Princeton to drop Woodrow Wilson's name from school

rooster59

1 minute ago, Bluespunk said:

No, I don’t think so.

Never forget. 

History is there to ensure we don’t. 

Granted.  

But surely taking care of improving our future from today's standpoint is far more sensible and rewarding.

What are you doing to make the world a better place in our current universe?

11 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

Granted.  

But surely taking care of improving our future from today's standpoint is far more sensible and rewarding.

What are you doing to make the world a better place in our current universe?

I think renaming buildings that are named after those who enforced segregation and removing statues of slavers is making the world a better place. 

As to what I’m doing to make the world a better place, that’s off topic here and not for this thread. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

No, I don’t think so.

Never forget. 

History is there to ensure we don’t. 

That seems to be the rub in the US. On the one hand, we're supposed to remove statues and monuments and erase certain people from history, On the other hand, we are constantly reminded about history. It seems to me the people making these silly demands and vandalizing public property are absolutely nuts.

11 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

I’m a primary school teacher, ensuring children receive an education that enables them to think and question. 

I don't want to be offensive but I'm glad you're not teaching my children.  You don't appear to be an enabler of thought and question.  

Reading your posts suggests to me that there's only one way and that's your way.  You're definitely not the person you promote. 

Edited by torturedsole

1 minute ago, Crazy Alex said:

That seems to be the rub in the US. On the one hand, we're supposed to remove statues and monuments and erase certain people from history, On the other hand, we are constantly reminded about history. It seems to me the people making these silly demands and vandalizing public property are absolutely nuts.

No one is being erased from history. The record of what happened is there for all to study. 

• Sad 1

Just now, torturedsole said:

I don't want to be offensive but I'm glad you're not teaching my children.  You don't appear to be an enabler of thought and question.  

Reading you posts suggests to me that there's only one way and that's your way.  You're definitely not the person you promote. 

And yet offensive you proceed to be.  

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

No one is being erased from history. The record of what happened is there for all to study.

Wow, then all this vandalism is being done just for the sake of destroying. That's even worse than what I thought it was.

• Sad 1

Just now, Crazy Alex said:

Wow, then all this vandalism is being done just for the sake of destroying. That's even worse than what I thought it was.

No, the statues being removed are being removed as they celebrate and revere those responsible for vile acts, vile acts that are revealed through a study of the historical record. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

No, the statues being removed are being removed as they celebrate and revere those responsible for vile acts, vile acts that are revealed through a study of the historical record. 

Got it. So vandalism of public property is OK as long as you vandalize according to what leftists are butt hurt about.

3 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

If it's not vandalising statues then what do you propose?

I support the removal of the statues of those responsible for vile actions,  such as slavers and those who enforced segregation, and renaming of buildings of such individuals. 

Therefore I applaud Princeton’s actions. 

Now I’ve answered your questions so far. Still waiting on a reply to mine. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Thanks 1

I support the removal of the statues of those responsible for vile actions,  such as slavers and those who enforced segregation, and renaming of buildings of such individuals.

Surely every single monument, shrine and statue has some dubious past.

Have you investigated every single monument, shrine and statue to ensure compliance with your views?

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

Surely every single monument, shrine and statue has some dubious past.

Have you investigated every single monument, shrine and statue to ensure compliance with your views?

Answer my question first please. 

Answer my question first please. 

What question?  It's so vague that it's hard to keep up.  But please succinctly pose your question again and I'll try to answer.  

Anyway, and this is far easier to answer, how are you going to complete your audit of every last monument, shrine and statue on the planet.  Every single one of them is linked to a dubious history.  

Nelson Mandela statue?  He was a convicted terrorist.  Gandhi wasn't perfect by any means.  

What is your point? 

9 minutes ago, torturedsole said:

What question?  It's so vague that it's hard to keep up.  But please succinctly pose your question again and I'll try to answer.  

Anyway, and this is far easier to answer, how are you going to complete your audit of every last monument, shrine and statue on the planet.  Every single one of them is linked to a dubious history.  

Nelson Mandela statue?  He was a convicted terrorist.  Gandhi wasn't perfect by any means.  

What is your point? 

Yeah right, you don’t remember, sure. 

I have no audit but put a case to me and I’ll think on it, but you should understand I’m not leading or starting any particular campaign...though as far as I’m concerned if a statue glorifies someone whose actions are such that they deserve to be reviled for what they did...I have no problem with taking it down. 

Let the historical record speak, fund museums, explore the past and what happened there.

Never forget the evil done and certainly don’t celebrate those responsible. 

Edited by Bluespunk