Problem with blood parasites due to tick bites.

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

Thanks, nice story. We have been giving our dog the medicine from the vets for 3 days now and he is definitely improving, eager to go for walks morning and evening, still not eating much though, but he never has been a big eater. We have to continue with the Doxycycline, Milk Thistle and Vitamin E for two weeks and then get another blood test. Hopefully he'll be back to normal.

Good luck with the treatment.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, bbudd said:

My husky near died of this tick born disease-its serious stuff

2 courses of treatment after blood work-came to just over 1000B

Did the other 2 dogs as well(they had no symptoms -just being careful )

They cost a couple hundred for just the meds

Spent another 400B for a good tick spray for the property to stop any further infection

Which Tick spray did you buy?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaiden1 said:

Our dog had the same thing. Took her to the animal hospital in Pattaya. Did the blood tests and saw similar results as your dog. They gave her two types of pills and put an IV in. Took her two times to get the IV fluid. After 4 days she was back to normal. Total cost was just under 1000 baht. Happy with the service.

Is it a government / city hospital to be so cheap ?

So if you all have problems with ticks and parasites, would giving Endex or Bravecto be a good preventive solution ?

17 minutes ago, JWRC said:

I have 3 dogs,  I crush their pills between 2 spoons and then put the powder on a piece of bread and butter, more butter on top of the pill and the dogs cant get it down quick enough, they don't like having pills shoved down their throats and I find this easy and keeps the dogs happy.

Not sure that it's important that they like or not to have the pill in their throat when it's needed.

Same for girls ???? 555

• Haha 1

Over the years, I've tried a few different tablets, powders, injections and sprays to try to keep my dogs tick-free, with varying degrees of success. I am currently using a powder, sold in sachets and is supposed to keep a dog up to 15Kg free of ticks, fleas, various mites & heart worms for 1 month. My dogs are larger than 15Kg, so I administer one sachet to each dog every fortnight and they are relatively tick-free. NB It should not be used on collies, old English sheepdogs or Shetland sheepdogs (stated on sachet). Costs 40 baht per sachet at local shop.

Tick_Powder.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mutt Daeng said:

Over the years, I've tried a few different tablets, powders, injections and sprays to try to keep my dogs tick-free, with varying degrees of success. I am currently using a powder, sold in sachets and is supposed to keep a dog up to 15Kg free of ticks, fleas, various mites & heart worms for 1 month. My dogs are larger than 15Kg, so I administer one sachet to each dog every fortnight and they are relatively tick-free. NB It should not be used on collies, old English sheepdogs or Shetland sheepdogs (stated on sachet). Costs 40 baht per sachet at local shop.

How do you administer it?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

Tick_Powder.jpg

Any lazada or shopee link ? where do you buy it please ?

Just now, Mutt Daeng said:

It's administered orally by mixing with a little milk.

I worry about using some tick medication on my dog, he had a pretty bad reaction to Frontline.

2 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I worry about using some tick medication on my dog, he had a pretty bad reaction to Frontline.

I'm the same as you. It's always a worry when trying  new medication with my dogs, but luckily all good so far.

16 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

If it says not to use on collies it's probably Ivermectin.. not sure the dosage of what you have but it doesn't seem to be on the side that you showed.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kekalot said:

If it says not to use on collies it's probably Ivermectin.. not sure the dosage of what you have but it doesn't seem to be on the side that you showed.

Someone told me it had Ivermectin in it, but it doesn't say that on the sachet.

According to the Google Lens app, the text after the first blue star says "Flea Tick. Use 1 sachet per 15Kg weight 1 time per month". It then talks about mites and heart worms.

I can't read Thai, so I rely on the Lens app to do the translations

• Like 1

Those chewy dog tablets for ticks, which the vet told me also cured *stomach worm* worked a treat for my dog was so much happier with more energy, 400 baht 20kl dog and that was more that five months ago, she has not had 1 tick since.

• Like 1

A problem that has now emerged is his refusal to eat food. We offer him all kinds of titbits, chicken, pork etc but he just turns his head away. Other than that he seems healthy enough, walking twice a day, he's drinking water, so not sure what can be done to give him an appetite.

The diseases would be Babesia or Anaplasmosis ,depending on the tic species,it can be cured by injecting Imidocarp,or trade name Imazole ,it is a cattle drug but can be used on on dogs .

OTC,  Oxyteracycline is normaly used, at the same time.

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

A problem that has now emerged is his refusal to eat food. We offer him all kinds of titbits, chicken, pork etc but he just turns his head away. Other than that he seems healthy enough, walking twice a day, he's drinking water, so not sure what can be done to give him an appetite.

I would give it another couple of days and if he's still not eating, take him back to the vets. 

2 minutes ago, Mutt Daeng said:

I would give it another couple of days and if he's still not eating, take him back to the vets. 

Bought some Royal Canine Recovery, can be given via a syringe orally, will give that a try.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, giddyup said:

Think he probably feels like us when we get quite ill.

Don't want to eat anything.

At least he's drinking water & walking. Sounds very much as if he's getting better, but slowly.

• Like 1