Returning poor food at restaurant

OzMan

Generally no i do not return food as the chef may spit on the next plate.

I leave the plate on the table and order another dish. When the bill arrives i say that the rejected plate was not ordered, thats why its basically untouched.

Its usually not expensive, if they do not charge thats fine. If they fo charge thats fine. In both cases i never return.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, 473geo said:

I am struggling to understand why people would not go back to a restaurant that got one meal a bit too spicy.

I doubt you are going to order the same thing again. Some dishes are very spicy and if you can't stand the heat, just don't order them. Certainly 'not too spicy' to a Thai may well be way too hot for others.

Why the struggle? Why would anyone want to gamble on getting a better dish the second time around? Isn't it better to frequent restaurants where one knows they are getting decent food every time?

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Why the struggle? Why would anyone want to gamble on getting a better dish the second time around? Isn't it better to frequent restaurants where one knows they are getting decent food every time?

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

A guy goes into a restaurant, he does not speak the language, he orders via a third party, the food comes a little more spicy than he expected........surprised?

6 hours ago, steven100 said:

exactly .... the chef, the waiter, the cashier and even the owner won't lose any sleep if you don't come back

Enough  of  those businesses  fail  anyway and I equally  dont give a ...

Often 'service" is  just a  joke.

OP...stand on your own 2 feet and learn how to tell the staff yourself that you don't want the food spicy 

'mai aw pedt khrap'

If you order some food they can't make it not spicy otherwise it would not be that food...for example they can't make Pad Graphaw without basil and chillies. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

OP...stand on your own 2 feet and learn how to tell the staff yourself that you don't want the food spicy 

'mai aw pedt khrap'

If you say this, you will usually still get chillis

To avoid any chillis he would have to say "mai sai prik leuy"

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, 473geo said:

A guy goes into a restaurant, he does not speak the language, he orders via a third party, the food comes a little more spicy than he expected........surprised?

Not an issue for me, I speak Thai reasonably well, and order my own food.

I'm always amused by my food arriving quickly because I decide quickly. My Thai GF will faff around with the menu, examining every item. Then she wonders why her food arrives 20 minutes after mine.

• Haha 1

A few years ago , we ate lunch at a popular Italian restaurant that we'd walk by everyday near home. 

My wife ordered Penne & Sausage. 

The sausage tasted slightly sour. 

Asked the waitress if it was "Nam" (northern style), which should be sour. 

Answer was no, and just a polite smile.

Of course, being a semi professional moron, I had to have a 2nd bite. 

Called a 2nd waitress over. Told her it tasted funny. 

Suggested they toss away what was left in the freezer. 

Again, just a polite smile from waitress  - No apology,  nothing else. 

(It was a Sunday - the owner was not around)

We left for Bangkok on business for a night, where I enjoyed a day of food poisoning.

When we got back, my wife refused to let me talk to the owner.

She didn't want to cause "A problem".

If I was the Owner, I'd want to know what went on when I wasn't around. 

The one time we did return something.

Took a group of cousins to  a large seafood place that catered to Chinese Tours. 

They actually ruined a fruit shake. That got returned. 

Place was shuttered months before the Virus hit.  

I remember ordering a pineapple milk shake when I was in koh Tao many years ago and sat on top was a fly.

I complained and they took it away and came back with a new milk shake.

My girlfriend then laughed so much saying they just scooped it out with there fingers.

Looking back I am just happy I managed to leave the island alive

18 hours ago, bodga said:

get  a  new g/f thats  just  the  normal  Thai bs

If she can't even sort out the food issue what use is she? She should have been the one sending the food back and giving the waitress a hard time.

19 hours ago, OzMan said:

My GF said that although farangs did this it was not good manners in Thailand.

Usual Thai GF/ wife BS. They just don't want to lose face.

Doesn't stop them treating us like <deleted> though.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, kbb said:

A few years ago , we ate lunch at a popular Italian restaurant that we'd walk by everyday near home. 

My wife ordered Penne & Sausage. 

The sausage tasted slightly sour. 

Asked the waitress if it was "Nam" (northern style), which should be sour. 

Answer was no, and just a polite smile.

Of course, being a semi professional moron, I had to have a 2nd bite. 

Called a 2nd waitress over. Told her it tasted funny. 

Suggested they toss away what was left in the freezer. 

Again, just a polite smile from waitress  - No apology,  nothing else. 

(It was a Sunday - the owner was not around)

We left for Bangkok on business for a night, where I enjoyed a day of food poisoning.

When we got back, my wife refused to let me talk to the owner.

She didn't want to cause "A problem".

If I was the Owner, I'd want to know what went on when I wasn't around. 

The one time we did return something.

Took a group of cousins to  a large seafood place that catered to Chinese Tours. 

They actually ruined a fruit shake. That got returned. 

Place was shuttered months before the Virus hit.  

When I was a newbie to LOS and didn't know anything I wanted to tell the waiter that the water he brought was contaminated with lots of black things floating around in it. My GF of the evening told me not to say anything. I took her advice but didn't drink it.

On the islands I ordered an egg salad. They brought me a plate with sliced eggs on it and no salad. I just laughed about that and never ordered a western style meal again. Wasn't worth making a fuss as I was staying at the place- just part of the rich tapestry of Thailand.

Worst food poisoning I ever had in LOS was after eating after an expensive meal at an international food chain restaurant. Never had food poisoning from a cheap place, not even the place on a beach that had a kitchen that looked like it had never been cleaned in years ( I only saw that after eating the food ).

Not just LOS. On holiday in a NZ I had an orange juice for breakfast. One taste and I knew it was off. Told the owner and he just told me nothing wrong with it, but other customers also thought it was bad.

10 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Not an issue for me, I speak Thai reasonably well, and order my own food.

I'm always amused by my food arriving quickly because I decide quickly. My Thai GF will faff around with the menu, examining every item. Then she wonders why her food arrives 20 minutes after mine.

I always hated that they waited ages and then brought the starter at the same time as the main or the dessert at the same time as the main.

Once I realised that was normal I'd order the items one at a time; ie I'd order a starter, and when it arrived order the main, and when that arrived order the dessert.

11 hours ago, jackdd said:

If you say this, you will usually still get chillis

To avoid any chillis he would have to say "mai sai prik leuy"

Easiest way is to order something that doesn't have chillies anyway. They ain't great at making individual changes.

• Like 1

I ordered one time a tonic , but got gin tonic instead. When i told the waitress i wanted only a tonic no gin,she said we don't have.

I just broke 'down an cried and never been back to that place.

To many restaurants available everywhere unless you live in the sticks, so why go back to a place with bad food and or bad service?

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I always hated that they waited ages and then brought the starter at the same time as the main or the dessert at the same time as the main.

Once I realised that was normal I'd order the items one at a time; ie I'd order a starter, and when it arrived order the main, and when that arrived order the dessert.

That's why we don't order rice until the food is on the table. We hate it when we order and the rice turns up instantly, but by the time the food turns up 20mins later it's stone cold and dry.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, terminatorchiangmai said:

I ordered one time a tonic , but got gin tonic instead. When i told the waitress i wanted only a tonic no gin,she said we don't have.

I just broke 'down an cried and never been back to that place.

To many restaurants available everywhere unless you live in the sticks, so why go back to a place with bad food and or bad service?

I lived in the sticks and there was only one restaurant. Had a wonderful view of the rice paddies. Loved eating there as the sun set over the hills. However I only ever ate fried rice chicken as it's very difficult to make a mess of that.

21 hours ago, OzMan said:

What would other members do in this situation?

Absolutely give the GF a warning that her response is unacceptable. Either she ordered wrongly or the cook made a mistake. In no way is "although farangs did this it was not good manners in Thailand" is an acceptable get out clause by blaming you.. her days are numbered with you.

21 hours ago, Keyser Soze666 said:

Of course you do. Bet you wouldn't do it if the place was owned by a burly farang, and don't say you would.

Inconsiderate Reply , you don't know what one would Do . I Know what I Would Do.  :hit-the-fan: