Pattaya: Yearlong police foot dragging; Brit pensioner, 80 turns to the media after 350K theft by "uni student"

webfact

7 hours ago, Kerryd said:

I can image where he's at now though. Maybe broke. Maybe with just a small pension. Probably nothing (and no one) back home so no where to go and couldn't afford to live there if he did go back. 

Keep polishing it.   The crystal ball, I mean.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

I wonder if everything was all legal in regards to the boys age and what services were provided ?

Why would you wonder about that, or even just bring it up.  How old would you expect a university student to be, are you suggesting that he could be underage?

Is there anything that prevents someone having a legitimate platonic friendship with another person, whatever their age, without paedophile insinuations?

Edited by Bob A Kneale
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, smedly said:

what do you define as an old fart - over 50 60 70 80, how long before you become an "Old Fart"

disrespectful nonsense

When I was 18 I did not like old farts.

I am 69 now and I still don't like old farts.

It is a matter of definition....

(not the "old" part, but the "fart" part)

8 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

You don't think men are constantly giving women money? monthly salary or allowance? buying motorbike? car? house up country? maybe you don't live in Thailand

Is "sponsor " on the tip of your tongue? It's a gesture one makes to pledge your love for for a girl who,s differant.

Edited by kingdong

11 hours ago, Bob A Kneale said:

Well, as it's you who chooses that level of security, why suggest that it's not up to par?

It's up to par personally for me. Because I am not that old and I don't fool around with boys who want my money.

9 hours ago, pineapple01 said:

Being an old fart i dont read the headings properly. Going by all the posts assumed it was a Kings Ransom, not the price of a Mini Car.

The loss of 350K is only slightly over $10K US. Its really not that big. The old guy must be on limited resources. If someone is living on limited resources and qualifying their vis on 800K in the bank, they best lock it up. 

The headlines on TVF frequently go over the top.

24 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

The loss of 350K is only slightly over $10K US. Its really not that big. The old guy must be on limited resources. If someone is living on limited resources and qualifying their vis on 800K in the bank, they best lock it up. 

The headlines on TVF frequently go over the top.

I agree.The best one recently is the Nong Nooch bleat over entry fees.Made me  squirm anyway.????

22 hours ago, Kerryd said:

Maybe they were trying to give the impression that they "trusted" the girls or maybe they were just stupid.

Yes, men seem to make the burden of showing affection easier with acts of trust or generosity. Too many times I see a guy at an ATM with some 'partner' hanging on at the side with a view of proceedings.

Edited by jacko45k

9 minutes ago, checkered flag said:

From someone who has been there.

Wrong..... but I know many who have. Why make such dumb presumptive  and irritating posts?

Edited by jacko45k
  • Sad 1

22 hours ago, ezzra said:

A lot more to this story than what meet the eye I'm sure...

Exactly. But I made it as far as your post, and asked myself why I am reading this stupid news article. The 80 year old should just jump of a balcony, or into the thief's butthole.

• Thanks 1

On 6/23/2020 at 9:01 AM, ThreeEyedRaven said:

He obviously didn't have enough left to pay them to get off their butts and do their jobs. Cops in Thailand are an utter disgrace.

Pattaya's more than most.  I was present when a fat get in Dong Tan police station asked for 10K to move on a stolen car despite the culprit being in the room having been 'arrested' by family members.

I use the Krung Thai Next app. It gives dangerously easy access to one's account and bank transfers. A few taps and your money is off. Others have mentioned fingerprint scanning, but my phone doesn't have it. I do have a 7 digit PIN to get into my phone. After that, once in the app, a different PIN is required to get into the account and transfers.

One also must make sure they're completely out of the app in two steps. First, log out of the account by tapping the "power" icon, then confirm exiting out of the app with the back button, and its "are you sure?" message. It'd be quite easy to just go to the home screen, or another app, and think the app is closed. Which is how the classic "Facebook hack" happens. Let someone else use your phone or computer, you forgot you're still in Facebook, and they've got access to all your dirty laundry, haha.

The poor fellow likely still had his app open, or his young friend had caught sight of the PIN, after he had nodded off or went to use the toilet or whatever, through the course of their "relationship". Let's hope it was worth it.

I have 3 bank accounts in Thailand, but only one ATM card, the balance on the card is never above 10000 baht.  Make smaller transfers instead and avoid BIG problems. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, balo said:

I have 3 bank accounts in Thailand, but only one ATM card, the balance on the card is never above 10000 baht.  Make smaller transfers instead and avoid BIG problems. 

A 10k baht withdrawal is certainly minimum for me. I usually withdraw 30-40K at a time. Just putting fuel in the car is almost 2K. Since Macro wants cash that 2-3K as well.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, stephenterry said:
On 6/23/2020 at 6:41 PM, Bob A Kneale said:

So what, how does your speculation about his private life affect the fraud/theft?

Clearly, because it could be linked as to the why the theft occurred. 

Only by those with an over-active and vindictive imagination.

3 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:

Clearly an 80 year old getting involved with a college student in his early 20's is a big red flag. I know that some old Brits can't find companionship in the UK and come to Thailand to prey on youth. They complain when a bar girl cleans them out or in this case a young guy. What do they think is the attraction? It certainly isn't love or a long life together. If  one party has plenty of cash the other party might see them as an attractive source for income. If you don't have it don't play the game.

Another issue is that the Brits have, seems the pound has taken a nose drive and their finances are stretched. They really need to go home if they can't afford to stay. 

4 minutes ago, checkered flag said:
21 minutes ago, Bob A Kneale said:

Clearly an 80 year old getting involved with a college student in his early 20's is a big red flag.

So what?  Even if it were a fact, that doesn't justify the theft! 

Gratuitous insinuations about the old man by Thaivisa members who know nothing about him at all are irrelevant and uncalled for.

• Haha 1