Thailand Aims to Turn Away From Mass Tourism and Target the Wealthy

rooster59

19 minutes ago, sezze said:

As awanting to attract " more wealthy persons " , they should think about how many people they are targeting . I think by far the majority of people who come these days are not the same people who did visit in the 90's / 00's since prices have increased a lot . Thailand isn't at all a cheap destination , so every visitor does have a good sum of cash . What cash are they are looking for ?? People spending +5000 is pretty normal just before corona , which isn't cheap by standards .  I'm sure as European you can have loads of fun in Europe for the cash you spend in Thailand . How much do they consider wealthy travellers ? And how they consider it to be like that ? If you building a home , 100k is not that much but a lot for normal tourist , and not a lot according to Thai  rich people ? .

What currency???

With an average monthly salary in Thailand of around 18,000 baht, the term "wealthy" can be construed to mean people earning 50,000 per month, not a western definition by any means.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, sezze said:

As awanting to attract " more wealthy persons " , they should think about how many people they are targeting . I think by far the majority of people who come these days are not the same people who did visit in the 90's / 00's since prices have increased a lot . Thailand isn't at all a cheap destination , so every visitor does have a good sum of cash . What cash are they are looking for ?? People spending +5000 is pretty normal just before corona , which isn't cheap by standards .  I'm sure as European you can have loads of fun in Europe for the cash you spend in Thailand . How much do they consider wealthy travellers ? And how they consider it to be like that ? If you building a home , 100k is not that much but a lot for normal tourist , and not a lot according to Thai  rich people ? .

My friends wife went to a nicer resort several years ago, she had a great time, but after hearing the stories of how cheap Thailand is, she was quite shocked at the high costs, although as stated ,She is a classy young gal, ate and drank at nice places. 

My nephew and buddies went to Bangkok last summer, first sentence out of his mouth when I asked how things went. Holy <deleted> is booze expensive there! Both won't be back. Been there, done it, try someplace different.

• Like 2

Why on earth would wealthy tourists want to come to Thailand? View the stray dogs? Observe the fly tipping? Pay more than Thais for the privilege of visiting "attractions and National Parks"? Stay in below par accommodation ? Experience the exciting driving techniques? A wealthy tourist s not someone from China who does a bit of shopping.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, stoutfella said:

Angelina Jolie got a few footballers along with her tattoos did she. I did not know that.

She's got a house in Cambo, and so has Matt Dillon.

Her movie about the Khmer Rouge regime through the eyes of a child; First They Killed My Father, is on Netflix. Worth a watch if you are interested in regional history.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, nong38 said:

Why on earth would wealthy tourists want to come to Thailand? View the stray dogs? Observe the fly tipping? Pay more than Thais for the privilege of visiting "attractions and National Parks"? Stay in below par accommodation ? Experience the exciting driving techniques? A wealthy tourist s not someone from China who does a bit of shopping.

Can't a wealthy tourist go slumming? Appreciate a bit of local color, post on TVF from the usual hi-so viewpoint?

11 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Thailand is following the  strategy established by mature Tourism destinations. The USA, Canada, Australia, Japan et al do not encourage the entry of financially marginal  visitors and when that demographic shows up with insufficient funds or visa issues, they are denied entry. Thailand is moving towards a similar strategy.

Comparing Thailand to countries where the average household income is 60k$ ???? Thailand has 1/10th of that average income. The business of visas and spilling money to not so rich people is HUGE, much bigger than that created by those that go to Phuket with private plane (haha). 

Anyway this is a big thread about the pure NOTHING. these governors are not rocket scientists, they talk much like middle school kids. Mass tourism to Thailand is over for a number of reasons, so they go and say: " look what, we didn't want anyway mass tourists! They are dirty and they stink! We just want rich clean people now! HAA!!!"

Edited by Sundown
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

There will always be affordable options and the government  strategy suggestion will not eliminate such facilities. Many visitors to Thailand will not need nor want the high end resorts and that's ok. They will still have those options. However, the days of making it easy for the  marginal people who take up space and do not cover more than their immediate cost of being in the country are coming to an end. Thailand is following the  strategy established by mature Tourism destinations. The USA, Canada, Australia, Japan et al do not encourage the entry of financially marginal  visitors and when that demographic shows up with insufficient funds or visa issues, they are denied entry. Thailand is moving towards a similar strategy. It's going to force many Thais to up their game and to focus on quality and value, and that's not a bad outcome, is it?

I agree. If this mean that Thai will up their game and focus and quality and value, then go for it. Hope something better will come from this. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Trillian said:

With an average monthly salary in Thailand of around 18,000 baht, the term "wealthy" can be construed to mean people earning 50,000 per month, not a western definition by any means.

I agree. Wealthy according to Thai standard and western definition is very different. I hope Thai will up their games and focus on value. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 minutes ago, varun said:

The wealthy go to Paris, Rome, Amsterdam, New York City, Berlin among others - 

they wouldn't be concerned in the least about Thailand.

...for the beach Bora Bora, Mustique, Maldives.

I don't think any large country has ever really managed to attract wealthier people overall. Phuket has some very wealthy expats/visitors, but it's a small part of Phuket/Thailand.

Majorca has many high net worth residents, but also lots of the mass tourism/pleb variety.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

She's got a house in Cambo, and so has Matt Dillon.

Her movie about the Khmer Rouge regime through the eyes of a child; First They Killed My Father, is on Netflix. Worth a watch if you are interested in regional history.

I should also have pointed out that Matt Dillon's City of Ghosts is one of my favourite movies ever. It is set in Bangkok and Phnom Penh. A couple of mates of mine had minor parts in it. RIP Snowy. 

On 6/20/2020 at 7:32 AM, rooster59 said:

Thailand Aims to Turn Away From Mass Tourism and Target the Wealthy

Thailand should focus on the high spending middle class families, they are the ones who travel and spend money.... the wealthy are to demanding and sometimes poor attitude, would not focus too much energy on them

3 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

families

I remember when I came to Thailand in '85 on a package holiday with Kuoni. in their brochure it stated that they didn't consider Pattaya to be suitable for 'families'. Then again, it's possible to live in the Pattaya area and never even see the girly bar areas.

Thailand still has a reputation for that stuff, I think many Thais would like it if it could lose that ingrained image.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

I remember when I came to Thailand in '85 on a package holiday with Kuoni. in their brochure it stated that they didn't consider Pattaya to be suitable for 'families'. Then again, it's possible to live in the Pattaya area and never even see the girly bar areas.

Thailand still has a reputation for that stuff, I think many Thais would like it if it could lose that ingrained image.

And that is exactly what they consider to be 'wealthy tourists', not the usual demographic, i.e. backpackers or sex-tourists.

They can't come out and say it though.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2020 at 4:34 AM, Bugsy777 said:

Millions of Thais survive on the tourist dollar. Those dollars are spread thinly but evenly due to the sheer volume of visitor numbers. What they are proposing is a significant reduction in tourist numbers but an increase in spending by wealthy tourists.

I hope that the government is ready to cope with widespread poverty. This will be a catastrophe if it ever happens, which I seriously doubt. Thailand desperately needs foreign income. Whether it comes from old fat farangs or backpackers is immaterial. If they manage to attract the wealthy, that needs to be seen as an additional source of income, not a replacement.

However, Thailands recent attitude to expats, who provide foreign income, has shown us that they have no understanding and so the whole affair will be a huge balls up, as usual, or forgotten about.

Definetely i agree with you...i dont think wealthy rich foreigner will walk into street markets, have some street foods instead they will walk into expensive restaurants, so if they are targeting wealthy is obvious that they dont care about how poor people will survive, is obvious also that billionares in Thailand have much more influence than i thought, fee weeks prior to this topic on TVF i saw a post from a richest man in Thai the CP guy said that he suggest and he think it would be best for Thailand that only wealthy tourist visit, the second thing luxury 14 days quarantine rooms have been made... Well good luck Thailand let rich people fill pockets more than ever while poor in Thailand will become more poor. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

And that is exactly what they consider to be 'wealthy tourists', not the usual demographic, i.e. backpackers or sex-tourists.

They can't come out and say it though.

I’m reminded of the quote by Peter O’Toole in the movie ‘The Last Emperor’

“If you cannot say what you mean, your majesty, you will never mean what you say and a gentleman should always mean what he says”

That being said, it seems as if the tourism department always seems to refocus on one demographic at the exclusion of others.  At one point, it was going to be the “hub of sports”...then, medical tourism was going to be the focus.  One day it’s China, the next day it’s India.  Don’t throw the baby out with the bath water.

There is room enough for all demographics in Thailand.  I can understand them wanting to get away from the “sex tourism” stigma, but rather than try to stamp it out, perhaps they should just limit to Pattaya.  Not every beach resort needs a “bar area”...but I suspect that in every location where there is prostitution, money rules.  I would spend more time in Phuket if it wasn’t for the seedy feeling there myself.  Sleepy HuaHin can be for the older folks.

Why get rid of backpackers?  There is plenty of room in Maehongson province for them and I’m sure that the locals there would welcome their money even if it’s just spent on a 400 baht room, fried rice and elephant pants.  Krabi could also be a good beach location for the backpackers with the rock climbing, hiking etc.

I also think that Thailand should also focus more on retirees.  Perhaps combine it in some way with medical tourism and perhaps work out arrangements with western countries such as the US where Medicare is going to reach potentially unsustainable levels with the baby boomers retirement.  Then again, maybe those western countries want to keep every dollar within their own  “medical industrial complex”.

Just thinking out loud here. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

...for the beach Bora Bora, Mustique, Maldives.

I don't think any large country has ever really managed to attract wealthier people overall. Phuket has some very wealthy expats/visitors, but it's a small part of Phuket/Thailand.

Majorca has many high net worth residents, but also lots of the mass tourism/pleb variety.

Spent some great time in Magaluf, out of season I might add when a more refined and mature tourist was required.

3 minutes ago, nong38 said:

Spent some great time in Magaluf, out of season I might add when a more refined and mature tourist was required.

Majorca was the first place I ever travelled abroad, 1969, I was 4 years old, I very vaguely remember it. I don't think Majorca was very developed re tourism back then.

13 hours ago, Trillian said:

Exactly. When Thailand was cheap they didn't buy in and invest because they thought it would always be that way, now that it's expensive for them they're angry so they badmouth all things Thai.

Haha, Thailand is one of the cheapest countries in the world. What do you mean when it was cheap?

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

Its going to be all about number of widgets and bums on seats for Thailand for some time to come....I love the place but, they are not great innovators of new things or good at maintaining what they already have. No, bums on seats gentlemen...bums on seats.