Applying for Certificate of Entry and visa

I will apply for a COE at the Thai embassy in London. I think I can jump through their somewhat crazy and arbitrary hoops as they stand.

The thing I find unclear is the the type of visa I will need to enter once I get the COE. As I work offshore, it was no biggie to enter on the visa exempt stamp and get extensions as required prior to COVID. I am married to a Thai national and have a child in Thailand.

It looks like I have to apply for a visa online now, I used to get the non-immigrant 'O' type based on marriage, whenever it was convenient for me, if I was passing through UK, but now the online form only allows me to apply for O-A type. Where I get stuck is the insurance requirement. I have excellent insurance through my employers, but not from any of the companies based on that list, and I doubt I will get my insurance to fill out the insurance certificate that is required. 

So can I still apply for a multi entry non 'O' visa, or is that option now gone? All I see on the Thai embassy website are single entry variants. 

My plan is to get in on the single entry non 'O', assuming I get the fabled COE, and then apply for what is popularly called a 'marriage visa', I don't know the correct name, but I know I can apply for it once in Thailand.

Does the plan make sense? Is the multi entry non immigrant 'O' type really gone for good?

Edited by longway

You can only apply for a single entry non-o visa based upon marriage to a Thai. They stopped issuing multiple entry non-o visa a year ago at the embassy.

After entering you could apply for a 60 day extension or a one year extension based upon marriage.

That the visa application might be part of the process to get the permission to enter and would be applied for at the embassy. I am not sure they are issuing any visa now other than those that qualify to enter the country.

• Like 2

Where do you apply for the CoE ? 

I’ve e-mail the Thai Embassy in London to ask this, no response. 

I’ve had a friend call their contact at the Thai Embassy in London, I was told that there is no way to apply at the moment (could have been mistaken information). 

Thus: is there a ‘check list’ of required on the Thai Embassy London Website? I can’t find any. 

What contact have you been e-mailing? 

I didn’t get any reply from: [email protected]

15 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I’ve had a friend call their contact at the Thai Embassy in London, I was told that there is no way to apply at the moment (could have been mistaken information). 

Thus: is there a ‘check list’ of required on the Thai Embassy London Website? I can’t find any. 

I've not applied yet, I plan to visit the embassy next Wednesday and get the ball going.

You should email this address: [email protected]

This was their reply: 

Dear Sir/Madame,

Thank you for your inquiry, you can apply for the Certificate of Entry. You are required to submit all documents requested for an approval as follows, 

1.  Copy of Passport
  2.  Proof of Marriage to Thai wife
  3.  Covid-Free Health Certificate (Fit to Fly)
  4.  Health Insurance covering Covid19 at least 100,000 us dollars
  5.  Covid test
  6.  Flight Ticket
  7.  Alternative State Booking
  8.  Declaration form of consent to be quarantined for 14 days.

Once we received all these document, we will send a request for an approval to the government. We cannot tell how long the approval will take. 

Please note that the Covid19 test and fit to fly letter need to be dated not more than 72 hours before travelling.

Its crazy that I have to book my flight (are there flights?) and ASQ prior to application. And why do they need a fit to fly and COVID test at this stage?

I asked for clarification on these points and suggested that I send in documents pertaining to 1,2, 4, and 8 and get my application started, but I got no reply. So will visit in person I see what they say.

Anyway this is all I can show you. Happy to keep the forum updated as I get further down the process.

Edited by longway
  • Thanks 2

The Embassy is by appointment only,  did you get an appointment?, the embassy website says visa services suspended, i'm not having a go, just wondering if the info on the website is wrong, i never received a reply to my email,  hope it works out for you

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

[email protected]

1 hour ago, longway said:

I have excellent insurance through my employers, but not from any of the companies based on that list, and I doubt I will get my insurance to fill out the insurance certificate that is required. 

What list?

25 minutes ago, howerde said:

The Embassy is by appointment only,  did you get an appointment?, the embassy website says visa services suspended, i'm not having a go, just wondering if the info on the website is wrong, i never received a reply to my email,  hope it works out for you

I have not seen where it says its by appointment only. According to their website, they will resume normal working hours from 1st July. I did send an email to the consular officer earlier asking if I can come in to talk about applying for a COE, but have not had a reply yet.

Edited by longway

18 minutes ago, stubuzz said:

I think this Is regular O-A insurance not COVID insurance?

Yes, that what I was referring to in my original post that you quoted. I have health insurance that covers COVID through my employer.

2 hours ago, longway said:

I have not seen where it says its by appointment only. According to their website, they will resume normal working hours from 1st July. I did send an email to the consular officer earlier asking if I can come in to talk about applying for a COE, but have not had a reply yet.

I think the Thai embassy in London is only open for Thai nationals only

This excludes the visa service for foreigners which will resume after revocation of various travel bans by the Thai authorities in Bangkok.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/organize

1 hour ago, vinny41 said:

I think the Thai embassy in London is only open for Thai nationals only

This excludes the visa service for foreigners which will resume after revocation of various travel bans by the Thai authorities in Bangkok.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/london/en/organize

If that's the case I will just send in all the stuff in by email and hope for the best.

I got everything I need except the covid test and fit to fly cert, which I can get soon. I hope its not the case as I want them to give me guidance on getting my documents right and rescinding the sillier requirements. All they need is my marriage cert, some demonstration of residence in thailand and id docs, whats the point of the rest?

I even booked a turkish airways flight to bkk, I doubt it actually flies, but that what they have on the list. 

44 minutes ago, longway said:

All they need is my marriage cert, some demonstration of residence in thailand and id docs, whats the point of the rest?

You're aware that your application goes straight to Thailand without any input from the U.K. embassy, right?

The embassy should have created an online application form with all the required fields and link it to the acceptance office in Thailand (e.g. Thai embassy in U.S. application).

I don't know why it hasn't been done yet, maybe they're just working out the details.

The embassy serves as a relaying point between you and the decision makers in Thailand.

If the Thai staff don't like something about you, your submitted docs or need more info they'll contact your local embassy/consulate which in turn will let you know what they need to complete the application to their liking.

When they approve your application in Thailand only then your local embassy will take your case over to guide you through the final arrangements.

Edited by unheard

17 minutes ago, unheard said:

You're aware that your application goes straight to Thailand without any input from the U.K. embassy, right?

The embassy should have created an online application form with all the required fields and link it to the acceptance office in Thailand (e.g. the U.S. embassy application).

I don't know why it hasn't been done yet, maybe they're just working out the details.

The embassy serves as a relaying point between you and the decision makers in Thailand.

If the Thai staff don't like something about you, your submitted docs or need more info they'll contact your local embassy/consulate which in turn will let you know what they need to complete the application to their liking.

When they approve your application in Thailand only then your local embassy will take your case over to guide you through the final arrangements.

Yes, the entirety of my guidance was the email quoted in full in a previous post, which included a pdf to fill out. I hope they are working on something; as things stand its as clear as mud. Generally the staff in the consulate will know what the ministry expects, so will hopefully point out any shortcomings in my docs, that the theory anyway. If they don't then I just send everything in and hope for the best.

The requirement to have a ASQ and flight booked is illogical and having a COVID test and fit to fly cert, pointless. I am hoping they have something more sensible to say if I get a chance to meet face to face, and if they don't then I know more than I do now to make an assessment on the situation. 

Edited by longway

1 hour ago, longway said:

Yes, the entirety of my guidance was the email quoted in full in a previous post, which included a pdf to fill out. I hope they are working on something; as things stand its as clear as mud. Generally the staff in the consulate will know what the ministry expects, so will hopefully point out any shortcomings in my docs, that the theory anyway. If they don't then I just send everything in and hope for the best.

The requirement to have a ASQ and flight booked is illogical and having a COVID test and fit to fly cert, pointless. I am hoping they have something more sensible to say if I get a chance to meet face to face, and if they don't then I know more than I do now to make an assessment on the situation. 

Logical or not, they have told you what is required. I have the impression that there are more people wishing to return than can be accommodated. If you send through a partial application (equivalent to what would be required to apply for a single entry Non O visa in normal times) you make it easy for them to deny your application. It is much easier for them than having to decide which valid applications they need to defer approval of.

For what it is worth, I can see logic in telling them the flight and quarantine facility you will be using when making your application. The Thai authorities need to be sure they can handle the logistics, and not knowing which quarantine facility you will be using, and when, complicates their job.

25 minutes ago, BritTim said:

If you send through a partial application (equivalent to what would be required to apply for a single entry Non O visa in normal times) you make it easy for them to deny your application. It is much easier for them than having to decide which valid applications they need to defer approval of.

Judging by the Thai Embassy in the U.S. application portal it's not possible to submit a partial application.

All required fields are marked and the page will not allow you to submit the application until you fill them all.

Also I don't think that they will deny applications.

The unapproved ones will just sit there until you submit, re-submit all required documents the way they want them.

When necessary the staff in Thailand contact the applicants through the local embassies/consulates with requests to update their applications through the personalized links that are sent to the applicants' contact email as an acknowledgement of submitted application.

49 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Logical or not, they have told you what is required. I have the impression that there are more people wishing to return than can be accommodated. If you send through a partial application (equivalent to what would be required to apply for a single entry Non O visa in normal times) you make it easy for them to deny your application. It is much easier for them than having to decide which valid applications they need to defer approval of.

For what it is worth, I can see logic in telling them the flight and quarantine facility you will be using when making your application. The Thai authorities need to be sure they can handle the logistics, and not knowing which quarantine facility you will be using, and when, complicates their job.

You misunderstand, I am not proposing to send in a partial application. I want to speak to the embassy staff to make sure my application has the best possible chance of being accepted, though I hope that the requirement for a COVID test and fit to fly cert at the time of applying for a COE is rescinded because it is pointless and a needless expense, as I will have to do both again prior to boarding my flight, whenever that will be.

I disagree with you about flight and ASQ, but nevertheless I have already booked both, but i don't know when I will travel, so where is the logic in booking them? What if my application is rejected? This requirement is unnecessary and illogical.

The ridiculous issue I see is the requirement for a Covid-19 free certificate, Fit to Fly document, Quarantine and Flight bookings - all for what amounts to a ‘maybe’

Surely logic dictates (I know, I know), that once a Certificate of Entry has been issued (based on Marriage or whatever reason), flights and quarantine can then be booked, once confirmed, Covid-19 free certificate and the Fit to Fly document can be secured and presented upon checkin. 

The (apparent) requirement for 2 Covid-19 tests and 2 Fit to Fly documents due the 72 hr restriction makes the first issues of said certification somewhat moot.

At the moment bookings would have to be made to an airport we don’t know will be accepting international flights. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thanks 1

I am posting my experience with the COE in this Thread:

My last response is #170.  No response back yet on if we need flight and quarantine lodging already paid for to get the COE since the link they gave me for the COE is to the online non-O Certificate online application here in the US.  Will post in aforementioned Thread if I hear anything.

Edited by DrPhibes
missing text

18 hours ago, longway said:

I've not applied yet, I plan to visit the embassy next Wednesday and get the ball going.

This was their reply: 

Its crazy that I have to book my flight (are there flights?) and ASQ prior to application. And why do they need a fit to fly and COVID test at this stage?

I asked for clarification on these points and suggested that I send in documents pertaining to 1,2, 4, and 8 and get my application started, but I got no reply. So will visit in person I see what they say.

Anyway this is all I can show you. Happy to keep the forum updated as I get further down the process.

Crazy thing is that you need "fit to fly" i.e. neg. test to apply but you may need to wait for 10 days to get approval acc. to Thai website in Austria.  By then the neg. test is no longer valid. Or do I get something wrong? 

Just for info: They only issue B-visa, no other.

1 hour ago, Letseng said:

Crazy thing is that you need "fit to fly" i.e. neg. test to apply but you may need to wait for 10 days to get approval acc. to Thai website in Austria.  By then the neg. test is no longer valid. Or do I get something wrong? 

Just for info: They only issue B-visa, no other.

Thats my gripe... 

It seems there is a requirement to submit a ‘Fit to Fly’ and ‘Covid-19’ free certificate upon application for the Certificate of Entry. But it will take time (how many days? 10? 20?) for clearance and thus we will need to submit the same documents within 3 days of flight.

In the UK, [www.samedaydoctor.co.ukSame day Doctor are quoting £370 for a Covid-19 test and Fit to Fly Certification...  

Screenshot 2020-06-29 at 10.09.34.png

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thats my gripe... 

It seems there is a requirement to submit a ‘Fit to Fly’ and ‘Covid-19’ free certificate upon application for the Certificate of Entry. But it will take time (how many days? 10? 20?) for clearance and thus we will need to submit the same documents within 3 days of flight.

In the UK, [www.samedaydoctor.co.ukSame day Doctor are quoting £370 for a Covid-19 test and Fit to Fly Certification...  

Thanks that is one of the things I had been researching. Its worth noting they only have clinical facilities in London and Manchester though. 

Too difficult and too expensive for me yet. Will see what next month brings. 

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thats my gripe... 

Taking a COVID test and getting the result in enough time to fly within the 72 hour limit is a challenge in itself. There is a place in London called 'The Doctors Laboratory' where all the tests that are done in clinics are sent to be analysed. The good news is you can go to them directly and cut out the middle man, and hopefully this will speed up the process of getting results. The wrinkle is that you need a doctor's referral letter to get a test from them directly.

https://www.tdlpathology.com/

If the Thai embassy insists that I need a COVID test and fit to fly cert prior to applying for a COE, I will use this route as a test run to see if I can get the test result within 48 hours, which will give me enough time to get on a flight to Thailand before the 72 hour expiry time.

I cant remember the price offhand, but it is significantly cheaper than what is quoted above. I think other places have quoted around £160, so TDL should not be more than that.

Eg http://www.bluehorizonbloodtests.co.uk/

Edited by longway

On 6/28/2020 at 10:38 PM, longway said:

This was their reply: 

"

On 6/28/2020 at 10:28 PM, richard_smith237 said:

This was their reply: 

Dear Sir/Madame,

Thank you for your inquiry, you can apply for the Certificate of Entry. You are required to submit all documents requested for an approval as follows, 

1.  Copy of Passport
  3.  Covid-Free Health Certificate (Fit to Fly)
  5.  Covid test
  6.  Flight Ticket
  7.  Alternative State Booking

Once we received all these document, we will send a request for an approval to the government. We cannot tell how long the approval will take. 

Please note that the Covid19 test and fit to fly letter need to be dated not more than 72 hours before travelling.

"Its crazy that I have to book my flight (are there flights?) and ASQ prior to application. And why do they need a fit to fly and COVID test at this stage?"

Item 3 on the list says 'Covid-Free Health Certificate (Fit to Fly)'

Item 5 on the list says 'Covid test'

Then:  'Please note that the Covid19 test and fit to fly letter need to be dated not more than 72 hours before travelling.'

So confusing. Further the Thai Embassy in Sydney is saying that this application must be lodge no sooner than 10 days before the flight date.

So how can the Covid tests be acceptable for the certificate application (10 days before travel) if they can be no older than 72 hrs before travelling? 

I'm lost.

18 minutes ago, scorecard said:

So confusing. Further the Thai Embassy in Sydney is saying that this application must be lodge no sooner than 10 days before the flight date.

I haven't heard of such a thing...

Can you provide a link?

Thank you.

Today I received this response from the Thai Embassy (London): 

They respond to the following e-mail address: [email protected]

I’ve attached the declaration form to this post.

--------------------

Dear Sir/Madame,

Thank you for your inquiry, you can apply for the Certificate of Entry.

You are required to submit all documents requested for an approval as

follows,

1.  Copy of Passport
  3.  Covid-Free Health Certificate (Fit to Fly)*
  5.  Covid test*
  6.  Flight Ticket
  7.  Alternative State Booking*

Please note that the Covid19 test and fit to fly letter need to be dated

not more than 72 hours before travelling.

*It is the rules to send requested document along with the application for consideration which means you probably need to do the test twice. However, it could be sent later for those who will travel in sometimes later. Please note that we cannot guarantee the result of the consideration. It is always better to send all document requested in one go to avoid any disappointing as there are a lot of departments to consider the application. 

You would also need to please explain the reason why you would like to travel to Thailand on the same email submitted the application and supporting document for us to send to the Ministry of foreign affairs. 

Once we received all these document, we will send a request for an

approval to the government. We cannot tell how long the approval will take and cannot guarantee the result of application.

Best regards
Consular Officer,
Royal Thai Embassy, London
29-30 Queen's Gate 
London
SW7 5JB
Tel: 02072255500

Declaration-spouse of Thai.pdf

3 hours ago, scorecard said:

Item 3 on the list says 'Covid-Free Health Certificate (Fit to Fly)'

Item 5 on the list says 'Covid test'

Then:  'Please note that the Covid19 test and fit to fly letter need to be dated not more than 72 hours before travelling.'

So how can the Covid tests be acceptable for the certificate application (10 days before travel) if they can be no older than 72 hrs before travelling? 

I'm lost.

Ultimately - the Covid-19 Test and Fit to Fly Certificate need to be take / issued twice - once upon application (more than 10 days before flight) and again after receiving the Certificate of Entry no more than 72 hours before departure. 

The trick is finding a Test Facility that won’t charge you though the nose for a Covid-19 test AND certificate who can do this within 72 hrs (ideally within 48 hrs) as no one wants to be travelling to an Airport while still waiting for confirmation of an e-mailed certificate.

I’m assuming these certificates are to be shown to someone upon check-in at the airport - But Who? Airline Check-in staff? How are they qualified to recognise the real thing from a fake document someone made up at home?

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

*It is the rules to send requested document along with the application for consideration which means you probably need to do the test twice. However, it could be sent later for those who will travel in sometimes later. Please note that we cannot guarantee the result of the consideration. It is always better to send all document requested in one go to avoid any disappointing as there are a lot of departments to consider the application.

At least they're admitting that it is unreasonable to request the covid test and fit-to-fly certs well in advance of the proposed travel.

Could it be that a revision of the rules coming in the final reading effective July?

Edited by unheard