Emotional depression...

Yes, body and mind must be kept busy.

Exercise. Swimming, hiking, table tennis, badminton ...

Learn something new. If you have plenty of time, you can start learning Thai, Chinese or Japanese or some programming language. Or read about the Fourth industrial revolution. Anyway, do something that you can build on through time and see the progress. 

But in general, mind and body must be busy. At the beginning you may not feel the positive effects in this but in time they will come. That's a kind of life battle and try to understand it that way. Some kind of price due to everyone is paying a price in life. If there is no battle, life does not have sense (the word "battle" is used as a metaphor).

Congratulations for giving up drinking, if you can do that, you can achieve everything.

As for you being alone, just find a girl(or a boy/men) just tell them honest what you want, if you only need company, hang around or just little travelling or anything..so they know what you expect and get from them. A lot of girls or boys are in for new things(not sex) like just to be with you, of course you can pay them a lot or even only the food, it’s up to you. Maybe you are lucky and after a while you can have dedicated friends. (As I know from some good friends of mine, who did it that way. ) they are happy to have someone around if they feel so, and they have their own free time.

good luck

Find a good wife, then you will be posting on here,

you have too much to do,they always find things for

you to fix,repair,keep you busy.

If you don't want a wife, get a dog

regards worgeordie

Be grateful that you’re living in a country:

• with a warm climate 

• that allows retired foreigners to own a car 

• with food & accommodation costs a fraction of where you come from

• with an endless supply of beautiful, friendly females for temporary or permanent companionship

Next. 

Edited by Nemises

Are you in a metropolitan area where other foreigners are? If yes, perhaps look on Facebook for an expats group. You might find their are events/trips to join. Cycling and running as well. Or maybe you'll learn about new restaurants and cafes where you could meet people.

On 6/20/2020 at 4:34 PM, Bruce Aussie Chiang Mai said:

Get a dog walk everyday together. Get some hobbies, don't mix with other depressed people. Find a partner if you haven't got one already.

Keeping the pencil wet will make you live longer.

Enjoy life in Thailand. 

????????????

..a quiet little tug in the bush relieves the tension Im told.

On 6/20/2020 at 6:12 PM, Keyser Soze666 said:

But he's not 'depressed' is he, he is just bored. As for offering advice, absolutely no point as no one ever takes any notice of what anyone says anyway. You actually think that someone needs to be told about going out on a bike?? has the op even returned to this thread? As for not being able to predict the unfolding events..haha do behave,,

No offense, but you post like an emotionally scorned woman. The only 'tool' I see around here is YOU. 

Maybe you should read the OP' post again. The title is "emotional depression" also he mentions giving up drinking as it was making him more depressed and that boredom that you stse he has was making him more depressed. Some guys  may not have ridden a bike since they were kids but it is a good form of exercise and riding around seeing views, beaches,sunset pretty girls can uplift ones spirit as well as the exercise have a benefit on your body. I sometimes don't really feel like going out to ride but if wife is around she will pester  me to go but once I get out there heart pumping seeing the cute girls and breathing heavy it actually makes me feel better.

This covid era has caused people locked up alone for weeks to suffer depresion and suicide rates are up everywhere. I was an only child till 17 when my mother adopted some kids so I was used to being alone  when young and enetertaining myself but many people can't handle being alone, men are social creatures, enjoy company that's why guys like to go to a bar and drink rather than sit at home alone with a beer.

• Like 1

I live in a small city in Thailand, you will be surprised how easy it is to be come friends with the locals. I ride my bicycle, walk in the park, go to a coffee shop regularly, even Big C or Tesco, they will soon get used to seeing you around. Good luck and stay positive

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kerryd said:

go to bed almost every night thinking "didn't I just crawl out of here a couple hours ago"

I complained about the same thing to my wife...

She told me that's what happens when you sleep until 8 pm and then go to bed at 10 pm...  

On 6/20/2020 at 6:12 PM, Keyser Soze666 said:

But he's not 'depressed' is he, he is just bored. As for offering advice, absolutely no point as no one ever takes any notice of what anyone says anyway. You actually think that someone needs to be told about going out on a bike?? has the op even returned to this thread? As for not being able to predict the unfolding events..haha do behave,,

No offense, but you post like an emotionally scorned woman. The only 'tool' I see around here is YOU. 

Actually, the computer has made it possible for any of us to ask for advice on virtually any subject in the universe and expect a variety of responses (including yours). That said, this person asked a simple enough question and whether or not you realize it there are quite a few of us who took notice despite your disagreement. Some of us appreciate the thoughts we may not have considered on our own (for one reason or another) and the heartfelt assistance given. Whether or not the poster returns to the thread is not my concern, why should it be yours? You sir, are far too negative and seemingly self-absorbed for anyones good except for possibly your own, and that is your own shortcoming. Exhibiting a heart now and again may improve your outlook on things in general. But I may be expecting far too much, eh?

• Like 2

Where do you live ? Maybe some people around you can come and visit, play cards or whatever else ?

I live in Chiang Rai. If you are not far I can come to see you.

I know one american guy (65 old) here in Chiang Rai, he goes at the golf course, then come back home for drinking beer and smoking. He says he also feels depressed even if he has a beautiful girlfriend.

But I must agree, a girlfriend is better than stay alone.

I have felt similar. Seek medical help. At its worst, depression is a brain chemical issue and can be helped. Sometimes you need the medication to help you make the behavioral changes that help you overcome depression. Remember, you've endured trials and difficulties before in your life. You'll be able to handle this too. You will feel better at some point. But seek medical help now. It can be a life-saver.

If you like to read, I strongly recommend acquiring a Kindle ( I purchased mine on Lazada ). Then go to public domain library websites and download documents about things that interest you ( either download them in kindle file format (.mobi) or download in PDF and then later convert to kindle file format ).

This has made my life far more colorful. 

I really don't have any friends either. 

Having friends would mean less time with my Kindle. 

On 6/20/2020 at 11:19 PM, Ron jeremy said:

Sounds like the dream of Thailand is nothing of the sort. Move. Things don't seem to be going well for u.it can be a very boring place.

Moving will not fix his depression. Furthermore, you offer no suggestion where he should move to.

Congrats for stupidest post of the week.:clap2:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Jonathan Fairfield

By Jonathan Fairfield
04/16/2020

Are you in Thailand and feeling low? Need someone to talk to? Help is at hand

Whatever you are going through, the Samaritans are here for you.

How to contact Samaritans in Thailand

English language: 02-713-6791

Thai language:  02-713-6793

Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/Samaritans.Thailand/

On 6/20/2020 at 3:57 PM, Lacessit said:

Seek medical help.

You don't have to have friends in the flesh. Go on ThaiFriendly, and you will find thousands of Thai women who just want to chat online to improve their English. Of course, many do have other motives too.

Couple of points from someone that's been there, done that, got the T shirt.

Medics don't help. All they do is give drugs. If can afford get psychological help- a million times better than drugs that only suppress the problem.

Talking to people ( other than qualified psychologist ) isn't a solution. A real friend is the solution. How to find a real friend is the great mystery of my life as most of the people I thought were my friends turned out to be backstabbing b'tards.

BTW for the OP, alcohol is the worst thing to use when depressed. Just makes one even more depressed.

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1

On 6/24/2020 at 5:33 PM, worgeordie said:

Find a good wife, then you will be posting on here,

you have too much to do,they always find things for

you to fix,repair,keep you busy.

If you don't want a wife, get a dog

regards worgeordie

Get a dog, not a wife. Women caused all my real problems.  Good wife? Good luck finding one of those.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

I recomend you just try taking  2--400/500 MG Turmeric aka Curcumin Caps twice a day with meals  (can take up to 4 times a day) It's a natural herb/spice with these benefits. Need to take for at least a month as it needs time to build up in your system.

10 Proven Health Benefits of Turmeric and Curcumin

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/top-10-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-turmeric

Studies Show That Curcumin Has Incredible Benefits Against Depression

Curcumin has shown some promise in treating depression.

In a controlled trial, 60 people with depression were randomized into three groups (45Trusted Source).

One group took Prozac, another group one gram of curcumin and the third group both Prozac and curcumin.

After 6 weeks, curcumin had led to improvements that were similar to Prozac. The group that took both Prozac and curcumin fared best (45Trusted Source).

According to this small study, curcumin is as effective as an antidepressant.

Depression is also linked to reduced levels of brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) and a shrinking hippocampus, a brain area with a role in learning and memory.

Curcumin boosts BDNF levels, potentially reversing some of these changes (46).

There is also some evidence that curcumin can boost the brain neurotransmitters serotonin and dopamine (47, 48).

SUMMARYA study in 60 people with depression showed that curcumin was as effective as Prozac in alleviating symptoms of the condition.

108273056_292402202009333_1838952782916719362_n.jpg

It's my opinion, having been through it all, that most people that think they are depressed are not. Given a change in circumstances most would, IMO, not suffer the same feelings. More likely, IMO, that they are lonely, feeling worthless, or unlovable. If they should find the right person that would change. Drugs are of no real use in such situations, though illegal ones make all the problems go away.

Depression, IMO, is a chemical imbalance, and can be treated with drugs, if given the correct drugs in the right amount, but that requires a good Dr or psychiatrist, and how many of them are around?

Unfortunately most of us will never meet the right person and are doomed to a life of loneliness and sadness ( if we are honest with ourselves ). IMO that's why so many people take drugs, from alcohol to mj to hard drugs to LSD to try and stop feeling bad.

I certainly don't have the answer, but it's possible that mj will be legalised for recreational use in NZ, so perhaps I'll be able to just smoke my cares away in a year or two.

Unfortunately most of us will never meet the right person and are doomed to a life of loneliness and sadness ( if we are honest with ourselves ).

You shouldn't assume that those who never meet the right people are doomed to a life of loneliness and sadness.  I was married 3 times, always to the 'wrong' person.  Having finally ditched the last wife/GF some years ago, I have found absolute contentment living alone.  I live alone, but I'm not lonely ????

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Unfortunately most of us will never meet the right person and are doomed to a life of loneliness and sadness ( if we are honest with ourselves ). IMO that's why so many people take drugs, from alcohol to mj to hard drugs to LSD to try and stop feeling bad.

You can dump the 'wrong person' and still enjoy the company of the kids.

No need to be alone or lonely.

PS

I don't take drugs or alcohol because I feel bad, I take them because I enjoy the feelings they give me.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It's my opinion, having been through it all, that most people that think they are depressed are not. Given a change in circumstances most would, IMO, not suffer the same feelings. More likely, IMO, that they are lonely, feeling worthless, or unlovable. If they should find the right person that would change. Drugs are of no real use in such situations, though illegal ones make all the problems go away.

Depression, IMO, is a chemical imbalance, and can be treated with drugs, if given the correct drugs in the right amount, but that requires a good Dr or psychiatrist, and how many of them are around?

I certainly don't have the answer, but it's possible that mj will be legalised for recreational use in NZ, so perhaps I'll be able to just smoke my cares away in a year or two.

Loneliness? Cant buy wife?

As for depression i think goal orientation solves depression.

It needs to be something like this:

1. relationship/family 33%

2. work 33%

3. hobbies 33%

So, to deal depression, and to live:

-Make a goals in each area, and start accomplishing them.

-push hard, but dont kill yourself in the process. (unless you REALLY see that goal valuable. Like

example Navy Seal soldiers want to be Navy Seals so bad, that its not unusual that in their training process there is accidents that lead to death sometimes).

-example: 1, get a wife 2, do job you like 3. exercise/whatever you like, collect 1000 stamps if thats your thing..etc..

if there is obstacles in some of these areas, solve them. (example: like im trying to solve this wife part in my life, i have struggle with it constantly in my head how to do it, what are the unavoidable compromises i have to do, do i change my whole life and move to SE asia after a possibility to get a goodlooking young wife, or do i need to stay where i am and settle for a much more unsatisfactory situation...etc.).

Edited by Jjjjjjj

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Did you even read my post above to you concerning Turmeric? It states that Turmeric has the same postive effect as the prescription drug Prozak without the side effects. Just try taking 2 caps 2---4 times a day ( preferably with food) and see if it helps. What have you got to lose? Should be taken with bioperine = black pepper as it increases the absorbsion of the Turmeric.

I do not think that most of us on TV or in the world would say that we are doomed to never find the right person and live a life of loneliness and sadness as you state. Very pessimistic view of life.

Should not rely on another to make you happy.

https://medium.com/lady-vivra/never-rely-on-partner-for-these-5-things-eaac138bbb4a

Never rely on your partner for your happiness, your self-esteem, your important decisions, or your identity. Instead, drop that inner-critic and learn how to love yourself for who and what you are. Take responsibility for your own life, and spend time getting to know who you are and what you need in order to thrive

, In pursuit of happiness
First, understand why you need someone to make you happy. What does the person do exactly which makes you happy? There could be different explanations for this.

Usually, when someone wants to be with us or says that they love us, we feel happy. The reason is that we don’t love ourselves the way we love others. We are insecure about the way we look,our personality, our self-worth and several other things. That is why when someone says that they love us, we feel like we are worth it. Alternatively,sometimes people act as a medium for us to love ourselves. We either find someone in our own likeness or we find someone whose qualities we would like to have, and we love them instead. But both these reasons make you dependent on other people for happiness.

The organic way to deal with this is to accept ourselves the way we are, and work on things which we think we should improve. But, that’s not an easy task. It is a daily exercise which requires discipline and determination. Most people don’t even consider this option, and move to the easy way. But this happiness is not long lasting as it ends the moment the person leaves. Even, if the person is still with us, we need constant affirmations of love from them to make us feel happy. It is like a bottom less pit which can never be filled and will always leave you yearning for more.

If truly want to enjoy being with people, you have to start with being able to be happy by yourself first. I know this seems like a cliche and is repeated so often, but it is true. Once, you become comfortable by yourself, then you can truly appreciate people for what they are and not because of the service they provide. It leads to healthier and more meaningful relationships, that won’t leave you devastated when they end. Practicing self-love is not easy, and might take a lot of effort, but the rewards are immense.

“If you can’t love yourself, how the hell are you gonna love somebody else” - RuPaul