Custom threaded steel bar?

Crossy

I have a requirement for 2 off 6m x 20mm diameter round steel bars with 0.5m of each end threaded M18 or M20.

Before heading out to my friendly local steel outlet does anyone know if they can generally even do this kind of thing themselves?

I'm 100% certain they will know where to go to get it done, just wondering if anyone had actually had an order of this kind fulfilled.

Before anyone asks I need to prevent two walls splaying apart, going to bolt through from one side to the other with spreader plates on each end (like the steel "+" on this house). No, it's not our home that has the issue, our gate posts have been gradually moving off vertical over the years, need to stop it now.

Repairing-Walls-X-Iron-Tie-Bars.jpg

Your local steel outlet will probably not be able to do this threading for you.

An M20 thread over that length of 0.5 Metre will need either a Large capacity Die Box, or the thread will have to be rolled ( which is stronger ).

Maybe a large CNC Lathe can cut the thread, but the overall length of 6 M would be an issue.

I would suggest you look at an Engineering Facility that has large capacity Machine tools - such as a Boiler Making place Etc,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crossy said:

I have a requirement for 2 off 6m x 20mm diameter round steel bars with 0.5m of each end threaded M18 or M20.

You may find that it’s better to thread 4 (+ a couple of extras) short sections then weld them onto the ends of the 6 metre bars. A competent welder will be able to do a good job and competent welders are not difficult to find.

I'll check Global for the big couplers if I can't get the rod threaded. MegaHome had M20 rod but no couplers of that size.

I do have a couple of backup plans (it's always best to have a Plan B or C).

• Like 1

If not solved yet and you know where your local steel supplier and local machine shop is then easy. 

Steel comes in 6m lengths. Transport of anything much over 2.5m is difficult. So get it cut 2m and threaded at local m/c shop. 

There are a few other ways but i suspect it may have to have aesthetic properties?

It's not done yet, something else has come up.

If I can get the stuff threaded it needs to be in one 6m length, the steel shop can transport, so they will have to get it done.

I've got a couple of alternative plans which, whilst they involve my welding, don't put much actual tensile stress on the welds.