Channel 7 report: No tourists and desperate times for vendors/ hotels in Pattaya

webfact

On 7/30/2020 at 3:45 PM, ronnie round head said:

there is no high season and low season now just low permanently

Prior to the virus, the "seasons" were evening out.  The seasons were being replaced by a constant stream of cheap package holiday zero baht tourists visiting year round.  

• Like 2

On 7/10/2020 at 5:57 PM, johng said:

Yes just the other day  it was said that Thai tourist had  booked 80-100 % of 3-5 star hotels in Hua Hin

@ prices 3,000 baht up per night....but that the guest houses and budget hotels where almost empty ?

doesn't make sense to me  surely people with no income for months on end..or a measly handout of 5,000 baht per month would be staying at the cheaper accommodation.

Saying that there where a hell of a lot of Bangkok plated vehicles along Jomtien beach road and clogging everywhere else up during those 4 days "holiday" 

( on top of the months of shutdown where do they get the money from ?)

Surely you don't think the hisos will ever be sort of a baht or two?

The events of the late 90s when many of them had to sell the Mercedes in a Bkk car park sale will have educated them.

the planes that once brought tourists are now mothballed in the arizona desert and pilots are being sacked to cut costs so hard to see where any uptick could come from .all arilines are slashing staff and aircraft

On 7/10/2020 at 5:05 PM, Leaver said:

Testing and quarantine is a moot point until travel insurance companies offer coverage for Covid-19.  Until then, even those who wish to travel without insurance, will not be able to get on a flight to get here, because the plane will be empty, and the flight cancelled. 

Thailand can open up boarders tomorrow, but there are a lot of other factors at play than just Thailand opening up their boarders.  

many insurance companies as providing cover for medical treatment due to the virus, some are even covering cancelled flight, hotels, holidays due to the virus.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/07/coronavirus-what-it-means-for-your-travel-insurance/

It's quite evident that the Thai's interviewed just DON'T GET the big picture of what is happening throughout the world... understandable when you look at the level of education most have.  The country is pretty much locked down for tourists... there are NO TOURISTS COMING!!  Hotels are going to remain closed and broke, same for small business and vendors.... thats a fact of life now for anyone who were involved in the tourist industry.  There's not going to be a high season... its going to remain dead for quite some time.

• Like 2

On 8/10/2020 at 1:54 AM, samsensam said:

many insurance companies as providing cover for medical treatment due to the virus, some are even covering cancelled flight, hotels, holidays due to the virus.

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2020/07/coronavirus-what-it-means-for-your-travel-insurance/

Interesting article.  

I note it was published on 31/7/20, so quite recent.

It seems like UK residents can secure travel insurance for Thailand, but still, many other countries have their Foreign Office warnings and therefore no travel insurance.    

On 8/12/2020 at 10:36 AM, Leaver said:

Interesting article.  

I note it was published on 31/7/20, so quite recent.

It seems like UK residents can secure travel insurance for Thailand, but still, many other countries have their Foreign Office warnings and therefore no travel insurance.    

I already have insurance for Thailand and I am here.

Speaking to locals yesterday, some of them were hoping that the country would be open as soon as next month. I had to disabuse them of that notion. Either that are not being informed or they are not following events.

More and more apparently homeless people roaming around these days. Seriously don't know how many of them survive. The one thing that helps is that food is cheap and readily available and water available for a single baht.

But do they know that things are not going to get better for months on end? Government and local government may need to step in.

On 8/18/2020 at 9:28 AM, Eindhoven said:

Speaking to locals yesterday, some of them were hoping that the country would be open as soon as next month. I had to disabuse them of that notion. Either that are not being informed or they are not following events.

More and more apparently homeless people roaming around these days. Seriously don't know how many of them survive. The one thing that helps is that food is cheap and readily available and water available for a single baht.

But do they know that things are not going to get better for months on end? Government and local government may need to step in.

What insurance have you got?  Is it travel insurance?  If so, can I ask your country of citizenship?  This matters, because if your country of citizenship have placed a travel warning on Thailand, and one still decides to travel here, then they are not covered.

I agree.  The average Thai hanging around Pattaya waiting for the boarders to open has no idea that tourists will just not come flooding in.  It's going to take months and months to get anywhere near pre Covid numbers.  Airlines and travel insurance being of great importance to the travel industry, worldwide.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Leaver said:

What insurance have you got?  Is it travel insurance?  If so, can I ask your country of citizenship?  This matters, because if your country of citizenship have placed a travel warning on Thailand, and one still decides to travel here, then they are not covered.

I agree.  The average Thai hanging around Pattaya waiting for the boarders to open has no idea that tourists will just not come flooding in.  It's going to take months and months to get anywhere near pre Covid numbers.  Airlines and travel insurance being of great importance to the travel industry, worldwide.  

It's travel insurance and I am fully covered.

On 8/18/2020 at 2:28 PM, Eindhoven said:

It's no more than what happens every low season. Strange how this time it's "different". The unemployed bargirls used to go home to the village, so what's different now?

You are right about FARANGS not coming back anytime soon, but I fully expect the Chinese to be back in the not so distant future, not that they spend much if any money on bars and suchlike.

On 8/20/2020 at 3:49 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

It's no more than what happens every low season. Strange how this time it's "different". The unemployed bargirls used to go home to the village, so what's different now?

No tourists for the foreseeable future, and only then will they be trickling in. 

Many bars closed down, so less chances for a salaried "job."  That means freelancing, even out of a bar, but a lot more competition for very few "customers."

Many bar girls would be better off financially staying in the village for the next 12 months.  

On 8/20/2020 at 3:49 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

Says someone who is obviously not in Pattaya now. It is absolutely very very different than any low season you have ever seen the past.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, morrobay said:

Says someone who is obviously not in Pattaya now. It is absolutely very very different than any low season you have ever seen the past.

even when (if) the borders open in the future there will be a fear amongst passengers to fly to a foreign land,there is also a naff off recession or should it be depression in the post,so think things are going to be very differant in the future,and believe you me i hope i,m 100% wrong on this.

• Like 1

On 8/17/2020 at 6:59 AM, roy bennett said:

The many scammers in Pattaya have no right to expect customer loyalty and return visits from their victims or to lament their loss. There was always the philosophy among them that there will always be plenty more suckers, the flow is endless and their monumental disrespect is all the tourists and foreign residents deserve. However, the many sincere and honest people among the small traders and food and drink outlets should not be classed with the latter as they will starve if they have to depend for long on Thai customer loyalty.

Indeed the endless supply of first time (Western) visitors that were taken for granted  has ended. And this has been underway for a while. August used to be a high low season month for Europeans along the beach. Take a look at photos of the Albanian coast. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, morrobay said:

I'm not there but I get the picture.

Doesn't matter if they lose job because of low season or because of virus, still have to go back to village. The only difference is it affects more of them now.

I've been in a bar beer ( before virus ) when the girls were told that the bar would be closing because of low season- wasn't a happy night at all.

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'm not there but I get the picture.

Doesn't matter if they lose job because of low season or because of virus, still have to go back to village. The only difference is it affects more of them now.

Says someone who obviously is not in Pattaya now. And this is about a lot more than the girls