BOT sees dark cloud of 8% contraction looming over economy

webfact

BOT sees dark cloud of 8% contraction looming over economy

By The Nation

800_02645b319b15e80.jpeg?v=1593012602

Titanun Malikamas, secretary to BOT’s Monetary Policy Committee (MPC)

Thailand’s economy this year will contract 8.1 per cent, its worst point ever, because the Covid-19 crisis has had a greater impact on both the Kingdom’s and global economy, says the Bank of Thailand (BOT).

The central bank on Wednesday (June 24) revised downward its economic growth forecast to 8.1 per cent contraction from minus 5.3 per cent it previously forecast due to the Covid-19 fallout having a greater impact that expected, said Titanun Malikamas, secretary to BOT’s Monetary Policy Committee (MPC).

In a meeting on Wednesday, the MPC decided to leave the key policy rate unchanged at 0.5 per cent as expected. 

Titanun said that Thailand’s exports and tourism in particular will be hit harder than previously estimated. 

The MPC also revised downward its GDP projection for 2021 to 3 per cent from 5 per cent growth it forecast earlier. 

This year, exports are expected to contract 10.3 per cent compared to a previous estimate of an 8.8 per cent shrinkage as the global economy has also been hit hard by the crisis, he said. Imports, meanwhile, are expected to fall 16.2 per cent from 15 per cent. 

Private consumption will contract 3.6 per cent from 1.5 per cent, private investment will plunge 13 per cent from 4.3 per cent, while headline inflation will fall to minus 1.7 per cent from minus 1 per cent forecast earlier. The price of crude oil is currently averaging at $35.1 a barrel. 

Thailand this year will only see 8 million foreign tourists from the previously estimated 15 million, compared to 40 million last year. More tourists are expected to arrive in the latter half of 2021, on the assumption that Covid-19 vaccine is widely available. 

“The central bank has not yet taken into account the possibility of a second wave of Covid-19. If that happens, there is a high risk of further downward projection,” he said, adding that a loosening of the monetary policy since early this year and the government’s fiscal expansion should help the economy to some extent. 

Don Nakornthab, a senior director at BOT, said the 8.1 per cent contraction this year is the deepest in history. Even during the 1997 financial crisis, the economy contracted 7.6 per cent. 

“Economic contraction in the second quarter may hit double digits, before the economy starts to recover slowly,” Don said. 

As for financial stability, it has become more fragile in line with the falling economy. Banks are leading more to big businesses, as they are switching from issuing debentures to taking loans. However, loans to small- and medium-sized businesses and individuals has slowed down.

Hence, he said, the MPC has to make sure affected businesses and households have access to loans. 

The baht, which usually has the tendency to be weaker than major foreign currencies, is strengthening because the US dollar is weakening.

Meanwhile central banks across the world have implemented quantitative easing (QE) measures, which are bound to encourage large and volatile flows of capital, especially in Thailand. The central bank will closely monitor this and take necessary action where the exchange rate is concerned, as a strong baht will further hurt the export market, he said. 

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/business/30390234

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-06-25

6 minutes ago, jumbo said:

I work on one of the Industrial estates in Thailand and my thai family one another one in Ayutthaya

Lots of companies in my IE have been laying of staff and 30% has not reopened. The company I work for has 1,400 workers and staff suspended and no clear view on when they restart

In Ayutthaya the family that works in factory have been laid off, indefinitily

In Korat, where another family member lives and works, factories are partly reopening in July

What is your source??

Talking with the people around me in my BKK village. Also my friend who works at a big Thai company. They all started again. Markets in full swing. So that is my source. I believe what you say to its different all over Thailand. 

12 minutes ago, Trillian said:

And exports which have a reporting time lag.

Yes seems logical that exports will take a hit too. I mean other economies are taking a hit so export will take a hit too as client wont have money.

My wife's company  , which export finished stainless steel products

is hoping to work at 1/2 of previous numbers.

150 or so jobs hanging  with hopes of global building to resume.

I don't see a good future for it in the coming 2 or 3 years.

Most restaurants need customers to much, to worry about

capital improvements. 

Besides the whole world is trying to attract the contracting pool

of very rich tourist and second home buyers to their doors.

Sooner or later those medium and super rich will be taxed to pay down

huge debts incurred by nations trying to survive right now.

Lack of people to tax will lead to super inflation as countries try

printing money as a way out of debt.

The future is not a rosy picture for anyone.

I read where Thailand is trying hard not incur debt, which is 

good for the country's standing but not so great for those

out of work.

National debt either has to work or it fails and situation

is worse than ever.

Edited by PatchinExPat
made mistakes in trying to type this out,
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, robblok said:

Talking with the people around me in my BKK village. Also my friend who works at a big Thai company. They all started again. Markets in full swing. So that is my source. I believe what you say to its different all over Thailand. 

This could be stimulus money supplied by the various countries around the world.

Or just the same money being churned over and over.

Neither produces long term growth.

• Like 1

Just now, ExpatOilWorker said:

Even if household debt levels stay constant it will jump from 80 to 87% of GDP, just because GDP is falling.

Yes that is true.. but I would be more worried about NPL then household debts. 

16 minutes ago, robblok said:

Yes that is true.. but I would be more worried about NPL then household debts. 

It is like saying you are more worried about getting wet than the tsunami, while you arrange your deck chair on the beach in Phuket a sunny boxing day morning. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, jumbo said:

I work on one of the Industrial estates in Thailand and my thai family one another one in Ayutthaya

Lots of companies in my IE have been laying of staff and 30% has not reopened. The company I work for has 1,400 workers and staff suspended and no clear view on when they restart

In Ayutthaya the family that works in factory have been laid off, indefinitily

In Korat, where another family member lives and works, factories are partly reopening in July

What is your source??

Your observations are supported by a falling industrial electricity consumption in 2020:

January: 6,889 Down 1.3%

February: 6,903 Up 2.5%

March: 7,386 Down 4.8%

April: 6,450 Down 7.1%

Business electricity consumption is down by a whopping 25.5% in April 2020.

Unit = Gwh

• Like 1

I am not a real expert on the forex market but I do know the slip from 32.5 to 21.xx of the Aussie dollar to Thai baht is more the fault of bad decisions in Australia than the trend here in Thailand.  The result of decisions of corrupt or inept fools has cost ordinary Aussies many millions of dollars in losses. But that doesn't explain how the baht is, it would seem, artificially high. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bert bloggs said:

Well the pound is dropping against the Baht, so less pension for us .

And that's only going to get worse now that the communists are out on the streets and the UK Government looks weak and vulnerable.

I predict 30thb to the GBP this time next year. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

4 hours ago, robblok said:

Yes seems logical that exports will take a hit too. I mean other economies are taking a hit so export will take a hit too as client wont have money.

Our son must be lucky ,he runs a small company exporting and importing ,only about a dozen employes ,but they have been doing ok ,in fact the owner ,who lives out of the country is expanding .also my daughter in the UK has done far more during the crises owing to the fact shops have ben closed and she gets most of her business off the internet

19 minutes ago, Grumpy John said:

I am not a real expert on the forex market but I do know the slip from 32.5 to 21.xx of the Aussie dollar to Thai baht is more the fault of bad decisions in Australia than the trend here in Thailand.  The result of decisions of corrupt or inept fools has cost ordinary Aussies many millions of dollars in losses. But that doesn't explain how the baht is, it would seem, artificially high. 

It is not that the Baht is high, THB has remained largely flat but other countries currencies have lost value against it, that may change however.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Well, we could squeeze out some more money at immigration from our foreign retirees...????

What is a retiree? You mean tourists which are not allowed to enter altogether 555 ?

7 hours ago, Trillian said:

And exports which have a reporting time lag.

Thai Exports have been reported as being down a massive 22.5 % Y on Y for May.

Many more Months of figures like these and Thai GDP down 8.1 % is going down the crapper as well.

A tough time ahead for the Thai Economy, as well as for many others around the Globe.