Returning poor food at restaurant

OzMan

21 hours ago, Keyser Soze666 said:
21 hours ago, ezzra said:

I'm sorry, if i order something and it is not what i have ordered or the food is not up to standard i send it back, 

Of course you do. Bet you wouldn't do it if the place was owned by a burly farang, and don't say you would.

My experience has been that if something is wrong in a foreigner-run restaurant then it is dealt with professionally. One example, and I'll name Scruffy Murphy's on Soi 23 in Bangkok as my problem there was dealt with in the right way, was that when dining there with my sister my roast chicken was stone-cold. Obviously got out the fridge and they forgot to heat it. The manager not only replaced it and took it off the bill, but we both received an Irish coffee on the house.

When I ate at a Thai-run place, a place that by law in Thailand must remain nameless to protect the guilty,  with my wife and her brother, he and I both ordered the same thing. His came and I didn't receive mine until long after he had finished. When my wife complained to the waitress she burst into tears. That's it. No apology, no refund, nothing at all.

• Like 1

If it's not what you ordered then send it back. If it's not cooked to your liking then be wary about sending it back. Don't upset the chef, especially if he has a recurring cough or weak bladder.????

17 hours ago, CorpusChristie said:

So, you lie to them ?

The waitress would then probably have to pay for it .

You should at least be honest and tell the truth

No i dont lie to them. I ordered a meal and didnt receive it.

4 minutes ago, Bigz said:

Everything is spicy in Thailand get used to it. Jokes aside if I I don't like the food I just pay the bill and never return.

You must at at some ordinary places if they are smothering everything in Chilli to hide the fact the food is rancid !!

• Like 1

Falang or Thai owner of the establishment is irrelevant.  In the case the OP has described, I would ALWAYS send the food back REGARDLESS of the person(s) dining with me.  Politely, but firmly.  Easy peasy.

Edited by LarryLEB

On 7/1/2020 at 7:49 AM, OzMan said:

Result: I paid for a meal I did not ask for and did not eat. What would other members do in this situation?

Well, in most cases I would not do anything – or rather if in the for a farang very affordable places – perhaps order something else.

Twice in almost 20 years I've complained. My neighboring restaurant served me the worst bad smelling fish I ever experienced – it was a so-called fish'n'chips dish that normally is relative expensive in Thailand, must be the price of "chips" – and for once I complained; they excused and didn't charge me for the dish. I was wondering if that was made from a dead fish that has been on display for several days in the "fish boat" by the menu card stand, and by mistake out-and-in of the freezer several times...????

And once I ordered beef stroganoff in a mid priced tourist restaurant – which dish I've had excellent experience with from a few other local restaurants – the dish came last of all dishes in the group, and I'm quite sure the cook had never seen a real "beef stronagoff"-dish and just made-up something in Thai-way-of-imagination with lots of big chili, so I complained, mainly because it was a slightly up-priced big turist oriented resort. I didn't eat it, and I wasn't charged for it either. Kind off lost expectations, so I also lost my appetite, as my friends shouldn't wait for someone in the kitchen to find a recipe and try again...???? 

–As I normally always look at the bright side of life, I got an excellent free-of-charge slimming-diet that day...????????

On 7/1/2020 at 12:50 PM, BritManToo said:

Suspect food was pre-cooked, and just warmed up for customers.

Everyone is served from the same pot.

I wouldn't eat there again.

I would not care what the wife/gf says, if they don't give me what I asked for, I would tell them to take it away and change it for what I did ask for, either that or they don't get paid. Simples.

• Like 1

I send it back if it is not what I ordered & my wife tells them why, same as you I cant eat chilli and always order food with no chilli, if they add chilli the I refuse to accept it and I would never pay for it. They are supposed to take "your" order not what they want to cook for you, same with msg, I have an allergy to it, if I taste it I refuse to eat or pay for it, sounds more like saving face for your gf, has nothing to do with manners, it is the staffs job to make sure the order is correct.

1 minute ago, seajae said:

send it back if it is not what I ordered & my wife tells them why, same as you I cant eat chilli and always order food with no chilli,

I'm not that fussy, if it's hot just need a bit more beer to wash it down.

• Like 1

On 7/1/2020 at 1:03 PM, Keyser Soze666 said:

Of course you do. Bet you wouldn't do it if the place was owned by a burly farang, and don't say you would.

Why wouldn't you return a dish you didn't order? What would be the problem? 

On 7/1/2020 at 1:13 PM, Keyser Soze666 said:

Behave, that's a different story, obviously. Send food back because you say it's rubbish to a farang owner and there is a good chance he would smash the plate over your head. 

Don't say it's rubbish, it might not be to some else, be mannerly about it, and then you won't get it smashed over your head.

On 7/1/2020 at 1:30 PM, steven100 said:

exactly .... the chef, the waiter, the cashier and even the owner won't lose any sleep if you don't come back.

They were probably talking about the fussy farang while heating it up in the kitchen.

and maybe spitting on it.

• Haha 1

On 7/1/2020 at 7:02 AM, Eindhoven said:

Get a new girlfriend. One that backs you up no matter what.

Nonsense about it not being good manners. 'Farangs' also started the tipping business. Good manners did not force the locals to refuse.

If not what you ordered, you can politely let them know. If the choice is between you feeling bad and them feeling bad when it was their mistake...

Just let them know in the nicest way possible. That is good manners.

Your girlfriend was more concerned about her face.

100% correct,g/f may also may have f'd up,and asked for chilli,and did'nt want to be found out.

There are also places,where, if a meal is taken back to the kitchen,the cost is supposedly taken off the waitpersons salary,so they play on the foreigners good nature to accept the meal,and for them not get stung by their bosses'. TIT.

On 7/1/2020 at 1:57 PM, potless said:

I never send anything back. Pay and leave. No desire to sample whatever bodily fluids an offended chef may decide to add to my food.

In my case it would be don't pay and leave, though not if the gf/wife was with me.

20 hours ago, Dumbastheycome said:

Ok. In that instance yes. But having ordered  Spaghetti Carbonara in what  boasted  to be an authentic Italian Restaurant to be served something so chillied up my tonsils joined hands in opposition I think there are moments when a  paying  customer does have some  justification in saying  "Oi".

Don't say "Oi", that sounds like the Thai word for the farangs "C" word. ????

On 7/1/2020 at 5:49 AM, OzMan said:

My GF said that although farangs did this it was not good manners in Thailand. Result: I paid for a meal I did not ask for and did not eat. What would other members do in this situation?

You should return the girlfriend.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, George Aylesham said:

Not poor food, small food. My Thai wife reckoned that the portion served in quite a pricey Japanese restaurant was too small. A second portion was immediately provided (and not charged)

Did she eat the second portion? :bah: