Local Thai Logic

moose7117

22 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

That is just the way it works here,, False pricing is endemic in Big C and Tesco, where the price on the shelf's often bear no resemblance to the price on the bar code. I don't even check anymore, its pointless. It's not unusual, so it's Caveat Emptor,  buyer beware' !

If they charge more at checkout than priced on the shelf in Big C they have to take the lower price. I've been in that situation so true.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, genericptr said:

Then the sale was fraudulent. Any sane business would apologize and try to correct the situation.

Consumers need to be aware at all times.  I am sure if the bill showed only 100 baht for each drink, no comment would have ever been made of being undercharged and the proprietor made aware of the mistake...tell me I am wrong. If I am to believe what you wrote, then if I took a menu home from a year ago and returned with it and ordered from it thinking the prices were the same who is at fault. just like ordering from an old menu on-line or calling in your order based upon the old menu you have....

Edited by ThailandRyan

Obviously the OP is right, but I am always amazed at how cheap prices are in Thailand, how moderate. I have eaten for 60 baht and it was a delicious meal, you can't do that anywhere in Europe really. 

Thailand has to be the place where I feel least gouged on price. I think Thais are extremely moderate with pricing.

Even with housing, I live in a super luxury house with pool for very modest rent. It's quite amazing.

The only disappointment was when I went to a cafe once to have breakfast and the menu said "eggs over easy" as a specific choice. When I ordered it the eggs were anything but over easy. Ordered another fried egg. Again, not over easy. I called the waiter and explained what "over easy" means by reference to google on the phone. All smiles but I doubt they got it. Then I don't feel like paying at all, but of course I do. It's still cheap. It's always cheap.  Even when you go to an expensive place you get so much more than you do in Europe. I still see Thailand as excellent value.

1 hour ago, Pilotman said:

That is just the way it works here,, False pricing is endemic in Big C and Tesco, where the price on the shelf's often bear no resemblance to the price on the bar code. I don't even check anymore, its pointless. It's not unusual, so it's Caveat Emptor,  buyer beware' !

At Big C and Tesco, if a price is in doubt, you can at least check it at the “ check price barcode reader” before you go to pay.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Had you known rule #1 you'd have asked for chek bin for each drink. That way you'd have known after the first drink they were ripping you off. If they don't like it, tough.

I can't even count the number of times I was scammed, ripped off, extorted in LOS, but all pale into insignificance compared to being ripped off by my darling western beloved when we split up.

Life is <deleted> and then we die. For a quiet life pay up, move on and never go back.

Was the OP's wife with him? If so why was he paying? It's normal practice for the wife to pay ( even if with hubby's money ). That way the scams get stopped before they start. If the wife won't sort the scams what use is she?

It was a pub that served food and I had been there many times before to eat with friends and family.

I don't know rule #1, but I am not going to ask for the bill every time they come with a beer for me, a glass of wine for the missus, the food for me, the food for the missus, the dessert and so on.

My rule #1 is to get a final bill and pay by credit card.

3 hours ago, Grumpy one said:

Its a couple of hundred baht, not your life savings

Write the overcharge off as a tip, then go out and get a life.

Yes, that´s the trick of places like this. They do it with many customers per day, expect that the customers do what you recommended and make a lot of money beside. 

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

If they charge more at checkout than priced on the shelf in Big C they have to take the lower price. I've been in that situation so true.

Yes, we often complain and get the money refunded. The missus will complain even if it is 5 baht.

Big C used to give you the product free when they made a mistake with the pricing, but that practice stopped years ago. I guess they lost too much money.

• Like 1

How is your wife being pressured? In what way is it affecting her life? If it were me, I would double down, and start writing more posts in Thai, about how they are attempting to pressure you into removing the post. Thievery is first nature for some, but facing the consequences, is another thing altogether. Pay the piper! A restaurant that practices gangland dining is not worthy of support. Do everything in your power to shut them down!

In my case, I always argue the bill before paying. Show them the menu, and pay what you think is right. I have been to Japanese restaurants in Bangkok, by myself, ordered three dishes and one beer, and been charged 5,000 baht, for 18 dishes. They refused to change the bill. I made such a scene, the manager got involved, and it still took five revisions of the bill for them to get it right, and it took an hour. I was screaming, and so was the manager. It was like war. It was obviously a clip joint, accustomed to dealing with very inebriated Japanese with deep pockets. I do not play that game. The manager was so incensed that I was not willing to go along with their scam, she followed me out, and cursed me out in the street. It was very amusing. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Grumpy one said:

Its a couple of hundred baht, not your life savings

Write the overcharge off as a tip, then go out and get a life.

I agree.With the overcharge you would have obviously not left a tip so look at it as a tip.Apologise for your partners sake because you can’t win even if you are right and people have been successfully sued over trivial matters such as this.Find a new restaurant and suck it up .

3 hours ago, cyril sneer said:

disgusting greedy behaviour, especially with no tourists around

You want greed, friend of  mine is  selling his  condo, has a  buyer the price is  very cheap, the juristic  office want 400k of the sale  price which is 4.7  million + 1  months rent + some other commission to be taken off another agent also. Their greed  is  just disgusting.

• Confused 1

i paid at the time as to avoid any ruckus and have since deleted facebook post.

It just goes to show the differing opinions that you get from the rubbish we have to deal with.

I shall never be gracing them with my presence again and from now on shall drink in Restaurant next door to them.

The Thainess displayed by them, and we live in a rather small town, even when dealing with other Thai's beggars belief.

After 12 years here you would think i would know better.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, moose7117 said:

i paid at the time as to avoid any ruckus and have since deleted facebook post.

It just goes to show the differing opinions that you get from the rubbish we have to deal with.

I shall never be gracing them with my presence again and from now on shall drink in Restaurant next door to them.

The Thainess displayed by them, and we live in a rather small town, even when dealing with other Thai's beggars belief.

After 12 years here you would think i would know better.

Eggsactly  put it down to experience something new here every day. I encountered farang bias for the first time a few days ago I went to the local province lands office with wife who had to do business there. I waited outside in the garden area a Thai ahole.who parked his car in the handicap spot bounced out nothing obviously handicapped or so I thought. I walked past him probably 2-3 metres away he started waving me on. Wife finished her business in lands office the ahole walked closely past the Thai people waiting where I was but when he got near to me he took a 4-5 metre wide berth of where I was standing (farang virus).Yes I was wearing mask I haven’t been out fo country for at least a year I made sure he heard the fn idiot as he walked past and I said to Thai wife “the ahole parked in the handicapped car space she said yes that’s probably why he parked there he’s not 100%  ????

7 hours ago, Lacessit said:

If I get overcharged or have poor food/service, I say nothing. I pay and walk away, never to return.

Sure if they don't listen or nobody complains then nothing is done, but as many of you say "i'll never go back".  The service provider doesn't care at first but eventually customer numbers will decrease and they will start to feel the pain.

I teach Service Quality Management to International Hotel management students and one of the main points is that they should listen to complaints to improve their customer satisfaction and keep the good customers.