (yes, that is "get yourself smoked to death for nine months a year" C Mai these days) in 2013 for 1.55 million. It resold last year to the No 2 man in the Amphur for 2.4 million. Our land was a lot bigger too, but no spa pool. (I did like the Tiger bottle in the photo though - it's my favourite brew when in LOS or Singapore). I used to tell people that I had built 'an absolute waterfront mansion in C Mai' until an ex-army buddy who had lived in Asia said to me 'oh, you got a place on a klong, have yuh' ? That sorted it ! I'm not complaining, as we still made a profit of about 300 thou baht and got the hell out of there, but I guess the land in Hua Hin is very expensive, as in "paang maak gern pai" ? Just wondering - never been there. We bought a little apartment (as in bedsitter/studio to us farang) in Singapore three years ago, as we visit the place regularly. I won't say what we paid for it, as no one would believe it on this forum. Thai missus and our daughter liked the place - 'nuff said. 

House is 3 br/2.5 bath on 103 wah.  About 700 m from the beach at Takiab..a ten minute walk or less to the end of the songthaew route.  There are few single family homes down there.

Thanks for the quick feedback moontang - I've been with the missus for over 20 years now and she is interested in owning another bit of LOS, especially as I made her sell the last one. We have friends who live in HH so the boss says 'lets look there' (when of course they let us back in). She said 'she was never going back to LOS' but after seven years, she's homesick. A Belgian chef we know moved to HH from CM after his farang business partner died several years ago.

I am sure that he will have opened another "Benelux" restaurant there by now. For those not in the know - Benelux is a mix of Belgian, Netherlands (and I guess) Luxembourg food. He had a place called "Mozart" in C Mai for almost thirty years. Great food - I ate there at least twice a week for fifteen years. Even the Thai missus liked his cooking (spicy).

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Aussiepeter said:

Thanks for the quick feedback moontang - I've been with the missus for over 20 years now and she is interested in owning another bit of LOS, especially as I made her sell the last one. We have friends who live in HH so the boss says 'lets look there' (when of course they let us back in). She said 'she was never going back to LOS' but after seven years, she's homesick. A Belgian chef we know moved to HH from CM after his farang business partner died several years ago.

I am sure that he will have opened another "Benelux" restaurant there by now. For those not in the know - Benelux is a mix of Belgian, Netherlands (and I guess) Luxembourg food. He had a place called "Mozart" in C Mai for almost thirty years. Great food - I ate there at least twice a week for fifteen years. Even the Thai missus liked his cooking (spicy).

The house was backed up to Funjipani Resort, which you can see on the map...not the best beach down there, compared to Soi 67..but Takiap is much more quiet than the clock tower area.  Too quiet for some.  The true high season is short, like 2-3 months, and that adds to the weirdness.  170 THB for an ear of grilled corn?  They are selling them for 20 in BKK most every day.  School options are better in CM, but CM has been much more ruined by pollution..I did see some condos starting at 1.49..3-4 km north of clock tower..seems to be more value there, but at that point, you should probably look at Chaam.

Screenshot_20200619-193912.png

Edited by moontang

On 6/18/2020 at 4:23 AM, moontang said:

Might be worth a look before Ivan and the tour busses return.  I wouldn't want to be anywhere near it in high season.  Even with the look of desertion, the Sunday traffic heading back North was nothing to sneeze at, but they are doing a lot of road work between Phetchaburi and Chaam.

There's a train there from Bangkok.  Only stupid people drive.  DOH. ????

Never been to Hua Hin heard it was a place where you could bring your family and they could enjoy as well if you wanted to bar hop ...they had

it but not to the scale of Pattaya 

a friend in China took his Chinese wife to pattaya once on a holiday and he’s banned from going agin... I told him he was stupid he said no he’s British.. 555 joke .. he was a Brit 

i lived in China at the time..now here going on 5 years...

wait wait wait wait someone talked about traffic in Hua Hin.. uhhh

pattaya has that beat by far

On 6/18/2020 at 4:44 PM, moontang said:

This is where I used to stay..a friend from high school built the entire subdivision..sold for 8.7m, but he could have got 12+ in 2012.  Rented for 20k per week.

IMG_20181123_131235.jpg

IMG_20181123_131336.jpg

IMG_20181123_131529.jpg

Interesting.

Thanks for the pic of the house next door, which I used to live in, which sold earlier this year for Baht 4.8 million.  The large villas may have sold for Baht 12 million 8 years ago, but 3 have recently (last 2 years) sold for about 8 million.  Please pass on my regards to your high schooll friend  Khun J.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Aussiepeter said:

For what it's worth,  I've lived in HH for the past 7 years (after retiring from the US).  It's the only place I've lived in Thailand so I really can't comment about property costs elsewhere.  And I've only rented not owned but being a "spoiled American" I do have fairly high standards.  That said, in my opinion many properties in HH are way over valued (i.e. not worth anything close to the purchase price).  Someone told me a few years ago they thought prices began increasing not long after the gov't started talking about building high speed rail between here and BKK.  My opinion has always been that it will never happen in my lifetime (I'm currently 62).  But companies are still building new condos and moo baans here.  Personally, I can't understand why or where all the new buyers are coming from.  There are many real estate companies in HH so I would suggest you take a look at some of their listings.  But keep in mind that many of the photos were taken when the properties were 1st built.

1 hour ago, JKfarang said:

For what it's worth,  I've lived in HH for the past 7 years (after retiring from the US).  It's the only place I've lived in Thailand so I really can't comment about property costs elsewhere.  And I've only rented not owned but being a "spoiled American" I do have fairly high standards.  That said, in my opinion many properties in HH are way over valued (i.e. not worth anything close to the purchase price).  Someone told me a few years ago they thought prices began increasing not long after the gov't started talking about building high speed rail between here and BKK.  My opinion has always been that it will never happen in my lifetime (I'm currently 62).  But companies are still building new condos and moo baans here.  Personally, I can't understand why or where all the new buyers are coming from.  There are many real estate companies in HH so I would suggest you take a look at some of their listings.  But keep in mind that many of the photos were taken when the properties were 1st built.

The rail is being built...maybe someone else has details, but I thought it was only a few years away.

8 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

There's a train there from Bangkok.  Only stupid people drive.  DOH. ????

Train service is very limited now..I tried it on the return, and second class only..800 THB..so I took the van.  It turns out the trains were 3 hours late.  In better times, there is a three hour fifteen minutes train from Bang Su, which was great for me.  A lot of it depends on where in BKK you are starting.  Even on the river, Pattaya is an easier trip.

2 hours ago, JimHuaHin said:

Interesting.

Thanks for the pic of the house next door, which I used to live in, which sold earlier this year for Baht 4.8 million.  The large villas may have sold for Baht 12 million 8 years ago, but 3 have recently (last 2 years) sold for about 8 million.  Please pass on my regards to your high schooll friend  Khun J.

Will do J.  He mentioned you were selling, when I was there last July.  Your house would have been better for one or two, IMO.  Did you stay in HH? 

8 hours ago, DJ54 said:

Never been to Hua Hin heard it was a place where you could bring your family and they could enjoy as well if you wanted to bar hop ...they had

it but not to the scale of Pattaya 

a friend in China took his Chinese wife to pattaya once on a holiday and he’s banned from going agin... I told him he was stupid he said no he’s British.. 555 joke .. he was a Brit 

i lived in China at the time..now here going on 5 years...

wait wait wait wait someone talked about traffic in Hua Hin.. uhhh

pattaya has that beat by far

True..I took a bus from Trat to Ekami, and the last 100 km took 2.5 hours.  There is more of a grid in Patts, though.  If you can do Sunday or Monday through Thursday-Friday, you can save a lot on rooms and have an easier trip.  

Edited by moontang

On 6/18/2020 at 6:47 PM, geisha said:

I was bored in Hua Hin. I liked the All In restaurant/ shop for foreign food. I wonder  if it’s still there ? Otherwise I ate in the night market, great fresh fish and huge prawns, and the occasional rat running over my feet !!

Do you mean All in Hua Hin? I heard it was for sale a while ago and when I went to check it out yesterday the shutters were down. As an out of towner I used to enjoy going there so I'd appreciate it too if a local could confirm if I just got unlucky yesterday.

35 THB..basement food court..and you get 120 credit for 100, good for 7 days..but be warned..several of the better places are cash only..including the best salad I have had since buying lettuce from Royal Project store at CMU...40 THB..

83562656_3572826912747032_2513198257738364756_o.jpg

Edited by moontang

On 6/19/2020 at 1:33 PM, Aussiepeter said:

We bought a little apartment (as in bedsitter/studio to us farang) in Singapore three years ago, as we visit the place regularly. I won't say what we paid for it, as no one would believe it on this forum. 

Uh why? It's hardly a big secret, that Singapore is expensive as (insert expletive of your choice here). Unless you're trying to imply (somehow I doubt, that this is the case) that you got the best deal ever?

Or is this simply your way of doing the "humble brag"? ????

Since there are quite a few of you here, who owned or currently own property in LOS, would you mind shooting me a pm? I have a few questions, specifically about ownership. I was/am under the impression, that foreigners cannot own property in LOS (except Condos, but only if more than 51% of the units in the building are Thai owned), and that the only option is buying via a company (where again 51% has to be owned by a Thai), having it in the name (and thus at the total mercy of) the Thai spouse, or doing one of those 99 (or whatever) year land "leases", meaning you can build a house etc. but unless you have Thai kids and the landlord is willing to sell, it will not stay ni the family (unless legislative changes occur, which I doubt is going to happen anytime soon).

Yet I've been viewing some real estate listings (some of which were listed on thai visa's realty part), and in the "ownership" part it said "foreign owned". And those were either houses, or plots in new developments with pre-fab housing for order. Could of course be a scam, but it got me wondering, if there are other ways. If so, please pm? Thanks.

A company is not practical for a smaller purchase..you can own land with a BOI company, but might be 10 million minimum..Google it...that is all legal..setting up a company to circumvent restrictions on foreign ownership is illegal in itself..but some do it..it is possible to have a house that is actually a condo....I have done the house with a lawyer..was ok..but wouldn't do it again..and sure as hell wouldn't do it with GF..done two condos in my name, much better, but returns are thin..