Cambodia and Laos happy as Thailand reopens 37 border checkpoints

geovalin

BANGKOK, June 30 (Xinhua): Thailand will reopen checkpoints on the border with all neighboring states to resume cross-border cargo transport and trading from Wednesday (July 1), according to the Center for Covid-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) chaired by Prime Minister Prayut Chan-O-Cha.

CCSA decided on Monday to reopen a total of 37 checkpoints on the borders with Myanmar, Laos, Cambodia and Malaysia, so that cargoes can be transported and traders can be allowed to cross the border, said CCSA spokesman Thaweesilp Visanuyothin.

That is part of the phase-5 easing of Thailand's lockdown measures against the pandemic. The Thai border checkpoints which will be reopened include 14 connected with Laos, eight with Myanmar, seven with Cambodia and eight with Malaysia, according to the CCSA spokesman.

Laos and Cambodia, particular, will be happy as they can continue business and trading dealings which has slowed down due to the Covid-19 pandemic.

However, tourists from the neighbouring countries are not allowed to enter Thailand via these border checkpoints.

read more https://www.thestar.com.my/aseanplus/aseanplus-news/2020/06/30/cambodia-and-laos-happy-as-thailand-reopens-37-border-checkpoints

• Like 1

3 hours ago, yuyiinthesky said:

So non-traders cannot go from Cambodia to Thailand, but how about from Thailand to Cambodia?

+1

I would like to know that as well.

I was thinking if I get an ordinary ( business visa ) from Cambodian Embassy, could I enter by this route, but probably not as there is a $3000 bond to be paid and covid certificates to be handed in.

I don't think land borders are geared up for this.

• Like 1

It's still positive news.  Tourists might still not be allowed to cross, but what about non-tourists?  It's a relaxation and I would think some border crossings might be more flexible than others.  As someone who has a family stranded in Laos, near a border crossing, they are going to give it a go in the next few days.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Scouse123 said:

+1

I was thinking if I get an ordinary ( business visa ) from Cambodian Embassy, could I enter by this route, but probably not as there is a $3000 bond to be paid and covid certificates to be handed in.

AFAIK Cambodia is nto allowing entry by land. Have to fly in and undergo COVID testing etc right at the airport

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

It's still positive news.  Tourists might still not be allowed to cross, but what about non-tourists?  It's a relaxation and I would think some border crossings might be more flexible than others.  As someone who has a family stranded in Laos, near a border crossing, they are going to give it a go in the next few days.

Nobody is supposed to cross except traders, and those only to enter border market area.,

That said, there seem to be some variations in what actually goes on at some border crossings, for example 1-02 crossings in Issan are letting Cambodians from neighboring border provinces enter for shopping and private medical care under a local "arrangement" that seems to fly under the radar of the powers that be.

If the person stranded in Laos is a Thai citizen they should apply for a repatriation flight.

• Like 1

Just now, Sheryl said:

Nobody is supposed to cross except traders, and those only to enter border market area.,

That said, there seem to be some variations in what actually goes on at some border crossings, for example 1-02 crossings in Issan are letting Cambodians from neighboring border provinces enter for shopping and private medical care under a local "arrangement" that seems to fly under the radar of the powers that be.

If the person stranded in Laos is a Thai citizen they should apply for a repatriation flight.

They're not Thai.  I agree that by the letter of the policy they are not supposed to cross, but I've been told there is a chance, so they're going to try.  My (British) son is only 5 years old.  If they can cross, there is a State quarantine facility that I've been told they can use.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scouse123 said:

+1

You're right, they're not. You have to enter by air.

16 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Exactly. And it seems to be a one way flow, which I find astounding since Thailand is a more powerful country...they should demand reciprocity. It also makes a mockery of the whole quarantine and disease control thing.

Three Pagodas Pass is reportedly allowing Burmese traders and shopkeepers across (the border is very porous anyway and despite an army presence they don't have the resources to prevent someone slipping in or out a back gate) but only within 3km (or less of the crossing) and no vehicles can cross in either direction. This has been going on for several weeks now I've been told.

20 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

One more thing I wanted to mention - that's not necessary. Thais have been allowed to cross the border by land since the beginning and hundreds, if not thousands, have crossed back from Laos, Myanmar, Cambodia and Malaysia. They may need to seek permission first through the Thai consulate or embassy in the country of departure though.

In light of this news, I'm wondering if some borders, especially Phu Nam Ron-Htee Khee (Kanchanaburi-Dawei) on the Thai-Myanmar border, might make a local agreement allowing foreigners to do a "border run" to renew their visas.

Given one Thai-Cambodian border has been allowing Cambodians free access for medical treatment (apparently) not sure what documents they require, and Three Pagodas allowing some Burmese traders to cross rather freely as well, I see no reason why Phu Nam Ron can't follow suit.

In fact, I think by the end of the month there will be an announcement on that. Even if no further access other than Htee Khee is allowed, or even if an agent has to be used to take your passport to the Burmese side, it's a win-win for both sides as money goes into officials' pockets.

6 hours ago, yuyiinthesky said:

So non-traders cannot go from Cambodia to Thailand, but how about from Thailand to Cambodia?

Unfortunately, No, Cambodia is NOT ISSUING tourist visas. These border re-openings are for TRADE and repatriation purposes ONLY.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

AFAIK Cambodia is nto allowing entry by land. Have to fly in and undergo COVID testing etc right at the airport

This is correct and entry is via Pnom Penh International Airport. As previously mentioned, apart from the $3000 payment, medical insurance and health certificates, you must undergo a covid test on arrival, stay overnight in a designated hotel (all expenses deducted from the $3,000) until the result of the test is known.

Official details (which includes the $3,000 deposit)

• Possess a COVID-19 negative medical certificate issued no more than 72 hours prior to the date of travel and proof of medical insurance coverage of at least $50,000;
  • Undergo a COVID-19 test upon arrival and wait in official facilities to receive laboratory results. In the event one or more travelers on an arriving vessel/flight test positive, all passengers must undergo a 14-day quarantine at a location designated by Cambodian authorities. If all travelers test negative, health authorities will require travelers to self-isolate for 14-days at their home or lodging under supervision of local authorities.  Health authorities will then oversee another COVID-19 test on the 13th day of self-isolation.

Also note:- when you arrive at your home or lodging/hotel you must get registered on the new FPCS app (onus on landlord/owner, not you). FPCS is "Foreign Persons in Cambodia System".

Fortunately, I was able to "escape" Thailand back in mid-February just as the paranoia was commencing and without any of the above restrictions!

Edited by Burma Bill
additional information

1 hour ago, drbeach said:

In light of this news, I'm wondering if some borders, especially Phu Nam Ron-Htee Khee (Kanchanaburi-Dawei) on the Thai-Myanmar border, might make a local agreement allowing foreigners to do a "border run" to renew their visas.

Given one Thai-Cambodian border has been allowing Cambodians free access for medical treatment (apparently) not sure what documents they require, and Three Pagodas allowing some Burmese traders to cross rather freely as well, I see no reason why Phu Nam Ron can't follow suit.

In fact, I think by the end of the month there will be an announcement on that. Even if no further access other than Htee Khee is allowed, or even if an agent has to be used to take your passport to the Burmese side, it's a win-win for both sides as money goes into officials' pockets.

I very much doubt Thailand will allow foreigners to enter by land any time soon. We may see these borders open to Thai and Cambodian/Burmese nationals first.

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

I very much doubt Thailand will allow foreigners to enter by land any time soon. We may see these borders open to Thai and Cambodian/Burmese nationals first.

Yes I agree with you, but initially for trade/employment purposes. For reference, Cambodia and Vietnam have now opened borders for their nationals but mainly for local trade purposes I believe. Tourists (even stranded ones) and other foreigners are not allowed as no tourist visas are being issued. Cambodian traders have been petitioning local authorities in Poi Pet to have the border opened for trade purposes across in Aranyaphratet's  Rong Kluea Market but the Thai authorities are refusing. Cargo lorries and trucks delivering supplies no problem.

32 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

Yes I agree with you, but initially for trade/employment purposes. For reference, Cambodia and Vietnam have now opened borders for their nationals but mainly for local trade purposes I believe. Tourists (even stranded ones) and other foreigners are not allowed as no tourist visas are being issued. Cambodian traders have been petitioning local authorities in Poi Pet to have the border opened for trade purposes across in Aranyaphratet's  Rong Kluea Market but the Thai authorities are refusing. Cargo lorries and trucks delivering supplies no problem.

Trade, employment and I would hope medical care. Cambodians depend heavily on Thailand for medical care and the Thai private hospitals must surely miss the revenue.

For that matter no reason not to let Cambodians  across under the usual 14 day reciprocal visa exemption scheme bilaterally agreed to between Thailand and Cambodian given that there has been no community transmission of COVID for many months now in Cambodia.

Won't compensate for all the other foreigners not allowed in but it's something.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

with all the restrictions in place it makes no sense to travel anywhere until Thailand opens all borders an begins re issuing the visa exempt entry.

Have fun..

Edited by zzzzz

1 hour ago, zzzzz said:

with all the restrictions in place it makes no sense to travel anywhere until Thailand opens all borders an begins re issuing the visa exempt entry.

Have fun..

I'm not really looking for fun.  Just need my family to get back home.

In case anyone needs to know - I just got off the phone with international dept of a large private hospital in Bkk and they are able to arrange for Cambodians to get permission to come to Thailand for medical care. Has to be overland (there are currently no flights between PP and Bkk anyhow) and they use one specific "low key" border checkpoint with ambulance transport from the border. It is necessary to submit proof of negative COVID test, probably twice (1 for the initial clearance and another within 72 hours of travel) and apparently there is somewhere in PP that will do it, I didn't bother to get the details yet as it is doubtful we can  afford what a private hospital would cost for the surgery she needs.

But for those who can afford it, it can be done.

Don't bother with Thai Embassy in PP, they will tell you to ask the Cambodian Embassy in Bkk and they won't lift a finger. The private hospitals -- at least the large ones that need foreign patients  - will sort it out for you.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2020 at 8:31 PM, Sheryl said:

Trade, employment and I would hope medical care. Cambodians depend heavily on Thailand for medical care and the Thai private hospitals must surely miss the revenue.

For that matter no reason not to let Cambodians  across under the usual 14 day reciprocal visa exemption scheme bilaterally agreed to between Thailand and Cambodian given that there has been no community transmission of COVID for many months now in Cambodia.

Won't compensate for all the other foreigners not allowed in but it's something.

The 14 day visa exemption has been suspended, just like for other nationalities. Just because Cambodians need hospital care in Thailand because there are no decent hospitals in that country (although I thought the Royal hospitals in Siem Reap and Phnom Penh were up to international standard) is insufficient reason to allow them to enter under that scheme when everyone else is barred.

Cambodians petitioning the Thai government through official channels to enter Thailand for treatment (and foreigners currently in Cambodia) - no issue.

Until the borders formally re-open (or a formal travel bubble is established), there can't be any visa exemptions to allow entry for one nationality but not another, or in this case a unilateral entry into Thailand for Khmers, but not Thais in the other direction.

On 7/1/2020 at 7:56 PM, Burma Bill said:

What Vietnam and Cambodia have agreed to is no different to what Thailand is already allowing - at the Three Pagodas Pass, my friend who lives on the Burmese side tells me Burmese nationals (traders/shopkeepers/employees of companies based in the border town) have been permitted to cross to the Thai side since weeks now.

The traders you mention in Aranyaprathet are probably being allowed across now too (since July 1) - although what's the rush, when there are so few tourists? While I sympathize with their complaints about the long border closures, what they don't understand is that the hands of the governments in this region are tied. At the highest levels of government, an agreement was made at the outset of the crisis to close borders for some unknown period of time and these closures remain ongoing. From the looks of it, border closures are slowly being loosened, but it will probably take several more weeks, and possibly a couple of months before it's back to business as usual.

And the blame could just easily be directed at the Cambodian authorities. Remember November last year? Cambodia closed the Poipet crossing for a day or maybe it was a couple of days (was a bit unclear) to prevent an opposition leader from France (Sam Rainsy), who was also prevented from entering Thailand, to enter Cambodia via land checkpoints. They assumed he wanted to cross from Thailand (rather than Vietnam or Laos), hence the closures. I'm sure traders were furious about that politically motivated decision, which Hun Sen took.

• Thanks 1

On 7/1/2020 at 7:28 PM, Sheryl said:

As I said in my post, the Phu Nam Ron border doesn't require foreigners to leave Thai soil to do a border run. You hand your passport over to an agent to run it across for you. The Burmese side could make money from it, and the Thai side too and it wouldn't breach any disease control rules (even though - as I've repeatedly pointed out, these are already being breached in practice, at Three Pagodas and Chong Chom, among others).

I'm not holding my breath, but given several local agreements such as the ones mentioned have been made under the radar, I wouldn't be surprised if this arrangement comes into being before general travel is allowed. After all, Chong Chom and several other Thai borders have, since 2016, ignored the strict rules made to prevent foreign vehicles (other than ones registered in neighboring countries + Singapore) from entering. The regulations are published in the Royal Gazette, but for whatever reason, a small trickle of overlanders from Europe and several other countries have been allowed to enter Thailand despite not having any guides and they even permitted RVs and campervans (completely banned) from entering as long as they know which borders are "easy" and use those.

More recently, some borders like Mae Sai, where travelers were exploiting this loophole have since cracked down.

My point is that Thailand always seems to be flexible and just because rules and regulations are published in official documents doesn't necessarily mean they will be followed to the letter.

1 hour ago, drbeach said:

Until the borders formally re-open (or a formal travel bubble is established), there can't be any visa exemptions to allow entry for one nationality but not another, or in this case a unilateral entry into Thailand for Khmers, but not Thais in the other direction.

It would need formal opening of the border, yes, but the 14 day entry Cambodians get is entirely separate from the visa exempt entries offered to many Westerners, it comes under an altogether different category of entry under a specific bilateral agreement.

So they definitely could open the borders to 2 way travel by Thais and Khmers if they chose. And since there has been no community transmission of COVID in Cambodia now for several months, hard to see any reason  not to.