Problem with blood parasites due to tick bites.

Our little dog has looked and acted poorly for the last few days, not eating and generally lethargic. So we took him to the vet and got a blood test which came back showing he has parasites in his blood. Also some other reading that should be around 200 and is only 20, not sure what that was. Haven't picked up the results yet, only given the news over the phone. Vet suggested tablets for the blood parasites, anyone know what they are and the price?

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

That low count would be platlets.

Usual treatment is antibiotic (doxycycline) and steroids, neither is expensive....but long coyrse if tteatment needed.

In severe cases  transfusion etc may be needed.

This is potentially fatal. Take no chances.

Thanks, what about for the blood parasites?

Our little dog had a nasty virus infection in his blood and liver.  Not quite the same thing, but the treatment was similar and effective (steroids) and not too expensive; circa 8,000 Baht if I recall.  Best of luck and I hope the little mite recovers. 

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

That low count would be platlets.

Usual treatment is antibiotic (doxycycline) and steroids, neither is expensive....but long coyrse if tteatment needed.

In severe cases  transfusion etc may be needed.

This is potentially fatal. Take no chances.

Thanks, what about for the blood parasites?

4 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Our little dog had a nasty virus infection in his blood and liver.  Not quite the same thing, but the treatment was similar and effective (steroids) and not too expensive; circa 8,000 Baht if I recall.  Best of luck and I hope the little mite recovers. 

You have a different opinion of what's expensive than me, 8000 baht is over $400 in my money.

Edited by giddyup
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Sure, its not 'cheap', but in responsibility terms its a no brainer.  You do whatever it takes to get the dog healthy. 

Can't see the average Thai forking out that kind of money.

16 minutes ago, giddyup said:

Can't see the average Thai forking out that kind of money.

That covered 4 visits to the vet, i overnight in the hospital, 3 blood tests and the meds. 

• Like 2

One of my dogs died because of tick bite on 5th decemeber 2019. My other one was on oxyc-something till last week. Also because of tick bite. Neither of these dogs had this problem for the first time.

Tick bites and resulting sickness seems to be reoccurring problem on at least yearly basis in Thailand. 

Local village vet charge me 750 Baht per test kit. And 200 Baht per week wort of pills (3 different kinds). Usually is needed 4 - 6 weeks. But we were neighbors and friends for a long time, not sure if this is regular price.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

The "parasite" is a rickettsia called anaplasma platys. It is treated by doxycycline. When as in this case platlets are deptessed steroids are usually given as well.

As said before the required meds are very cheap. Total costs will of course vary depending on the vet and also whether oral meds alone are sufficient or the dog needs inpatient care. The least expensive source of tteatment are govetnment vet hospitals, there are several in the Bangkok area Kasetsart, Chulalinghorn, Mahidol. But if you are outside Bangkok then have to balabce that against travel costs.

The more you delay the greater the chance of needing more expensive cate or having the dog die.

It is not the meds that account for most of the cost but rather the lab tests and vet fee and, in sevete cases, inpatient care IVs etc.  The more yoy delay the more of both that will be needed.

Prompt treatment with just oral meds can be quite afgordable (hundreds rather than thoysands of baht) but delay may make that insufficient. It may also cost the dog's life.

Thanks Sheryl. Just picked up the meds for the dog, one for the parasites, one for the platelets and one supplement, all up 700 baht. Have to go back in two weeks to check blood again.

• Like 1

After giving my dog his first pill of Doxycycline at midday he has been asleep for 6 hours so far and is still asleep now. Sleeping wasn't a side effect that is mentioned. I hope he's not having a bad reaction.

Op...glad to hear you started your dog on the treatment because they go downhill fast and then so much more difficult to treat.

I have 3 dogs. Over the years all 3 caught this disease..and one had it twice. This is transmitted by ticks. So make sure you treat the house and dogs for tick prevention in the future.

Cost was about 5000 baht or less. 

Being sleepy is sign of the disease, as well as lack of appetite and they get a high temperature. They get anemic too. 

Make sure your dog gets all the medication and plenty of rest. If he won't eat try him in cooked chicken or liver to tempt him.  Wishing him / her a speedy recovery. ????

Edited by jak2002003
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, giddyup said:

After giving my dog his first pill of Doxycycline at midday he has been asleep for 6 hours so far and is still asleep now. Sleeping wasn't a side effect that is mentioned. I hope he's not having a bad reaction.

It's not the doxy. the disease itself makes them weak and tired.  Keep a close eye.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jak2002003 said:

Op...glad to hear you started your dog on the treatment because they go downhill fast and then so much more difficult to treat.

I have 3 dogs. Over the years all 3 caught this disease..and one had it twice. This is transmitted by ticks. So make sure you treat the house and dogs for tick prevention in the future.

Cost was about 5000 baht or less. 

Being sleepy is sign of the disease, as well as lack of appetite and they get a high temperature. They get anemic too. 

Make sure your dog gets all the medication and plenty of rest. If he won't eat try him in cooked chicken or liver to tempt him.  Wishing him / her a speedy recovery. ????

Vet said liver is a strict no-no while he's taking this medication. Have only been able to get him to eat pieces of bread soaked in a beef broth, but at least he was happy to go for his evening walk. Unfortunately he won't fall for the pills hidden in cheese trick. He will spit them out, so have to resort to getting them to the back of his throat so he has to swallow.

Edited by giddyup

52 minutes ago, jak2002003 said:

Forget to say you can mix the iron nutrition boost medication with his food, and I put the tablets inside small balls of cheese to trick my dogs into eating them. 

The supplement the vet gave me is vitamin E.

On 7/5/2020 at 5:31 PM, giddyup said:

sleep can only help him recover, to preserve his strength.  Is he eating and toileting yet?  That is the surest sign that he is okay.  He must start eating, even if you have to feed him by hand.  We did that for few days until our pup regained his strength. Now he sometimes wants us to do it because he is lazy.   

On 7/4/2020 at 8:12 PM, giddyup said:

You have a different opinion of what's expensive than me, 8000 baht is over $400 in my money.

Expensive, depends how much you love the dog, Blood parasites leave treatment to the vet. 

regards Worgeordie

• Like 1

1 minute ago, worgeordie said:

Expensive, depends how much you love the dog, Blood parasites leave treatment to the vet. 

regards Worgeordie

I have, but I still have to give him the medication myself. BTW, it has only cost about 1500 baht so far, so not expensive.

• Like 2